Downton Creek - Oh Canada! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Downton Creek - Oh Canada!

We were on the road from Vancouver at 7:30 Saturday morning and after a brief stop in Whistler we were at the Downton Creek trailhead at noon. The directions are as listed in Matt Gunn's book. There was an update that said to go left, not right at the 5.7km mark but that correction is false. The road is in good shape, the washout at 4.4km has been repaired. The last 4k on Branch 2 were rougher with some shallow waterbars, but no 4wd necessary, only high clearance.

The trail has recently been trimmed and there was plenty of flagging. One fast flowing creek to jump in the meadows just before the lake but if you go downstream about 20m there is a narrower gap. Made for easy jumping with a backpack and a baby. Yes! A baby! It was my first trip with my daughter who just turned 1. I never had the confidence to take my son backpacking when he was that small, but this time I had a friend visiting from Europe and she was needing a serious alpine fix before heading home so I jumped at the chance. In all, we had 3 experienced hikers, 2 brand new backpackers and 1 baby. We made it to the campsite by the lake in just over 2 hours. It was HOT.

We got to the lake and passed by the first clearing with at least 8 tents... that was surprising. We set up just beyond them and soon enough about a dozen guys came back from their adventure. They told us they were part of a stag party and would likely be quite noisy. They even had a keg of beer flown in!!

After we set up we set out to explore. Followed the trail up past the treeline and did some rambling around. SO MUCH WATER! Barely any snow. Some wildflowers. All in all a really stunning place with so many possibilities for exploring.

Headed back to camp, dinner and bed. The stag party was quiet all night. The baby was not... We were packed up and back on the trail at noon on Monday - Happy Canada Day! No better way to celebrate our beautiful wilderness! It took us less than an hour to get back to the car. It was so hot. Again stopped in Whistler on the way home for refreshments. The thermometer read 39C.

I had been anxious about several things while preparing for this first trip with a baby. 1)The drive. Not much you can do about that but take lots of breaks. 2)The Downton Creek FSR. Turned out to be pretty straight forward and in good shape. I drive a Delica and we had no problems. 3)Snow. There was none! Partially why we went so far from the city. I figured that side of the Duffey would be hotter and drier and we'd be ok. This was true, however I hadn't anticipated the heatwave and it was scorching. 4)Bugs. No bugs! Hurrah! 5)Tenting with a baby who only sleeps well in her crib. She was up a few times and she hollered, but overall it wasn't so bad. It's only one night, being tired is ok.

So yes! We did it! Thinking about where to go next...

More photos here: http://flickr.com/photos/jebusthecat...th/9192353373/

Here are our SPOT updates from our campsite by the lake and from when we went exploring.
http://www.findmespot.com/mylocation/?id=Ciy15
http://www.findmespot.com/mylocation/?id=Cje48
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Very good of all of you for getting out and enjoying the outdoors, and a beautiful day it was. Some very nice shots there.

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Thanks for the update on the area. Nice to not have any bugs too.

[8D]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

That's a seriously cute kid you got there ! SO glad the bugs weren't out yet ... they can be brutal up there!

Re: Stag party. I sure hope they cleaned up after themselves and packed everything out.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 04:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Now THAT is a cute baby picture ... absolutely adorable

and a perfect background too. Nice
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Great trip, nice to share an amazing place with the little one too!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Lucy is a very lucky little girl. Hats off to you, mom and dad. : )

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Summit Master

Very awesome. Thanks for the update
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Glad you had a good trip after your concerns. Keg flown in? Really? Those guys weren't making an honest effort!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Good on you!! [^]
Just need a little more flowers and ready to go back there. Especially since the road has improved.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Spunky

That's a seriously cute kid you got there ! SO glad the bugs weren't out yet ... they can be brutal up there!

Re: Stag party. I sure hope they cleaned up after themselves and packed everything out.

I hope they cleaned up too. I might be wrong, but as we were leaving it really made it sound like they were getting ready to be flown out. There weren't many cars at the trailhead so maybe?? They left food out overnight, which is disappointing considering how careful we were. Makes no difference if your neighbours aren't going to be bear aware.

The bugs. I was so relieved! I'd been up in Marriott Basin a few years ago in July and they were INSANE. So relieved.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 07:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jencloss
[

Can't get lost with that colorful outfit
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Well done. [8D]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page