Whistler Peak and Garibaldi Lake - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.
Default Whistler Peak and Garibaldi Lake

On June 17th my friends and I spent two nights in Whistler so that we could hike. On Tues. morning we were the first to arrive at the Gondola. Weather was not the best but we were hopeful. Arrived at the top of the mountain. crossed peak to peak (my friends had never been across). Looked down at the Singing Pass Trail. So cool. Blackcomb was covered in cloud so we came back to the roundhouse.

Our plan was to hike the Musical Bumps trail. head to Russet Lake but once at the top we found out that the Peak Chair was closed and all but one trail was open. We knew that we could attempt the hike if we wanted to but due to the changing weather decided to forget it. Hiked up Whistler Peak instead taking the road.

Fortunately the clouds started to clear and we could see what I learned was called the Sun Bowl and what appeared to be the peaks that are part of the Musical Bumps trail.

We continued up the road surprised at the amount of snow.

Harmony Hut (closed).

When we arrived at the top of Whistler Peak we were fortunate to see the clouds rolling away so that we could snap a few different pictures. Can someone tell me what the small lake is called? Thanks in advance.

Heading back down it was cool to see that the Fitzsimmon Valley had cleared plus we were lucky to see a family of 3 bear from the gondola.

In the evening we chilled out in the village. Old ladies.

WED. our plan was GARIBALDI LAKE! For a month this lake was calling my name!

The junction for Taylor Meadows:

Then came across this gorgeous little lake called Barrier Lake.

From here patches of snow started. Nothing major and no need for spikes or snowshoes.

The last km seemed the longest then Garibaldi Lake omg I'd dreamed of this moment: (9 km in).

Once there we noticed the hut! We went in and had our lunch as it was beginning to pour with rain! When we came out it was Nikki who said it was warmer outside the hut than in.

A few more pictures of the lake. I'm a photo junkie.

On the way back:

Also since it had cleared we decided to check out the Barrier viewpoint 100 m off the main trail. Wow and spectacular!

More from the trail:

Waneta's vehicle had not been broken into! Thank God.

All in all it was a great two days despite the weather and we all bought the Whistler hiking season pass so we can go back for more!

Thanks Waneta (CT lurker) and Nikki for joining me. Glad you both could make it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Headed for the Mountains

that lake in question in Corrie Lake
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Headed for the Mountains

the lake in question in Corrie Lake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 01:11 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

I remember the I first saw The Barrier back in my teens, it took my breath away.

Actually still does, even after all the many times.

Garibaldi Lake's a real good destination for around there when the weather's iffy. We'd done that numerous times, too.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

what a great way to spend two days with some good friends!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Excellent way to enjoy hiking in the area, by spending a few nights to cut down on the lengthy travel time. I was thinking of you being in Whistler the day we headed up Wedgemount Lake to attempt Mt. Weart.

Your pictures bring warm feelings of my time up Whistler years ago with our club.

Glad you had a great time with your friends. and thanks your car was fine you got back to it. Was thinking same on Sunday.

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Awesome report Janice!!!
Thanks for sharing :-)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Headed for the Mountains

your picts are great......love that area
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks again Janice for the invite to invade Whistler with you, it was great! Even if the weather and the bus schedule played games with us.

Whistler Peak,
Trip up to the Roundhouse and waiting for the clouds to lift

Lets go on an adventure

Garibaldi Lake,

And it was way warmer outside of the hut than inside, that there is a true story!

Thanks again ladies for the great trip, we should plan another sometime
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

Thanks Eagle Ridge Hiker.
tu: nice hike in the pouring rain.
Thanks Yvonne.
Karl: I showed them Weart Mtn. where you were the day before and yes we were very fortunate that my parents let us spend 2 nights at their club.
Kelly: you'll have to join us sometime. Awesome hikes with views.
Nikki: Terrific set of photos! Love your funny ones (there's Whistler Mtn. and looking down at the fog!).

Also one thing I forgot to add to this report is that the mosquitoes were nasty! but only when we stopped. I had a long sleeve top on and my arms are covered in mosquito bites.

Also the second night in the hottub we met a lady from Coquitlam who told us that 5 yrs ago she had been attacked by an agressive and hungry black bear in her backyard. She showed us her injuries (arm. back. abs) and told us she had to have 100 staples to her head. Was in hospital for 23 days. Very lucky to be alive! I asked for her autograph. she laughed and later we realized we should have had our picture taken with her. Brave woman! and a positive spirit! Cool to have met her in person. I vaguely remember the media reports.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 03:47 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kanike
Love the shot of the clouds.
Garibaldi has always been a popular place. You can hike it many times and never get tired of the place.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Nice TR and photos Kanike. Make sure you do the High Note Trail when it opens. Last year (early August) caught the blooming wildflowers!

Speaking of which...I am thinking of doing Musical Bumps AND carrying onto High Note (via Singing Pass), take Summit chair and gondola down. Would you say approx 26-28 km? I've done SP, Russet and MB before, just looking for variation. Will try to catch the wildflowers again.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Love it Gals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page