Emancipation Mine Tunnels&Ladner Bridge- May 29/13 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.
Default Emancipation Mine Tunnels&Ladner Bridge- May 29/13

Bev had a good idea about checking out an old mine site. Sounds good to me. Also Ladner Bridge would make an interesting stop as well.

Met in Abbotsford and left at 9 am and drove up the Coq. and took Carolin Mines Road exist before Portia after taking a U-turn route, so we exit off to the right on the highway southbound.

Here are shots arranged to show the outside of the mountain and shaft holes showing. There are 4 holes; 2 at the bottom, one is a dead end...... and 2 at the top.
[u]*Photos posted May 29*</u>

Additional photos posted today (May 31)

After leaving the Mine headed back to the vehicle, a brief view. But the rain was coming down.

We entered from the bottom, explored many chambers each with many forks, some travel down ramps, and others head up. Reminds me of a honeycomb. The mining railines inside helped us keep our bearings.... as we were deep in at a higher level, Bev saw a light... He exited through a narrow hole in the rock, I took a ramp up with head room.... into a chamber with opening to the outside. Countless stranglers of roots hanging from the rocky ceiling. Eerie...

Forgot to mention, there was a deep long pool of water about 1 foot and more deep, just inside of the entry passage. Did some tippy-toe walk on submerged rocks to avoid waterlogging the boots.

Later on tomorrow (Thursday), | will edit this report to include Ladner Bridge.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Off the Beaten Path

COOL !
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 02:02 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

[like]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 02:05 AM
High on the Mountain Top

That looks like a creepy place. Neat report.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

That doth not look like Carolin mine at all. That looks more like the Emancipation Mine that was set up further down the mountain closer to the KVR tracks. Carolin mines is an active mine run by http://www.nafinance.com/zGetCompany...=Lad&langCd=En
At Carolin mines you can drive a Greyhound bus into the mountain as the tunnels ( horizontal ) are wide and high. There are several access shafts ( vertical ) and Stopes ( diagonal ) that are being redeveloped to go after a lesser grade of gold.
Nice place to visit for history tho.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

Interesting! I'm looking fwd to your Ladner Bridge pics as I've been there several times and will be curious what you say about the area closest to the bridge.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Thanks for your compliments everyone. Bruce is correct, checked further this is not the Carolin Mine, but the much older Emancipation Mine with some rich history.

HISTORY

In 1910, during the construction of the Kettle Valley railway (now abandoned) along the Coquihalla River valley, prospectors exploring the valley and its tributaries for gold found several gold prospects. Between 1913 and 1915, the Emancipation claims plus other adjoining claims were staked by Messrs. M. Merrick, Wm. Thompson and H. Beech to cover gold-bearing quartz veins. Since the discovery, the claims have experienced sporadic exploration and mining activity. During the early life of the Emancipation mine, from 1916 to 1919, some 95 tons of ore was extracted, and returned over $35,000 (averaging 15 oz/ton). By 1921, considerable amounts of underground development work had been carried out and a five-stamp mill installed with a production capacity of 12 tons per day. The operator was the Liberator Mining Company of Vancouver, B.C. During this period, approximately 118 tons of ore was shipped to Tacoma, Washington, USA, again with a return of approximately $35,000 and an additional 700 tones of sub-ore valued at $15.00 per ton was stockpiled at the mill. Work at the mine was intermittent from 1922 through to 1933, during which time the property changed owners several times with Dawson Gold Mines Ltd. being the major operator. Limited work was done in 1937 by Kettle Valley Gold Mine Ltd. As documented by the B.C. Department of Mines, production figures between 1916 and 1941 from the Emancipation were 2,897 oz. gold and 605 oz. silver; total tons of ore mined is unknown. From consideration of the volumes of drift and stoped ground in the underground workings, material produced has been possibly about 10,000 tons. The substantial waste dump at the No. 2 Portal indicates that only a part of production was considered mill fee.

The 1933 Minister of Mines report provides some interesting but limited information regarding the lower tunnel (4 Level) which until 1991 was inaccessible due to sloughing of overburden at the portal. It is described as 210 feet below No. 2 Level. During 1933, the drift was driven 570 feet with cross-cuts at intervals to east and west with the face at that time nearly directly under the ore body in No. 2 winze. The face at that time (1933) of the drift showed a vein zone of about 11 feet wide with intercalated country rock and some calcite. The central part was well mineralized with sulfides. Chip sample over 8 feet assayed 0.40 oz./ton in gold and 0.10 oz./ton in silver. A picked sampled from the face at that time assayed 2.12 oz./ton in gold. Observations in 1992 suggest that this mineralized area appears to pinch out a short distance to the north along the drift. At that time, ore was being produced from stoping on No. 2 Level and this material was being transported to the mill lower down by the aerial tram. The mill operated at 25 tons per day. Operations by Dawson Consolidated Ltd. continued at least to 1938 but no quantities or grades of production during the latter part of the operation are preserved.

In recent years (1971 and later) due to the increase in price of gold, the Emancipation Mine and adjoining claims experienced renewed exploration. In 1971, Aquarius Resources Ltd. acquired the existing claims and mineral leases (Sunshine and Raymond) and with additional staking, the claims were collectively called the Hope Group. In 1972, A. R. Bullis surveyed, mapped and sampled the underground workings in the Emancipation mine and Dr. G. C. Stephens of Alrae Engineering in 1973 conducted general surface geological mapping on the entire Hope Group. From 1976-79, under the direction of Cochrane Consultants Ltd., an extensive surface exploration program on the claims was carried out which included detailed geochemical soil surveys and ground geophysical work. In 1980, an all-weather road was constructed to the Emancipation Mine and further underground mapping and sampling was performed by in-house Aquarius staff under the direction of D. Cardinal, The following season (1981), an aggressive surface and underground diamond-drilling program was conducted. Results from the drilling program were encouraging and demonstrated the need for continued underground exploratory drilling. However, no further work was conducted until the underground diamond drilling by Homegold Resources Ltd. in 1991-1992 under option from Anglo Swiss Mining Corp.

The work conducted on the Emancipation Mine commenced by Homegold Resources Ltd. during the fall of 1991 with the reopening of the 1.6 km access roads constructed by Aquarius Resources Ltd. in 1980. The roads were overgrown with dense alder trees and brush. An excavator and D8 bulldozer were used to repair and ditch the roads and excavate sloughed material that had covered the 4 Level portal of the Emancipation Mine. A new access road was constructed ramping down from the 3 Level portal to the newly reopened 4 Level portal. The portal was re-timbered, washed out and the 4 Level drift was scaled. Upon completion of the scaling, the drift floor was mucked out, the major obstacle being material from the raise up to 3 Level that had flowed into 4 Level. The narrow gauge (18 inch) track was repaired. A small ore car was set on the tracks and was used to carry the cave material out of the drift. Once the drift was cleaned up, drill stations were established by slashing out openings along the cross-cut and drift walls.

The drill program was designed to explore a possible replacement zone that had been intersected by Aquarius Resources Ltd. in the down-dip extension of the "Boulder" vein. Underground diamond drilling in 1980 and 1981 indicated that sulfide and silica replacement increased with depth and along strike below the 3 Level on the Boulder and subsidiary veins.

The underground workings were surveyed by transit and EDM (S. Nickel and Associates Surveying Ltd.) and accurate plans and sections prepared. A total of 3 holes were drilled in 1991-1992 for 267 feet of core. The mineralized intervals were split and assayed at Chemex Labs Ltd. In 1994, the area around the portals was prospected and the 1991-92 underground core was logged.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 08:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

Across the Coquihalla hwy is Serpentine lake which back in 1924 was the place to be for Placer mining on the Serpentine creek. Same rock type is found at the lake as inside the Carolin mine and the whole area , both sides of the Coquihalla has been staked. Today it costs about 1280.00 to take gold out of the ground and process it.
Thanks for the history of Emancipation mine. Carolin mine history is good too except for the part about gross mismanagement of the mine , &lt; 55% recovery and a cyanide spill into Ladner creek.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

LADNER CREEK BRIDGE

Once we were done with the old mine visit, (not Caroline Mines)we drove back down to highway , headed up and did the Portia U-turn and came back to turn off just at the start of the large new bridge. Then headed up a short brief and steep trail to reach the old railroad grade. Very nice... across a slide, then on a nice wide even road bed towards the old bridge, first had to get up to the left and above and over the tunnel entrance. It was blocked by collapsed rock within.

down the narrow side trail to other side, right by the Ladner Creek bridge, look towards the tunnel entrance from the other side. Amazing high steel trestle; thoughts of crossing and walking on the bridge when I observed the rotten timbers, the large gaps where the timbers had fallen away. Being wet and rainy I cared not to walk it.

We headed back, taking that steep path down alongside the tunnel month, and then enjoyed the green life of plants along the way on our return.

Got back on the road and headed home. about 2.8 km round trip for the bridge part of our day.
I will put on the GPS track images next week.

K
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Did you notice the tunnel dates ? When the KVR had a bit of money they put a concrete face on the tunnel entrance. Most of the tunnels have two dates. Nice pix as they bring back memories of wandering around up there tracing the KVR.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brucew

Did you notice the tunnel dates ? When the KVR had a bit of money they put a concrete face on the tunnel entrance. Most of the tunnels have two dates. Nice pix as they bring back memories of wandering around up there tracing the KVR.
Yes, east end shows 1949 and the west end shows 1944.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page