Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Abbotsford, B.C., Canada.
Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.
Thanks for your compliments everyone. Bruce is correct, checked further this is not the Carolin Mine, but the much older Emancipation Mine with some rich history.
In 1910, during the construction of the Kettle Valley railway (now abandoned) along the Coquihalla River valley, prospectors exploring the valley and its tributaries for gold found several gold prospects. Between 1913 and 1915, the Emancipation claims plus other adjoining claims were staked by Messrs. M. Merrick, Wm. Thompson and H. Beech to cover gold-bearing quartz veins. Since the discovery, the claims have experienced sporadic exploration and mining activity. During the early life of the Emancipation mine, from 1916 to 1919, some 95 tons of ore was extracted, and returned over $35,000 (averaging 15 oz/ton). By 1921, considerable amounts of underground development work had been carried out and a five-stamp mill installed with a production capacity of 12 tons per day. The operator was the Liberator Mining Company of Vancouver, B.C. During this period, approximately 118 tons of ore was shipped to Tacoma, Washington, USA, again with a return of approximately $35,000 and an additional 700 tones of sub-ore valued at $15.00 per ton was stockpiled at the mill. Work at the mine was intermittent from 1922 through to 1933, during which time the property changed owners several times with Dawson Gold Mines Ltd. being the major operator. Limited work was done in 1937 by Kettle Valley Gold Mine Ltd. As documented by the B.C. Department of Mines, production figures between 1916 and 1941 from the Emancipation were 2,897 oz. gold and 605 oz. silver; total tons of ore mined is unknown. From consideration of the volumes of drift and stoped ground in the underground workings, material produced has been possibly about 10,000 tons. The substantial waste dump at the No. 2 Portal indicates that only a part of production was considered mill fee.
The 1933 Minister of Mines report provides some interesting but limited information regarding the lower tunnel (4 Level) which until 1991 was inaccessible due to sloughing of overburden at the portal. It is described as 210 feet below No. 2 Level. During 1933, the drift was driven 570 feet with cross-cuts at intervals to east and west with the face at that time nearly directly under the ore body in No. 2 winze. The face at that time (1933) of the drift showed a vein zone of about 11 feet wide with intercalated country rock and some calcite. The central part was well mineralized with sulfides. Chip sample over 8 feet assayed 0.40 oz./ton in gold and 0.10 oz./ton in silver. A picked sampled from the face at that time assayed 2.12 oz./ton in gold. Observations in 1992 suggest that this mineralized area appears to pinch out a short distance to the north along the drift. At that time, ore was being produced from stoping on No. 2 Level and this material was being transported to the mill lower down by the aerial tram. The mill operated at 25 tons per day. Operations by Dawson Consolidated Ltd. continued at least to 1938 but no quantities or grades of production during the latter part of the operation are preserved.
In recent years (1971 and later) due to the increase in price of gold, the Emancipation Mine and adjoining claims experienced renewed exploration. In 1971, Aquarius Resources Ltd. acquired the existing claims and mineral leases (Sunshine and Raymond) and with additional staking, the claims were collectively called the Hope Group. In 1972, A. R. Bullis surveyed, mapped and sampled the underground workings in the Emancipation mine and Dr. G. C. Stephens of Alrae Engineering in 1973 conducted general surface geological mapping on the entire Hope Group. From 1976-79, under the direction of Cochrane Consultants Ltd., an extensive surface exploration program on the claims was carried out which included detailed geochemical soil surveys and ground geophysical work. In 1980, an all-weather road was constructed to the Emancipation Mine and further underground mapping and sampling was performed by in-house Aquarius staff under the direction of D. Cardinal, The following season (1981), an aggressive surface and underground diamond-drilling program was conducted. Results from the drilling program were encouraging and demonstrated the need for continued underground exploratory drilling. However, no further work was conducted until the underground diamond drilling by Homegold Resources Ltd. in 1991-1992 under option from Anglo Swiss Mining Corp.
The work conducted on the Emancipation Mine commenced by Homegold Resources Ltd. during the fall of 1991 with the reopening of the 1.6 km access roads constructed by Aquarius Resources Ltd. in 1980. The roads were overgrown with dense alder trees and brush. An excavator and D8 bulldozer were used to repair and ditch the roads and excavate sloughed material that had covered the 4 Level portal of the Emancipation Mine. A new access road was constructed ramping down from the 3 Level portal to the newly reopened 4 Level portal. The portal was re-timbered, washed out and the 4 Level drift was scaled. Upon completion of the scaling, the drift floor was mucked out, the major obstacle being material from the raise up to 3 Level that had flowed into 4 Level. The narrow gauge (18 inch) track was repaired. A small ore car was set on the tracks and was used to carry the cave material out of the drift. Once the drift was cleaned up, drill stations were established by slashing out openings along the cross-cut and drift walls.
The drill program was designed to explore a possible replacement zone that had been intersected by Aquarius Resources Ltd. in the down-dip extension of the "Boulder" vein. Underground diamond drilling in 1980 and 1981 indicated that sulfide and silica replacement increased with depth and along strike below the 3 Level on the Boulder and subsidiary veins.
The underground workings were surveyed by transit and EDM (S. Nickel and Associates Surveying Ltd.) and accurate plans and sections prepared. A total of 3 holes were drilled in 1991-1992 for 267 feet of core. The mineralized intervals were split and assayed at Chemex Labs Ltd. In 1994, the area around the portals was prospected and the 1991-92 underground core was logged.