AfterWorkHike - Elk Mountain - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default AfterWorkHike - Elk Mountain

[u]AfterWorkHike - Elk Mountain</u>

This week we picked a local standard hike for our destination and tried to ignore the gloom&doom in the sky.
I thought we could at least enjoy a nice forest hike even with the rain.

There were 9 of us all together for this outing..2 from Club Tread, the rest were a collection of coworkers.

By the time we made it to the trailhead it was just before 6pm and it was at this moment I started imagining all of us coming down the mtn with headlamps.

Janice and I quickly noticed the speed at which the younger crew were bolting up the mtn...I guess I need to get more regular cardio training.

We all kept a consistent pace without any major breaks all the way to the first lookout. Once there most went up the stairs to gain that rocky outlook but when I got there, climbing the moss, rocks and bushwacking seemed a bit more exciting..I am sure some thought I was an animal crashing through those trees.

We all had a good laugh and spent some time feeding the birds out of our hands, soaked in the scenery of the valley below...so many cloud layers with light rays spotlighting the mountain sides below. It was a very peaceful hike up to this point with the quiet of the night and various random bird noises creating a soundtrack of sorts..waterfalls, birds.

Most of us trudged on up to the summit and beyond to enjoy the rewards of our efforts for hiking up. The alpine is gently rolling with fantastic views below in the evening..everything is so still, so surreal like looking down on a miniature model set with tiny houses, tiny cars and the weather slowly changing to hide and unveil different scenes and all the while the sun is setting to backlight the clouds and terrain.

All in all this couldn't have turned out better.. Good group, good weather, great hike.

Some photos of our evening:
Looking out towards Cultus Lake, Chilliwack

Some of the crew coming up the summit ridge.

Looking towards Thurston..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Headed for the Mountains

sorry i missed this one, had to tend to my clumsy son who run into a basketball hoop pole.....got to love those teenage boys....two left feet.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 07:52 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Wish I could have made it too. Ah well, at some point Alexa will be one of the youngsters ascending with notable speed up the mountain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 09:17 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

It was a great (painful) hike haha and I like how the group is bonding! The way the clouds cleared and rain held off was nothing short of a gift from above. I'll try and post my pictures later but still need help with resizing.

Speaking of resizing. Kelly: can you pls ask Mark if he would be willing to meet me at Tim Hortons? I'll bring my laptop and he can help resize my photos? Tell him free food. Thanks a lot. Oh ya. you are invited as well.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kellylegros

[u]AfterWorkHike - Elk Mountain</u>

Some photos of our evening:
Looking out towards Cultus Lake, Chilliwack

Some of the crew coming up the summit ridge.

I'm not much of a photographer myself but for some reason, I really like these two photos. Good TR too!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Great looking trip Guys and Gals! Can't believe how you lucked out with the weather! I got soaked up my trail around the same time.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Yvonne, sounds like I have lots to look forward to with teens.

Escape, thought we were going to have you or BillyG for our hike :-)

Kanike, I am all over the free food, we'll have find a time to train you on the art of photo editing.

BurnabyRich, thanks...lighting was nice..photos taken with cell phone...guess I got lucky and captured a small part of beauty.

Giverhard, we really did get lucky with weather...I said that a few times last night.

Cheers
Kelly
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Kelly

You got good weather, imagined it would have rained up there. Nice shots; one with the clouds has a bit of mystical look to it.

Well done everyone.

K
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KARVITK

Well done everyone.
K
Thanks Karl.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Summit Master

out of the 827,000 shots from Elk over the years, the first one is cool and unusual. Some care and set up with a good cam would have made a nice frame. For just a phone photo its quite good.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks AT :-)
Wasn't expecting any visibility or photo ops on a rainy day but I had some 1st timer elkers with me..beginners luck I suppose. Cheers
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Was a awesome hike. Thanks everyone!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kanike
Speaking of resizing. Kelly: can you pls ask Mark if he would be willing to meet me at Tim Hortons? I'll bring my laptop and he can help resize my photos? Tell him free food. Thanks a lot. Oh ya. you are invited as well.
I can do a Tim Hortons session. Check www.pcfreetime.com for the software I use.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 08:52 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Hello!

New to club tread here. I just have a quick question. Is this hike accessible by car? I'm probably doing it with a couple of friends on Sunday and just wanted to know if we could take a car or need to bring out a 4x4! Thanks! Great pictures by the way!
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 08:57 AM
Summit Master

easily car accessible. There has been vandalism in the past, keep your car secure and clear of valuables.
Welcome to CT
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Hittin' the Trails

okay thank you! good to know.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page