Flora Lake Trail - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Flora Lake Trail

May 20, 2013

Today's trip was with a party of three to the Flora Lake Trail. We saw more wildlife on Chilliwack Lake Road on the drive in than on the hike itself; first a bear crossed the road in front of us (near Allison Pool, I think), then several deer some time later.

Hiking started around 6am and we reached the ridge overlooking Flora Lake (just south of the pass) by 10:15. On the way we made an attempt at the ridge west of Flora Peak, but called it off due to the slippery frozen snow on the slope. Overall, the trail conditions were very good, with minimal snow before the bowl. We met only three other people; Lindeman Lake drew the masses today, judging by the number cars lining the road when we got back!

Not sure of the stats on this one, probably around 10-12 km and 7-8 hrs return. Max elevation ~1800m and non-cumulative gain ~1180m.

Photos:

Mountain shots on the way up

Chilliwack Lake

Approaching the ridge

Flora Peak

Looking back toward Williams Peak

View from the ridge toward the lake

Flora Lake, frozen over

View down the ridge toward Flora Peak

Ridge panorama (83+ MP): http://www.360cities.net/image/flora...ge-view-canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 11:17 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Well done. I really like that destination. Thanks for the conditions update!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 AM
Scaling New Heights

Nice hike and pics! did you attempt hiking down to Flora? I think its pretty steep down there and may not be the easiest in the snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

@exscape: Thanks - it is a great spot!

@Chaz: No, we didn't try continuing to the lake; it didn't seem worth it to lose all that elevation just to see the lake up close (and we probably wouldn't have had enough time since we had to be back at the car fairly early). I imagine it could be difficult in the current conditions, particularly trying to follow the trail.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

John

A beautiful area, considering getting up to the ridge/col and then doing a ridge hike to the right (south) and to the east of Flora Lake all the way. Simon did this a few years ago.

K
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

These pictures have me wanting to revisit the pass asap now. Thanks for sharing!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KARVITK

John

A beautiful area, considering getting up to the ridge/col and then doing a ridge hike to the right (south) and to the east of Flora Lake all the way. Simon did this a few years ago.

K
Are you talking to Wittenburg, Karvitk, or continuing along to Paleface? I've been pondering both for several years now and have a nice route in mind for the former, with a few return route options, just need to do it one day.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by giverhard

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KARVITK

John

K
Are you talking to Wittenburg, Karvitk, or continuing along to Paleface? I've been pondering both for several years now and have a nice route in mind for the former, with a few return route options, just need to do it one day.
I was thinking Wittenburg, to the east side of Flora along the ridge to a tower.

K
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 09:24 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

Thanks for the report on one of my favorite hikes in the CRV.

Karl and Kelsey: I've been wanting to head out to the Wittenburg Tower as well. Let me know when you're making that trip and maybe I can join you.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kanike

Thanks for the report on one of my favorite hikes in the CRV.

Karl and Kelsey: I've been wanting to head out to the Wittenburg Tower as well. Let me know when you're making that trip and maybe I can join you.
Janice

Sounds great, perhaps we should plan and set a date for this >
What are your thoughts Kelsey ?
K
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Could you elaborate further on the snow line? At what elevation does it begin? You wrote there is minimal snow below the bowl - does it mean you can get to the ridge without crampons, or am I way off? Thanks!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mauricio

Could you elaborate further on the snow line? At what elevation does it begin? You wrote there is minimal snow below the bowl - does it mean you can get to the ridge without crampons, or am I way off? Thanks!
Can't remember exactly, but I think the snow line would have been somewhere around 1500-1600m, maybe higher. Crampons would probably come in handy if you want to head up to the ridge west of the peak; I went up a little ways in boots and the snow is pretty hard and frozen (at least early in the morning). Here are a few photos of what it looked like above the trail heading up toward the ridge:

Of course, it could have changed a lot in the meantime.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 08:20 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Love the Flora Lake/Peak trail! Great photos. I have only done it during the summer months. Really neat to see all that snow. Thanks for sharing!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page