LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Little Diamond Head - For a Change

Back in this topic: https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=56521

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neophobia

Bob Wilson also said "It only takes 30 years for a liberal to become a conservative without changing any of their ideas."
In his witty indirect manner, Dru was trying to say that I'm afraid of change. I thought, well, maybe he has a point. Maybe I am stuck in the past, and need some new approaches to backcountry trips, for instance. So I decided to try to apply some fresh thinking during yesterday's daytrip to Little Diamond Head.

We've suffered a barrage of advice that one should not do such trips alone, and I've been an avid carpooler since about 1970. That suff is so yesterday. So 1970's even. Therefore I chose to go alone. New age individualism. Joining the me generation. I also thought of the fact that the less oil I use, the fewer jobs there are for Albertans. By carpooling, I contribute to unemployment. Good, salt of the earth people losing their houses, unable to afford to fly their kids to Europe for sports tournaments. Shame on me for being so selfish and inconsiderate. So I drove to Diamond Head by myself. Unfortunately I'd bought a hybrid and it gets ridiculously good mileage. Stupid stupid stupid. I've got to get a Hummer.

Food for the trip was another consideration. Gorp is so old school. Why not join the modern world and make a better choice? Hey, the nutrition label on this bag of potato chips says it contains 420 calories. In just 75 grams of contents! Wow, so much bang for the buck. It's totally stupid to carry anything else.

I really enjoyed the endless uphill plodding on this trip. The Joy of Ascending. I used to dislike going uphill, but this is 'way better because going uphill takes most of the day. So much more of the day is pure fun. Coming down? Turn left, turn right, turn left, turn right ad nauseum. Boorring. At least it was over fairly quickly.

And then there's using skis. I used to think this was the best gear for a trip like this. Not any more. Snowshoes would be much better idea. And even better than that, it's totally dumb that snowmobiles are prohibited at Diamond Head. Look, here's this vast slope on the south side of Little Diamond Head without a single snowmobile track on it. Obviously there's room for everyone to share. Not only that, but if snowmobiling was allowed at Diamond Head (and quads and dirbikes in summer), Squamish's economy would benefit and the unemployment rate would be lower. Probably the exclusion of motorized vehicles in Garibaldi Park costs the local economy dozens of jobs and millions of dollars. Time for the self-righteous self-propelled crowd to get out of the way of progress and real he-man machines. And no one can deny that spending all day getting to Little Diamond Head is retarded compared to how fast you could do it on a sled. Be back in time for a few beers and a hockey game at the pub.

So eventually I arrive at Little Diamond Head and eat the potato chips. What to do with the bag? When I was a child I learned not to litter. High time to change that! Now it might seem bad to just leave the bag there, but consider this: It IS mostly made out of fossil fuel, and the forward thinkers supporting the tarsands... Oops, did I say "tarsands"? I'm so sorry. Oh, I know the oil industry used to call it the tarsands, but that was then and now is now. I was going to say that the well-informed supporters of the oilsands, pipelines etc. maintain there's no real pollution risk from petroleum products. So leaving the bag must be ok, right? How can it be pollution when it's made out of petroleum? Not my problem.

And then there's the universe and discarding the potato chip bag. What's the universe got to do with a potato chip bag? Well, Alison Redford, premier of Alberta, says the carbon footprint of the oilsands is unimportant because there are other, larger polluters. I never thought of that. How could I have been so dumb for so long? The idea is that when there is more than one entity, the lesser entity/entities is/are of no consequence. Taken to the limit of logic, that means only the universe matters. The universe on one hand and a potato chip bag on the other. Hmm. Obviously a potato chip bag counts for diddly squat compared to a universe. Who am I to question the logic of Alberta's premier? And maybe someone finding it will have an important use for it. Maybe they could keep their mp3 player dry in it. Like, who thinks about how to keep their mp3 player dry when packing for a trip?

I've always gone to Little Diamond Head's tippy tippy top, but in line with today's new thinking, I chose instead to chicken out. Better to live on and continue irritating certain people on ClubTread. And while I climbed partway up the Gargoyles to get around the east end of the cornice on the Saddle's north side, I changed my mind on the way back and instead skied up the ramp-like feature up the west half of the cornice.

Yes, those are crappy photos. And there are ski pole straps in them. Captions? Nope. I used to care, but not so much now.

I could comment on the road condition and snow situation. But those topics have been flogged to death. The road is/ the snow is/ blah blah blah. Time to give it a break, lol. And then there's my elapsed time for the trip. Just some bogus egotistical crap that people stopped wanting to hear years ago.

So those were today's breakthroughs in fresh thinking during my visit to Little Diamond Head. I just feel so, um, WORTHY now.

Meet you at DYE-II?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Wow.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Summit Master

Self flagellation. So hot right now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Rat
Headed for the Mountains

cool story bro
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 05:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Shoulda tried walking on the skin track in snowshoes for a change.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 06:37 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

ROTFL!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I rather enjoyed that. Keep up the good fight my man!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Headed for the Mountains

somebody needs a hug
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Summit Master

I see an upcoming video in the making and a new non-profit organization. Britsh Columbians for Intentional Audacity. For futher info and donations reply to [email protected]

Steve did you get the ok from Mark Messier to use Lay's Potato chips? (5 minute penalty for copyright infringement)

Nice shots
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pmicheals

I see an upcoming video in the making and a new non-profit organization. Britsh Columbians for Intentional Audacity. For futher info and donations reply to [email protected]

Steve did you get the ok from Mark Messier to use Lay's Potato chips? (5 minute penalty for copyright infringement)

Nice shots
Do I also have to become a hockey fan now? I don't know if I can stomach that much change.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Climbing, Skiing, Mountaineering, Guitar and Aquaria

Different trip; same bitter attitude. Nothing new after all.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Very nice
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Spectrum

Shoulda tried walking on the skin track in snowshoes for a change.
Too bad I didn't think of that. It would have improved the story.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 AM
Summit Master

This story reminds me how much I miss Grachman on CT.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hmm, seems like some real dedication to write that.... Evne to go as far as set up a picture with the Lays chips....

Maybe being a lurker and just reading lots of posts I don't really get it.

Maybe its for the best that I don't.

Life's to short to take anything said on the internet as 'real life.'

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page