Big Cedar to Kennedy Falls - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Big Cedar to Kennedy Falls

Big Cedar Trail came under my radar after last year TR by guntis. Further bit of research (TRs by Ryan and rocker_man1) revealed possible extension to Kennedy Falls , with added bonus of optional ford of Lynn Creek with loop return. Two scenic highlights:

This is North Shore 'connoisseur' territory. Not advertised on trailheads or in hiking guidebooks -- you need to know where to go. Even finding start of Cedar Trail can be challenge in a maze of biking trails east of Lynn River. I took notes from guntis report and it worked like a charm (thanks very much!) -- Baden Powell to Lower Griffin/Upper Griffin, then exit on Mt. Highway near 1km mark just before first big switchback.

1-Griffin sign 2-Start of Cedar Trail

Soon comes the last initial junction I recognized from guntis report: Crinkum-Crankum goes left, while lower path is Big Cedar Trail proper:

From now on trail is flagged with yellow squares and fairly frequent red tapes. Couple of potentially confusing junctions (left or right??), but you can go either way -- both branches join further up. It is about 3 km on slowly deteriorating terrain to Big Cedar -- couple of gully crossings with running water, some blowdown (biggest one just before the end) but generally level with not much elevation gain and some impressive stumps along the way. Some photos from this section:

Reaching Big Cedar in about 1hr from Mtn. Highway I took a break and admired sights of this huge beast:

Sign on tree informs you "Rough Trail to Kennedy Falls". Heading up initially, it soon levels and keeps going north. Despite some deadfall (under, over or around) it actually felt easier than last section before Big Cedar. Thin film of snow started and made things slippery. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour before you reach large gully draining Kennedy Lake high above. Trail turns corner and descends to the falls. This section was brutal -- it took me 30 minutes for 100-150 m -- horrendous deadfall, slippery snow and very unsure footing. Nobody passed here in a while so I had to be extra careful. Finally few flags lead to down to creek and just bellow very impressive falls. If you are photographer, take a tripod -- light here is simply not enough for hand-held shots. Quite a bit of water too -- snows must be melting high up on Fromme:

Coming back to Big Cedar I thought I'd check out feasibility of crossing Lynn Creek -- I knew this was not best time of year, but creek was close and I still had time to go back if water was too deep. Steep, but flagged drop from Big Cedar in about 10 minutes brings you to water level. It looked doable so I gave it a shot. Knee deep at highest point, but I possibly didn't choose the easiest path. In preparation for the trip I also watched Ryan.in.realworld video of Mick Range barefoot crossing of Lynn Creek -- not keen to repeat such experience I brought sandals and they were essential. Drying off I took couple of shots:

Both sides of crossing are flagged, but if you are coming from Headwaters side it will be easy to miss. It will be couple of minutes north of Cedar Mills site; unmarked side trail branching left, soon becoming better defined and flagged, exits to river bank on photo above in minute or two.

Return down on east side was quick. Map and stats:

5 hrs, 14km and about 500 vertical.

This is nice exploratory hike in Lynn Headwaters where solitude is guaranteed. Should not be done after rain, as there is plenty of riding on fallen trees and shrubs that will be wet. Lynn Creek is not overly challenging ford, but bit of experience as well as old sandals/hiking poles are very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 01:11 AM
Summit Master

Definitely a cool place to explore

-Ryan
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Kennedy Creek falls are neat. So are the big trees beyond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 06:52 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Uh... hiking? :P I love love love the outdoors. And I like shiny things. Been hiking, mostly solo, for over 20 years. You might assume that makes me antisocial. And you would be right *g* Climbed rock and ice and mountains for many years too...

One of my favourite places to go when I want complete solitude. Nice work.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

[^]
Now we just have to find that ancient Hemlock I've heard about.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

I've been spending some time rediscovering forested trails on the Northshore lately. Mainly around Mosquito Creek. This looks like a good place to check out too - thanks.

Mosquito Creek waterfall just west of decommissioned pipeline trail above BP.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 04:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Solitude probably isn't guaranteed now that you posted this here. [] I think I followed that faint trail leading off of the Cedar Mills Trail...wondered what it was for.

Informative report, as always. Thanks. : )
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by John and Katie

Solitude probably isn't guaranteed now that you posted this here. []
LOL. Right on
In reality though, it will be like Seymour: Everyone heads to Brockton Point or Dog Mountain, far less to De Pencier Bluffs or Suicide Bluffs. Hordes generally require park maintained trails.

Thx for the comments everyone
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 04:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Nice trip report Jack. Some of those photos almost look HDR like. Specifically:

Did you turn up the fill light in the post process?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

You're hooked now! Time to start bushwhacking all the side drainages in that area like I've been doing. So much cool stuff in there!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mick range

You're hooked now! Time to start bushwhacking all the side drainages in that area like I've been doing. So much cool stuff in there!
LOL! I've been thinking the same -- self-professed ridge walker (open views only please), to thrash in the woods whole day and have fun doing it [8D]

North Shore variety is what I'm really hooked on. You still got lakes, ridges and meadows; but it is this rain-forest that makes experience unique
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 09:50 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Cycling, kayaking, photography, running, guitar,

Nudge this one to the top of the list - thanks zeljkok!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

The hike up to Kennedy Lake is a beauty as long as you don't mind a little bushwhacking where Kennedy Creek meets Barrier Creek. Route is in ideal condition in August, generally
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mick range

The hike up to Kennedy Lake is a beauty as long as you don't mind a little bushwhacking where Kennedy Creek meets Barrier Creek. Route is in ideal condition in August, generally
Very interesting -- you definitely sparked my curiosity! This is of course academic, as I believe access to Kennedy watershed is not allowed, but wouldn't it also be very easy to drop from Goat Ridge:

Right-to-left gentle ramp on pano above (partially hidden by snow in foreground)?
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Summit Master

I have even heard there is actually a beaten path down into the lake bowl from the main trail, but that's just hearsay of course

Left side of bowl in this shot makes more sense, other approaches have proven more difficult and or downright unsafe by many accounts. There is a pumphouse at the lake according to maps so a trail there would be to access it, theoretically. Still, off limits of course

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page