Marion and Phyllis Lakes - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Marion and Phyllis Lakes

Walk along powerline cutblock sandwiched between Mt. Capilano on the East, and Deeks/Windsor to the West. Branch of Furry Creek FSR leading to twin lakes, then locked Capilano watershed gate:

Hardest part is to identify correct access, considering total lack of signs. I took Golf Course exit of Sea-to-Sky, then drove past Country Club and turned into Furry Creek FSR. Bit rough but totally 2WD driveable for few kilometers till first major intersection, where I parked and started walking down right-side fork. Good bridges over Furry and Phyllis Creeks in short succession lead to switchbacks -- 2WD might have problems here. On next fork took lower (left) road and kept walking along the cutblock. Twin powerlines and rushing Phyllis creek are nearby for the rest of the walk. Semi-open road, canopy of rotting leafs and low fog hanging on, but no rain. Reached Marion Lake in about 1.5 hr from parking:

From where you first spot Marion Lake there is no easy access down (specially as everything was soaking wet). I kept walking for few minutes; pay attention to clearing and open slope descending to powerline to the right. Good trail can be found just bellow; set of flags lead left towards Phyllis Lake, but this is wrong and quickly ends in horrible bush. However turning right well-defined path (no flags) leads in few minutes to south shore of Marion Lake. Couple of stashed canoes and tossed bear cans testify this is visited with some frequency:

Returning back to the road, I passed by rock with some paint signs, next to a gully and several flags leading as far up as I could see -- anyone knows what this is?

Phyllis Lake is nearby. There is nice looking dock about halfway along the lake; I descended (bit rough -- caution if slippery) and had snack break:

The road continues past this for 10-15 more minutes through some cool-looking Frodo trees to locked Capilano Watershed Gate and end of the hike:

I returned the same way. GPS indicated 8 km and 450 vertical from parking to watershed gate. My return time was 3.5 hours, including about 15 min worth of breaks.

Some observations: This is road walk, and not really trail hike. It would be hard to justify it as objective on a sunny summer day; but as winter showshoe trip (or cloudy wet fall trip, such as today) it is agreeable destination. Entire length is mountain bike-able (and of course 4WD accessible). I understand also there is alternate access from Porteau Cove, but I don't have much details about this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 09:49 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Nice trip. Fall colours are pretty.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Cycling, kayaking, photography, running, guitar,

We saw that road on a winter day with Keefer doing a Mountain Lake recon. Interesting to see this back door leading to a few interesting places, zeljkok, and of interest are the fishing possibilities. Did you see the "trailhead" to Capilano Mountain? Thanks. Nicely illustrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Good eye to spot the trail by the powerline There is a good trail to both lakes from that powerline. Tough to bike up a lot of the sections but going down is worth the push.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gearhed

Did you see the "trailhead" to Capilano Mountain?
Yes I did! It is marked "F31" at that GPS map photo. Furry creek area has stayed off the radar as I don't have 4WD (this really sucks because of Mountain Lake Area / Sheer / Ben Lomond etc). Partial purpose of this walk was time estimate for Beth Lake/Mt. Capilano. Seeing I could drive with 2WD almost to 3km mark with no problems puts Beth Lake within 2 - 2 1/2 hr even without bike, so I'll be heading that way next year!

One correction -- as John and Katie reported -- in M. Gunn description for Capilano "4-way junction about 500 m past 3 km sign", there is no 4-way junction (at least not anymore), just main road turning right, while lower branch continues straight. I marked that "F41" on map.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Interesting and new destination.

Nice fall colours too.

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 06:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Cycling, kayaking, photography, running, guitar,

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zeljkok

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gearhed

Did you see the "trailhead" to Capilano Mountain?
Yes I did! It is marked "F31" at that GPS map photo. Furry creek area has stayed off the radar as I don't have 4WD (this really sucks because of Mountain Lake Area / Sheer / Ben Lomond etc). Partial purpose of this walk was time estimate for Beth Lake/Mt. Capilano. Seeing I could drive with 2WD almost to 3km mark with no problems puts Beth Lake within 2 - 2 1/2 hr even without bike, so I'll be heading that way next year!

One correction -- as John and Katie reported -- in M. Gunn description for Capilano "4-way junction about 500 m past 3 km sign", there is no 4-way junction (at least not anymore), just main road turning right, while lower branch continues straight. I marked that "F41" on map.
Good information there.
The only time I needed 4x4 was going through the new logging (deeply rutted and muddy) near Cyrtina Creek. On the upside, the road preceeding that may have been freshly graded for 2WD.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 12:56 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Markings on which side of the road?

Hi, which side of the road was this marking on, and the flags (would be interesting if they signified a potential trail which would potentially link up to HSCT ... or one up to Capilano)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Returning back to the road, I passed by rock with some paint signs, next to a gully and several flags leading as far up as I could see -- anyone knows what this is?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robertson View Post
Hi, which side of the road was this marking on, and the flags (would be interesting if they signified a potential trail which would potentially link up to HSCT ... or one up to Capilano)
Ian -- it's been a long time so I might be in error, but I believe it was on east (Capilano) side. I don't think it links up with HSCT which is more SW; some side spur up Capilano perhaps, but some forestry marking instead would be my guess
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 05:11 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robertson View Post
I was there this weekend. It looks as if it is just logging markings on the Capilano side. Quickly ends in the tress. Would be super nice if a route was built to access Capilano from that side instead of via Beth.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Hittin' the Trails

cool, thanks ... I'll have to check out that area more soon.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:00 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Area now checked out. The connection to Deeks will soon (after adding some rope) be a thing :-)
https://www.strava.com/activities/1904867997
and
https://www.strava.com/activities/1917536227

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page