mt Bishop- speed ascent - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default mt Bishop- speed ascent

This trip was planned to be done fast for 2 reasons. 1. I wanted to spend some time with my family in the afternoon. 2. I wanted to confirm my self how bad my shape is (now I know my shape is bad, but I still can do pretty good time especially on the way down). I thought maybe I can try to do it under 6h and see what it feels like (it felt bad
Bike part was pretty easy and after 30min I was looking for the trailhead at the end of the gravel road. I was becoming nervous and after looong 3 minutes I found it 50m down the hill beside the sign SLOW. I knew the change from bike to walk will be a little bit difficult especially with the steepness of the trail so I started slow to get used to it. This trail was again one of its kind and in some places I felt like being in a wood cave. So dense and dark the forest was.
After 1h and maybe 10 minutes to my surprise I reached Vicar lakes plateau and after a short break I kept going to the summit. Halfway up I heard some noise in front of me. As I started to pull out my bear spray a guy showed up :-) I didn't use my spray although its going to expire soon.
150 meters below the summit I met 2 guys who showed me the summit (there are so many around and in the very slow pace I reached summit in 2.45 min after I started my bike ride. I was getting very optimistic about the 6h mark and even 5.20 to 5.30 was possible in my opinion. After a long break at the summit (20min) I started to walk down. But when I reached Vicar lakes after 35min I started to think, what if 5 hours mark was possible. From the lakes it was one big fall down and 45min later I was resting at the bike. 37min left to 5h and I thought this will be a piece of cake. And with this much time left, I chose to take the gravel road on the east side of Seymour river which I rode for the first time...
In the end it was a battle for seconds and I ended up laying down in the grass where I started 4h 59min 35sec before. Exhausted, I wasn't of much help to my family for the rest of the day :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Didn't you just have a new kid? Is this before or after the birth?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Why beat yourself up ? Good time.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

thecamel: 2nd child is 14days old and is so much fun to watch him.
karvitk: why... :-)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 10:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Holy crap! Your wife must really love you to let you get away for a day like that. I'm currently under lock and key....2nd child is one month old....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Why beat yourself up ?
I did my mountaineering course with a very experienced rock climber and mountaineer. His philosophy was to not push himself when travelling or climbing in the mountains if there was no compelling reason to. Experience had taught him that conserving energy for an unseen eventuality was a prudent thing to do. He spoke of having to spend hours detouring around a glacier crevasse on the return trip that he had crossed easily on a snow/ice bridge that morning or dealing with other similar exigencies at the end of a long day. This is something I have always thought about when tempted to push myself too hard.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Good hard work that trail is, and 5 hours is a damn good time!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Cycling, kayaking, photography, running, guitar,

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gatier

Exhausted, I wasn't of much help to my family for the rest of the day :-)
Pretty lame way of getting out doing dishes!
Good blaze-up. Bring loppers next time
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Fantastic trip! Enjoyable read.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thank guys
dlofting: you would be surprised how much energy is left in your body even if you think you can't anymore.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page