Trans Canada Trail (Chwk Lake to Hope) 82.1km - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking,remote lake swimming and mountain-top beers
Default Trans Canada Trail (Chwk Lake to Hope) 82.1km

On September 15th at 1000hrs we set off from the Chilliwack Lake Provincial Campground sign where the tarmac meets the beginning of the FSR parallel to the Lakeside.

It was a beautiful morning and the temperature was already close to 15 degrees!

From here we trekked along Lakefront to the entrance to Paleface Pass. A lovely morning ride it was... however, things changed quickly from here.... Paleface Pass is tough and pushing a bike, and 30 lbs of overnight gear! But the trail was nice and easy to follow. Not used very much.

We slowly climbed up and out of the Chilliwack Lake valley and beyond.
The trail comes to a marked switchback where you leave the deactivated logging road. It has been about 2.5hrs and we break for something to eat.

We enter the forest follow the marked "TCT" trail for another few KM's. This is steep and the switchbacks become only a few meters apart... We persevered and finally made it to the end of the uphill battle. at about 1400hrs.

11.2KM from leaving the Lakeside.
Gorgeous view from here, plus we got to see the deactivated FSR we will be using to wind our way down out of the Mts.

The old FSR has not been used by vehicles in many years. It is overgrown and very very bumpy! and lower and upper arms ached from gripping so hard. It was amazing fun and the views of the Mt's from the trail spectacular!

At 1645hrs we arrived at a nice riverside camp spot just up the road from Silver Lake on Silver Skagit. We didnt have to hunt around for some firewood as the last people to use the side left half a shed for us to break up and burn cook our dinner.

We were joined by what we believe was deer going through our camp site at about 0400hrs.... we hope... no one got eaten.
At 0745hrs we left the camp spot and went to J's Cafe at the Husky truck stop in Hope on FLood Hope Rd. and had 'the works' and waited for out ride to pick us up.

Excellent trip! ((((DO NOT ATTEMPT IN THE OTHER DIRECTION - WE HAD ONLY 11.2KM OF UPHILL, THE OTHER DIRECTION ONE WOULD HAVE OVER 50KM'S)))

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Wow, excellent report. Was wondering what it would be like coming down the Sliverhope road from the TCT section near Paleface. Good job on getting your bikes up Paleface.. That has ato be one tough hard slog with the weight of your gear.

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Oh I like this trip thanx for posting.

Quote:
quote: The old FSR has not been used by vehicles in many years. It is overgrown and very very bumpy! and lower and upper arms ached from gripping so hard. It was amazing fun and the views of the Mt's from the trail spectacular!
Sounds like you are gripping way to hard! I have really enjoyed fsr riding more after I loosened up my grip and my arms in general. Previous rides where I did the deathgrip and rode the brakes (very painful afterwords) I can now fly down loose and comfy and it's way more fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Hi bike guys! I recognise your GPS setup.

~ one of the Tercel backpacking gals.

50km of downhill sounds like a pretty nice payoff for the first 11!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Hey!!! Tercel girl! Hope your hike out was well... Thanks for the info on the switch backs.
It was a heck of a trek! But OMG was the ride down worth it!
Maybe we'll bump into you gals again one day randomly!

~Matt

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exscape

Hi bike guys! I recognise your GPS setup.

~ one of the Tercel backpacking gals.

50km of downhill sounds like a pretty nice payoff for the first 11!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Cycling, kayaking, photography, running, guitar,

I've been using a bike gps but this looks like a much better idea.
Hybrid or mountain bike?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gearhed

I've been using a bike gps but this looks like a much better idea.
Hybrid or mountain bike?
Its just a standard $99 bike, no shocks or suspension of any kind. Not even the greatest breaks... i wore out the pads on this trip! I used the screwhole in the back of the handheld GPS that usually hold the little blet clip. Its mounted with standard electrical all-round to the handel bars... this allowed me to move it up and down to different viewing angles.
Works perfecly for the trip!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page