We attacked Yak! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.
Default We attacked Yak!

This morning Nikki and I met at Sardis Starbucks at 7:30. I had hiked Yak Peak a few yrs ago and a month ago started to feel a call to return. We headed out and arrived at the Zopkios Rest Area around 8:20, geared up and started for the trail. We saw a huge rock cairn that no one could miss but I knew this wasn't the TH. Told Nikki when I hiked Yak last time the TH was much further down the rd. We walked along the hwy until we found it. Very obvious when you see it with a very tiny rock cairn beside it.

We headed into the forest and a 1/2 hr later came out at the rocks. Yak Peak looked awesome and Nikki was getting excited (her first trip). We goofed around practicing some bouldering moves and then continued on. The trail was so nice and very well marked. Steep with one rope. We came through at the meadows and couldn't help ourselves from chowing down on delicious blueberries! It was almost like a contest to see who could eat the most in the shortest amount of time. Nikki won.

From this area you can see both Yak Peak and the subpeak behind Yak. We headed to the tiny col between the two. One snowfield involved. Arrived at this area and went up Yak. Wandered about and I got a lecture from myself that I had gone to close to the edge once again.

We hung out looking over to Coquihalla Mtn, Jim Kelly, Needle Peak and Flatiron. A gorgeous day. 6 cars at the Needle Peak TH.

On the way down we met one couple, then a group of 4, then another 2 and then another 2! Busy day on Yak.

All in all, it was a great day!

Unfortunately the image uploader does not work for me (files too big) so here is the link to my fb page.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=a4283bd5d6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Was a great day out! Ill see if it will let me add some pics,
The destination, Yak Peak

Hiking up to the boulder field

Around the bottom of the rock slope/face

At the start of the meadows, we kinda got distracted by the delicious blueberries here

Remains of an old cornice?

Made it to the col and on route to the summit

A sleeping Marmot, he really was in no hurry to move

Made it to the top and doing some exploring

Headed back down. The small snowfield was pretty hard snow. I had a hard time trying to kick some steps in on the way up and the way down was pretty slick. So on our butts we would go.

On the way back through the meadows we wer distracted again by all the blueberries. We just couldn't get enough. Sorry bears, but you snooze you lose!

Thanks again Janice for another great day in the mountians!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

[8D]
Nice trip! You've reminded me how much I like that little spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Good one, Janice and Nikki! Most of these peaks look like they can only be reached by climbers. It's a nice surprise when one finds a hiking trail leading to the summit. Too bad you didn't see any climbers ... I always like to watch them too. Great pictures, thanks for posting!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

Very Nice!! Every August, I start to look for Canadian Blueberries in the grocery stores.
Sh-moooothies galore!! yum!! Great pictures! Nice destination, too. What a treat to have something to pick and eat along the way. Sometimes, I suck on some manzanita berries in spring. They're like sour patch kids candy...hehe Can't wait for fall to hit down here in a couple weeks in the high country at 10,000 ft. Looks like you had fun. Great for her first trip. Once bitten.....[^]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Janice & Nikki

Nicely done. Blueberries really add spice to the hike.

Looking to head back up there and ridge walk over to Nak the same day.

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

Yay, good job! Most people think the south peak is Yak but you hit her dead on.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page