Elliott Peak/Twin lakes/Haylemore/Melvin Divide - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Cycling, kayaking, photography, running, guitar,
Default Elliott Peak/Twin lakes/Haylemore/Melvin Divide

Call it what you will its the same place. Someone accurately called this the Barkley Valley hike since 80% of your time is spent in floral madness on a heady meadow valley treadmill. This was a Wanderung hike hosted by Cara B. A close second in hiking highlights would be the ride to the trailhead in Chris' 3 banger, right handed Jimny. It was like sitting in the drivers seat of an ATV with a cab on it - except I was the passenger. Impressive was the rally car driving by Cara in a meek Celica? pulling up in the 4x4 lot next to a bunch of rad and gnar looking wheels.

1, 2 Miles and meadows. 3. Camping above the upper Twin Lakes. 4. Cara and Lana 5. Chris N.

There's a series of slides in quick succession so no point in busting a drivetrain to gain a few km. Somewhere close to Pemberton you cross a line where west coast moderate becomes freaking hot. Today we were well across the line in 30º + temps. You know... sunscreen and sweat stinging your eyes, your overnight pack wearing like a polar bear costume creating a bad smell. And you wish you were carrying the fingerless gloves instead of the full ones. At the Cayoosh Rec. Club cabin, head in water, drowning in cool thoughts and a much needed break - chew, breath, suck water… repeat.

2. Head high cow parsnip (glad it wasn't hogweed) 2. Barkley Valley 3. Looking towards Cayoosh from the lower lake. 4. camping on the lower lake. 5. Morning on the upper lake - Crystal Peak?

I had heard about the switchbacks and ignored it. This is where you really notice the lack of tree cover and wish you were Alice in Wonderland small hiding under the broadleaf hellebore. They say there are 10 switchbacks but I think a decimal has been misplaced. Needless to say the lower lake came upon us like an epiphany out of the dark ages… all right and right now. It was a much needed shot in the arm to get us up to the second lake and our campsite. Chris had set a pace to beat other hikers to the limited camping spaces here. As it was, I set up on a slight angle curled around a piece of krummholz, my legs splayed around a few rocks - I think I can do this.

1. A good day for pics 2. Snow still meters thick on Elliott 3. Forest fire towards Cayoosh from the lightning storm 4. Barkley Valley looking across the outflow from the lower lake.

A few hours later an apparition appeared coming up the outflow of the second lake - looked like Burnabyhiker without a boat - it was. Overnight flashes lit up the tents, then thunder cracked overhead followed by the patter of rain then a brief deluge. The storm moved on leaving a trail of flapping tents followed by some rest but no sleep. The morning slowly sorted out into a group going down into the Melvin Creek valley while myself and Lana followed the steep crag east of us. This turned out to be a fun couple of hours - boulder hopping, scree and loose dirt followed by a quick au cheval, a short descent into a notch followed by a steepish scramble which levelled out into a ridge walk to the peak with a great 360 view.

1. Hiiking across a snowfield between the lakes 2. Joffre Group from Elliott Peak 3. Looking down on the lower Twin Lake. 4. Another view of the lower lake as we gain altitude.

We packed up and waited for the valley ramblers to return. Gravity won out against some leg lethargy and got us to our rides in good time and with some excellent views which had been unappreciated during the 1700m sweltering ascent. Some might comment on the atv and dirt bikes on the long single track - but that's behind me and I stopped coughing up dirt balls yesterday. As a post script, an answer to fine post hike dining in Pemberton - The Black Squirrel!!!

1, 2 Melvin Lake and the Melvin Creek valley 3. Lana on the peak of Elliott 4. Peaceful morning after a stormy and loud night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Glad I was able to get up there and join them.
Breakfast and group.

The meadows into Melvin had some great flower clusters. Here's a couple photos from them.

The storm was indeed loud and bright. Especially when just in a bivi. But the morning brought peaceful water to Upper Twin Lake.

I had pushed a bike up to the cabin. The ride down felt magnificent.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 PM
bcd
Hittin' the Trails

Looks like a gorgeous hike. On my list to check out now.

Quote:
quote:The storm was indeed loud and bright. Especially when just in a bivi. But the morning brought peaceful water to Upper Twin Lake.
This shot is amazing. Is it one image or stitched?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 09:19 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bcd

Quote:
quote:The storm was indeed loud and bright. Especially when just in a bivi. But the morning brought peaceful water to Upper Twin Lake.
It was a stitched image. 3 shots.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by burnabyhiker

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bcd

Quote:
It was a stitched image. 3 shots.
Beautiful Effect,..

Great hike.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Agreed - that shot is awesome Chris!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Great TR and pictures. Elliot Peak is still on my list and I'd like to revisit this area.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Cycling, kayaking, photography, running, guitar,

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonc

Great TR and pictures. Elliot Peak is still on my list and I'd like to revisit this area.
Long approach for an easy scramble with great views.
A few pics and the gps.

Between the upper and lower Twin Lakes

1. Looking across the lower lake towards Rohr and Cayoosh 2. Cayoosh Rec. Hut., 3. Ridge walk to the peak (Ministry of Silly Walks style)

Thanks for the brilliant shot Chris!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 11:48 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Nice photos....looks like a beautiful area.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

BEAUTIFUL Great pictures,great tr
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by burnabyhiker

Wow Chris. How did you do that?? You should send these 2 to Canadian Geographic Photo Contest

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page