Sunshine Coast/Powell Part 1: Smugglers - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........
Default Sunshine Coast/Powell Part 1: Smugglers

Really this little break was more of a nice way to break-up the travelling day between Horseshoe bay and our end of day destination: Lund.

Smugglers Cove was reported by Mike the Rockerman a few weeks ago and it looked like a pretty nice place to spend some time so that became the plan. I'm told I should check out Mt.Daniel next time around. And I'm pretty sure there will be a next time around.

Alexa managed to stay awake until just before the turn off to the park; located near Halfmoon Bay. It figures... I'm starting with a sleeping <s>Infant</s> Toddler.

The upside is that it gave me opportunity to take my time with some photos; though a little awkward with a 30lb toddler riding in front of you. Almost reminded me of our hikes last year only she's gotten longer and heavier.

Some really beautiful stuff to be found on the way in. This is a highly recommended little walk if you like taking photos.

By this time she was just starting to wake up and look around. A nice lady with a group of other women and kids offered to take our photo.

I can see how this would be a nice place to spend a warm afternoon swimming or kayaking. I think it's probably a little more picturesque at high tide... but it was lovely to look at even at low tide. We had lunch in the shade of Arbutus at the end of the point with a view of the more open water.

A few additional photos taken on the way out.

Alexa's new favourite pass time.

Coastal Charm.

It was just about perfect timing as we reached Earls with 10 min to spare before boarding the ferry to Saltry.

<i><font size=\"2\">Look to the mountains to learn of beauty and grace, for nowhere else will you find so pure an offering.</font id=\"size2\"></i>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

I love swamps and bogs! I used to live in Southeastern Virginia and spent hours sliming around the bogs in the Great Dismal Swamp. Some day, my bucket list is to visit Cypress Gardens swamp. Amazing how bear and animals live from little spits of connected land. What an eco system! 30 pounds? I would have to arrange for a therapudic massage before and after each hike. Uber mom!
Arrrgh! At the first sign O' trouble, I'll toss ye overboard to the denizens of the deep!
Way cool!![xx(] the dreaded pirate....Roberts and his love Buttercup...hehe
(The Princess Bride)
I like the deer sign. I've got to do that, now. I need to find a sticky red ruby and put it on there. Too funny!! Beautiful area! I like the filtered light in the forest.
Also, low or high tide would be great to see both. So pensive and tranquil. I miss the sea.
[V] Your pictures are great, as always.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Off the Beaten Path

One of my favourite little side trip hikes. Combining this with Mount Daniel or Skookumchuck makes for an excellent day out on the Sunshine Coast. Every time I do this hike it is a little different as the amount of beaver activity has a huge impact on the swamp level. Did you go to the far side of the peninsula? There are some very pretty spots there as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Scaling New Heights

A good outing.

Exscape, I am a bit confused by B.C. parks web site.

It says that the park is accessible as a 4km hike from highway 1, but goes on to say that a walk-in camp ground (at the cove)is 1 km from a parking lot.

Is this lot on wescan or brooks road?

I was thinking of this place as a good first time walk in camping spot for a young family.

Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

How adorable, paint bullets instead of real ones...I think I like it .

You two are adorable too, good going!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Jim, 1.5 km to the start of the cove sounds about right. I didn't visit the campsite but I don't think it could be far from the start of the peninsula walk.

And yes Susie; we did the loop.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

That is a nice little spot I really like your pictures!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Jimjams, the parking lot is on Brooks Road. It is about 20 minutes from there to the camp site. Someone is fantasizing when they say the full hike is 4 km!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Scaling New Heights

Belated thanks for info

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page