Sunshine Coast/Powell Part 2: Alexa meets the SCT - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........
Default Sunshine Coast/Powell Part 2: Alexa meets the SCT

Or at least one part of it.

I had been emailing back and forth with Susie and we'd decided the Manzanita Hut would be a nice Alexa-friendly hike for the day and bonus; our trailhead was very close to the resort Alexa and I were spending our first two nights in. Second bonus; on this little excursion we were lucky enough to meet Maya, Susie's new foster-pal.

The trailhead is found on Malaspina Road. Lots of signage and a big pull out. You can't miss it.

Susie and Maya at the first lookout.

Alexa's favourite part of the hike.

Second lookout (if I recall correctly.)

Susie showing us the way!

Sample photo of the trail.

The logging cut that had overtaked the trail. You can still find markers and a bit of work has been completed through the cut so it's not difficult to find your way. Not pretty but it tells part of the story. And hey, the fireweed is starting to bloom.

What happens when the concept of adequate buffer zones are ignored. (this was also near a stream bed.)

Beautiful (deer?)ferns growing creekside along the trail.

Hi-King!

Pickin!

Examples of one of the varieties of berry available for pickin!

Fauna

Flora (or more technically fungi)

Manzanita!

A very pretty Outhouse.

Where we came from.

Where tomorrow's day would bring us.

Lunch!

An impressive, picturesque little hut. [^]

Heading back. This was when Alexa started to let me know she was "all done". [B)]

Apres hike festivities at Chez Susie. Do I see a Desolation Sound or Coplands trip in your future Alexa?

Thank you Susie for being such an excellent guide and host and thank you to Maya for being so sweet and cute. We had a nice day.

<i><font size=\"2\">Look to the mountains to learn of beauty and grace, for nowhere else will you find so pure an offering.</font id=\"size2\"></i>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

So, nice! She is so lucky to have someone who appreciates the outdoors. My parents did and I remember how their faces looked and the joy in their eyes as they took it in. We may not listen very well as children, but we imitate quite well. Great fun. So, tomorrow, when I am hiking and get tired, I can say...all-done, click my heels together three times and be home? I wish.

What did she think of the snake? Did she see it? I'm getting bored on my days off so I might start walking some dogs at the shelter. they're always looking for volunteers to walk doggies. thanks for the fun TR....all done.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

She did see the snake but by the time she got close it moved quickly away and she looked at me as if to say "meh". She listens....selectively (she has a pretty strong opinion for a 20 monther) and she's quite the parrot! On has to watch what is said around her these days.

Forgot to say we did also see a nice sized black bear in the logging cut.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Off the Beaten Path

It was a really enjoyable day, and Alexa was a trooper. However when she decided she was "all done" she was very definitely all done, fortunately we were only about 10 minutes from the vehicles! She has an amazing vocabulary.

It's always fun to see familiar hikes through new eyes - the profusion of salal, arbutus and berries seems normal to me, but to Jenn it was a slightly different landscape than the Chilliwack Valley.

Look at Jenn's joyous face as she gets that weight off her back for a few moments!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Oops, uploaded the wrong photo ... here is the correct one.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: cycling

What a cutie!

Approx how long did it take 1 way from TH to hut? I mean, time including toddler breaks/toddler flower sniffing/snake spotting/some toddler walking portions etc, because I would be going at that same pace...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thanks for the photos Susie

Tim it was approx 2.5 to 3 hours each way I think. So count on at least Six hours not including your lunch stop. Lots of berry picking to be had along the way right now. I did carry Alexa the great majority of the way.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

So, if you sit on a stump she could then stand up? That picture would be way cool to see!!
Black bear? I've never seen a bear in the wild. I saw my first ever eagle when I came up there. You all live in a great place!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Good one!! Too bad I missed you when you came up Glad you hooked up with Susie as she knows all the best spots I love that shot of Alexa in Susies kayak,she's so cute!! Next time you come up we'll have to do something for sure

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page