Stawamus-Indian FSR ride and Norton Lake hike - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Stawamus-Indian FSR ride and Norton Lake hike

I do the bike ride once a year to Indian Arm but this year decided to spice it up a bit and head up to the Norton Lake area.

The Indian River FSR is in good condition and the usual barriers were easier to cross this year then last year as well water is low in all the creek crossings.

Happy to be across the Indian River crossing (usually a pita) I went to stand on the pulled bridge to declare victory and first step up on to it my foot went through [B)]

From here it's a bit up and then a long way down into the Indian River Valley.

Today I also saw, for my first time, Elk in the valley! After the pulled bridge there is Elk sign all through the valley including up the Hixon Creek FSR. They seem to doing quite well.

Arrive at Hixon Creek Spur and start up the road.

Anybody lose this?

This spur will take you to Coquitlam.

I ditch my bike about 1km from Norton Lake as I have been pushing it up a boulder filled road.

I see it...

First time up here so I explore around a little bit. Very nice looking lake.

On the way back I found the most delicious berries. White raspberries maybe? They weren't salmonberries and were growing beside regular raspberries.

It took me about 5.5 hours to get to the lake and 6.5 hours to get back to car which was parked where Stawamus Indian Road starts.

Smartphone GPS using Canada Maps Pro was great for figuring out the spur roads.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I did it once. I'm in no hurry to return. You do it every year?! [:0]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

Sorry for the wound. yeeouch! I am really fearing snake encounter on my next hike, Wed.
Wounded, then to go on. We have no choice, do we? Very nice looking lake. Way cool!!
I sorta miss my mtn bikin days....only sorta hehe good trip.[8D]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Summit Master

No fish report?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

When I was working in that area years ago trimming shake blocks there was fairly good fishing but there was also helicopter fly in fishing there and the fishing went down hill in that lake after that started.
It was a nice area to camp in back then when you could drive in there.

Although I can see why drivable access is denied now since they introduced Elk there that will keep out the poachers.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Nice elk sighting.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

BH: Yup...well as of 3 years ago. Previous to that I had a dirtbike and would do it several times a year. I'm going to guess it's the long haul uphill back to the divide that turns you off?

RM: I am not much of mountain biker myself but it makes getting down the road or trail way faster. Up not so much.

AT: I fished for about 1 1/2 hours. First hour I consider wasted as I was chucking my bait way to far out. The last bit I was chucking a shrimp under a float just off the shoreline and had zillions of bites but they were very small trout and I never actually landed one. I was also there during the heat of the day and I would guess that morning or evening would be better. A boat of some sorts would be a bonus as well because good shore access is limited to 5 or 6 spots that I could tell.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wildman

When I was working in that area years ago trimming shake blocks there was fairly good fishing but there was also helicopter fly in fishing there and the fishing went down hill in that lake after that started.
It was a nice area to camp in back then when you could drive in there.

Although I can see why drivable access is denied now since they introduced Elk there that will keep out the poachers.
Can still get ATV or dirtbike in there. Actually I think with the work the motorized groups have done on the road you could get a lifted 4x4 in there.

I have heard that poachers would bring ATV's in on boats in the winter.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Trail Running, Mountain Biking, SAR

Thanks for posting. I also have lots of memories of riding that road, not all of them good, however it is a beautiful area.
I am sorry to say that I don't think those elk are safe from poachers just because the bridge has been pulled.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Any good camping spot's around Indian Arm near or on the water you encounterd in past rides? What do you think is the total distance there too..any idea? Isn't that road gated btw? I was going to attempt driving in my high clearance 4 wheeler a few years ago for some good camping possibilities but it was gated back then. Almost looking like maybe one could perhaps drive it if that's the worst shown in your bridge removed shot's. Off to the right side there maybe?

Thanks
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sidetrip

Any good camping spot's around Indian Arm near or on the water you encounterd in past rides? What do you think is the total distance there too..any idea? Isn't that road gated btw? I was going to attempt driving in my high clearance 4 wheeler a few years ago for some good camping possibilities but it was gated back then. Almost looking like maybe one could perhaps drive it if that's the worst shown in your bridge removed shot's. Off to the right side there maybe?

Thanks
Yes prime camping spots at the end of the arm. Also quite a few sandbars along the river to camp as well. The last bit right before the arm is native land so check a map. The road is not gated anymore, however, it is "closed" after the lockblocks. Google earth is good for locating sandbar river camping. Distance is about 80 km return.

I did see one side by side ATV (4 seater) which is about the same size as a lifted Suzuki Samurai in there but did not get to see him get around the obstacles. Personally if I was going to try to 4x4 it I would be sure to bring a buddy with a 4x4 as well.

The Indian River can be crossed as you guessed to the right and I think the worst parts of the road are actually not that crossing or the lockblock wall but just a couple of bouldery sections. There is one pretty bad section I don't have a pic of.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page