anvil island leading peak East cheapskate approach - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default anvil island leading peak East cheapskate approach

This has been on the radar for a long time but being a cheapskate I didn't want to pay for the watertaxi or Bible camp donation.

Numerous trip descriptions of paddling to pebble beach then to hook up with bible camp trail. All just seem way to easy
sidetrips https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=17182
Seemed like a adventure

Howe sound wind (as always was wind warning)

Put in at Porteau Cove Provincial Park wind was 3-4 knots so just headed straight to Anvil. Beautiful water a couple seals and not much more to report.
Beached at the normal small cove beside the stream tucked kayak in the trees.

Trail starts on the left hand side with yellow,pink and orange ribbons. Pretty much off and on foot bed but at times hard to see with dead fall etc.
At the 370m mark the flagging stopped and attempted to follow the worn foot bed but it goes left. Went up a short distance then bluffed out, back tracked and found this unmarked route up a small path in the bluffs on right.
Followed that a bit and just started to get annoyed as no ribbons to be seen. Found this crazy game trail that skirt the bluffs on this ledge. Bushwhacked a bit then came to bluff head wall and found the ribbons. Trail went another route further right (north)

Rest of the trail is pretty straight forward but some steep exciting parts. Hooks up with bible camp trail at 15 marker.

On the return at the 400m where I found the marked trail on the way up. I followed the marked route and was moving along no problem. Then all of a sudden it just stopped and the route down was this washed out tree and rock jam. F*** me, Screw it just bulldozed my way down this steep section over rocks, trees, stumps. At the bottom I was at the section where the flagging had vanished. So it looks like the original trail route has been washed out. But looking up from where I came no way in hell would you expect that is the route.
So be warned some interested route finding required

Over all a pretty decent trail minimal dead fall that you have to climb over. Just has lot of steep sections but hell way more exciting then bible camp trail(boring)

Sorry about the pics, i have to fix them,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:31 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Beautiful report. The views up there are stunning and your shots do it justice.

I've never done Leading Peak from that side before, but this looks like a true adventure. Gotta try it sometime
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Nice job, looks great up there. You might have to lead a hike up there now that you know the area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Wow, this is a precious report I saw for the first time on Anvil island. Thanks for the photos of the area and distant view shots. Looks dry. Very much enjoyed.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gdichasaz

Nice job, looks great up there. You might have to lead a hike up there now that you know the area.
I second that. Nice shots, seems the world got turned on its side, so I bent my neck as far as I would go.

Thanks Cam.

K
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Cycling, kayaking, photography, running, guitar,

Well done and very appealing Cam. Always inspired by kayak/hiking tr's. I'd like to also try some of the other island parks in the neighbourhood - although I'm more of a current and weather weanie..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Scaling New Heights

A friend and I were looking at doing the peak tomorrow. We checked with camp and got this reply

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately during the months of July and August we are unable to have hikers on the camp property as we have campers on the island. During the spring and fall we would be happy to have you hike the peak, but unfortunately during the summer this is our policy.
Thank you for your understanding,
Shannon

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Hey Stryder

I believe in a other post, Ryan's or possibly my research I receive the same info.

Actually thinking about it the water taxi told me the bible camp will not allow you to pass with out a police background check. Since in summer kids are in camp etc etc

Good luck
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 04:26 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stryder

A friend and I were looking at doing the peak tomorrow. We checked with camp and got this reply

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately during the months of July and August we are unable to have hikers on the camp property as we have campers on the island. During the spring and fall we would be happy to have you hike the peak, but unfortunately during the summer this is our policy.
Thank you for your understanding,
Shannon
Stryder

yeah, I boat over there from Gibson's during their off-season. They are great to deal with but are very protective of the kids in the camp during summer months and of course, insurance and liability issues require them to be so. Very accommodating otherwise.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Summit Master

Ya, we did it mid May. I had no idea they restricted you during bible camp months.

-Ryan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page