Dunn peak 120608 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Dunn peak 120608

Left Kamloops 0400, turned on to the Harper cr FSR by N Barriere lake at 0530. I had heard sledders were still accessing Harp mt by this route, no dead-fall and small slide had been cleared. Road is in great shape passable with any vehicle. Dunn Peak FSR took a bit of work. A couple trees cleared with a hand saw and a tow rope. (should have taken the time to get the chain saw ready). Hit snow around 1400m, hiked, skinned and forded the next two kms to the summer parking lot. Clearing a few small trees along the way, road is clear of dead-fall to summer lot as of now.
Poured rain as we skinned up and over to Joseph Cr. The bridge is plugged with debris, the creek hangs a right and makes a new channel east of it. Constructed a makeshift bridge, only one wet foot crossing. Stayed as high as possible accessing the basin where the snow bridges were still strong enough for safe crossing. Slow going in beautiful old growth forest, up and down, in and out of
tree wells and streams. Took 6.5 hrs to get approx 8kms into the basin. Fresh snow at 1700m. Visibility was about 10 m in the basin, snowing like crazy.Snow quality seemed good, with a fresh layer of butter like topping. This was my third attempt in winter to access the main basin in winter, finally made it can see nothing! Still very happy to be there. It was about 15:00, no sign of clearing. Decided to head back. 4.5 hrs back to truck and of course the sun came out as we got close. On the drive out we came across two grizzly bears less then 10kms apart both stayed on the road long enough for a good viewing, not long enough to get the camera out. The second one was huge, possibly the largest bear I have seen.
Next winter I will plan to spend at least 4 days to get her Dunn. One in , one out, two to play. No pictures as the uploader not functioning for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Anyone have any info on the North couloir? I have looked for trip reports found a couple climbs, anyone have a ski trip report?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Headed for the Mountains

So wish I could have done that with you!! Man we gotta explore that area more this coming winter. I hope you had a great birthday and an amazing hike in the cascades!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:37 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegarun View Post
Anyone have any info on the North couloir? I have looked for trip reports found a couple climbs, anyone have a ski trip report?
Skied the North Couloir on Feb 7TH 2017. amazing conditions!
followed the summer trail after making it up to km 17.5 on Harper Creek Fsr due to active logging. dropped the sled at the summer trail head at 6:30 am and began the descent into the valley. one hour before we arrived at valley bottom and it was cold (-25).
from there we simply followed the creek and stuck to the west side when travel was tight. skinning conditions were excellent.
3 hours later we were on top of the couloir apron with out skis on our backs. Relatively easy boot pack up the couloir and we arrived at the top another 3 hours later. The descent was great with a mix of wind crust, powder and storm slab. 3.5 hrs later we were back at the sled and on our way home.
Tips: leave early. this is a mission with little room for error. because it is a steep ascent out of the valley give yourself enough time for many water and food breaks (12 hours total not including sled times).
A good idea to bring extra safety gear like a spot or Delorme.
again, because it is a steep ascent out of the valley you may want to bring some overnight supplies and leave them in the valley in case of emergency. you will not be able to haul your partner out of the valley.
travel was easy so I think you can leave all unnecessary gear like ropes, crampons and even axe at home to save weight and sub with extra food for the push out.
a great ski! a beautiful part of the world! enjoy!
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page