Schoen Lake & Abel Creek Valley. - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life
Default Schoen Lake & Abel Creek Valley.

I'll try a few less revealing photo uptakes here from my 600 km overnighters last week to beat the longweekend mad-house.

Bears, elk, peace, cougar, ptarmigan, grouse, children, canoes + long dolly-walks.
Very serene. Sun & Snow & no people . One group on the way out of friendly informative forest-workers and a hunter somewhere. These pictures I will share.
Any Islanders that wish to inquire further can personal messenge me.
Take care.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Odd reaction I got from the images uploader, it seemed to accept it all then disappeared with my photos, essentially irretrievable and not even able to trace it back to a starting source[?]Scratching the rest of my comments from earlier...

...Had me reflecting on this when I am supposed to be relaxing on my short vacation, something I needn't be doing].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 05:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Looks like you visited Shoen Lake Park according to the first set of photos. I've been there last year and the road was quite rough...extreme potholes. It's a nice place to canoe.
I also came across a bear up a tree as I was hiking around Darkis Lake...didn't see or hear it until I heard branches breaking then I saw it heading up.
Looks like you had a good time...nice to get away and just see wildlife. I've never seen so many bald eagles since I moved here....the other day, one drifted directly over head about 15 feet away.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Nice one Cambium. Nice to see the bears hang up in the tree, rather than coming to check you out up close.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Headed for the Mountains

OMG love the pics of the bears... what an opportunity, and what luck!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by solo75

Looks like you visited Shoen Lake Park according to the first set of photos. I've been there last year and the road was quite rough...extreme potholes. It's a nice place to canoe.
I also came across a bear up a tree as I was hiking around Darkis Lake...didn't see or hear it until I heard branches breaking then I saw it heading up.
Looks like you had a good time...nice to get away and just see wildlife. I've never seen so many bald eagles since I moved here....the other day, one drifted directly over head about 15 feet away.
You get the prize
Yes the road is rough, impassible between the gate[3.3 kms from lake] & the actual camp, with no vehicular access for even most 4x4s but the smallest & lightest. A serious rock slide that followed the flow of a creek crossing with an angle that will not tolerate any heavy trucks or trailers.
Many many downed big trees.
A canoe-dolly is required to cart equipment, a worthwhile challenge , and access to the lake shore is also thwarted.The "closed signs" on Hwy #19 are legit.
Parks BC has not invested money to repair this, I guess 8oo year old cedars in one park and maintenance of this Park is not on their agenda.
On the plus side, it is quiet and nature returns here with several red-headed sapsuckers waking us at 5:30 am the morning.
No unruly or noisy people.In 2006 I scolded some goofs from Nanaimo that burned beer cans at the far end of the Lake and left a messy pit and lake bottom.
Pets and children in this Park & Woss lake lake park need to be in sight and not loose at any time, these valleys and park are heavily populated by cougars and even an attack inside the camp ground only closes the parks to all users
And the cats will not be tracked/killed [2007 event]. Too many cats to call any one of them a suspect.
Funny thing is, when I arrived in 2007 just one week after a cougar attack on a child the Warden let me & my children through and boat-camp down the lake on a shoreline only because we were armed and experienced.That's the kind of valley this place is, wild.
Mt Cain & Abel is lovely right now, some postholing, but mostly a firm snow pack with two kinds of predators strolling about and leaving their tracks, they seemed to turn tail and exit back through the trees into the mtn range.
I've always found the North end of the Island to be a different mindset of locals and an honour system when it comes to items and property & useages.
Not as heavily populated as the south end or mainland.

[ n.b. sorry about my earlier venting, just feel I had two or three greivances to air,& I didn't like the comment about adding more plastic pollution via golf balls into the sea, ticking time bombs they are for bottom dwellers, just felt that was a tasteless comment that sat with me a few days from someone that does not seem to like me. When I'm camping I want to relax and have one beer and fresh air and clear thoughts.And that's that for that.]

p.s. there are indications that a sizable block of land will beactive & logged somewhere between 5.5 kms to 7.5 kms along the access road & along the Mt Cain Road plus some mega-dynamiting occurring outside the western boundary of the Park near Davies Creek.Some of these Big Old Trees are soon to be felled.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 07:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Thanks for the update on the road conditions.
I hope to get up to Mt. Cain for a hike sometime when the snow is gone and maybe before they log the area. It's an eyesore I don't like seeing especially after expending all that energy to get up high and seeing patches of denuded landscape.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

^
yes, the creeks as they descent into the valley have a definite tint of brown to them, the upper slopes of the Mt Cain approach are somewhat boggy and very logged over & rumpled with scarcely a tree bigger than 40 years or alpinish. It would be a rough trek to try & traverse open terrain up there outside the snow season, except on-high in the Alpine Park-Mt Waddington regional park.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Hey Cambium, was up there in early February and had noted the washout. It is too bad that the parks system wont put money into repairs, the lake is beautiful, and the area really wild (as you mentioned).

I watched them putting up the falling boundaries in February, it does indeed look like a size-able block.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page