Dramatic Skies over Elk Thurston Ridge - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 02:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I Had Isaac out on Hollyburn last Saturday and he had a bit of a melt down when I wouldn't let him down to walk in the 4 inches of snow. Finally I caved in and let him down and he had another meltdown because he had no traction and kept falling. The only thing that saved the day was him spotting blueberries next to the trail.

PS - Isaac is just over 30 pds. With gear and water, bag is about 40. The max weight the bag says is for 50 pds. I'll have horse legs by the time Isaac can cruise up a hill by himself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Off the Beaten Path

My hat is off to you Exscape for carrying a load like that. How do you even stay balanced when you get back down after kneeling to photograph something? Guess having a heavy SLR at the front helps!

What an enjoyable trip report.

Quote:
quote:
Loved this image, FlowingBrook - too often we forget to look up.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 07:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Amazingly beautiful photos you two, and great to come across the four of you. : )

The earlybird didn't catch the worm in this case. We were held back on the road because of logging and then we didn't really see too much sun once on the ridge. We went past Thurston proper and descended down to the road to Mercer. Strolled down that a bit and then turned around for lunch in those meadows just above the road.

This pic is of Chipmunk Creek, with Archibald, Cheam, Lady, etc. from a clearing on the ridge just 5-10 minutes below Thurston proper. : )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

What a great looking trip you all had! Beautiful day for it too! I was looking up at Elk from work wishing I was up there.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by John and Katie

Amazingly beautiful photos you two, and great to come across the four of you. : )

The earlybird didn't catch the worm in this case. We were held back on the road because of logging and then we didn't really see too much sun once on the ridge. We went past Thurston proper and descended down to the road to Mercer. Strolled down that a bit and then turned around for lunch in those meadows just above the road.

This pic is of Chipmunk Creek, with Archibald, Cheam, Lady, etc. from a clearing on the ridge just 5-10 minutes below Thurston proper. : )

What a great view spot! I have yet to stumble upon this. I wonder how close I've been to it exploring beyond the Thurston summit...
post #20 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:48 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.

Alexa must be leading the pack in hikes done by a baby this year. Perfect day on Elk for everyone.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Cody; Alexa has her fair share of little meltdowns too. I can also relate to the "legs like a horse" realization.

Susied the kneeling down and getting up isn't as difficult as you'd think with the help of a trekking pole for extra balance when needed.

Thanks again everyone. I enjoy getting out there with her.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

I believe the day has come that Alexa weighs too much for Jenn to carry up the mountain. I'll either have to get faster or put rocks in Jenn's pack so that I don't seem too slow [].

Lovely memory sweatpea!
post #23 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Had to do a double take here ..surprised to see snow, then it was 2011 and that makes sense. Nice shots to look at again. I think it probably is all greeen and gray up there now.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page