Needle - Oct 14 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Needle - Oct 14

Yet another TR to the Needle...but hey why not...it's a pretty nice place to be.

Headed out Sat Oct 14 with shigum and wife. Beautiful day - clear and sunny. A few other cars in the "parking" area. Trail was wet and muddy up until about 1400m+ when it got pretty icy. Actually the trail was downright treacherous at times. Strap some spikes onto your pack if you are thinking of heading out there anytime soon...go any later and it will be a pure snowshoe trek.

Snow line was not much further up (1500m ish?) and was not too deep but it is certainly winter up there.

Got up to the peak and scrambled up the first section - we had a member of the group who didn't feel comfortable heading up so we were left with the (still great) views after the first scramble. Had a bite to eat to recharge and headed back down. Have to go for the summit next time around...up and back in about 5hrs. The trip back down was even worse - there were a few slip and falls - again some spikes or traction is a good idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kirk567...7627810516557/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Quote:
quote:we had a member of the group who didn't feel comfortable heading up so we were left with the (still great) views after the first scramble.
Yeah I had a similar situation.[B)]. Too bad though as I think that first bit is actally a touch more of a challenge than the final peak scramble.

Looks like you had a touch more snow than I!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Long drive for you if you came down from Kamloops, but well worth the drive. Forget the mud and ice; beautiful area and great trail otherwise.. vistas are stunning.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exscape

Yeah I had a similar situation.[B)]. Too bad though as I think that first bit is actally a touch more of a challenge than the final peak scramble.
Gives me a good reason to head back - not that I really need one

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page