Jug Island/Admirality Point - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default Jug Island/Admirality Point

The weather has been so beautiful lately, making me want to squeeze after-work hikes in when I can.
One place I've headed to in the past when time has been on the short side is the Jug Island trail in Belcarra. For this visit, I decided to combine the it with the Admirality Point Trail and stretch the walk out to a total 10km.

Belcarra Regional Park is tucked away on Burrard Inlet at the mouth of Indian Arm and the trails lead off north and south from the main park area. The access road to the park is gated and closed at 7:00pm this time of year (technically the park closes at 7:00 too) but you can park on Bedwell Bay Road beside the park, so there's no need to rush back for the curfew.

I started off at the Jug Island trailhead beside the road- the trail here is pretty much a road too, as it winds up through the trees. I came across some nice, fresh gravel before the part where the trail becomes more of a "trail" and put some nice, fresh footprints in it.[]

From there it kinda levels off a bit, then goes slightly down, then climbs again to stairs, and up to the highpoint with a view of Bedwell Harbour. Next it's a flat bit, followed by the descent to the trail terminus: a pleasant little pocket beach directly across from Jug Island.

After retracing my step through the forest, I took a bit of time to explore the beach and pier at the park before continuing on to Admirality Point.

By this time, the sun was setting in earnest so I ducked back into forest. This flatter trail parallels the coastline through the trees, offering occasional glipses of the inlet. Along the way, I stopped at Cod Rock to enjoy the last bit of sunset. Then it was on to the rocks at Admirality Point itself in the fleeting light for a look towards the city, before I turned around and headed back via headlamp.

It was great leg-stretcher on a beautiful fall evening with a wonderful combination of crunchy leaves and seaside sights. Would like to come back when I have more time and combine these trails with a crossover to Sasamat Lake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Off the Beaten Path

looks like you had a good day on the trail. I love poking around that park too!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 06:58 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Looks like a nice pleasant hike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for sharing, your trip report has made me feel all relaxed and calm just by reading it on this damp grey morning! Looks like a nice part of our world that I will need to check out.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks for the responses.

I know it's not a super-exciting destination, but for an after-work jaunt when there's only an hour window of daylight left, it does just fine.

Not particularly excitingly photo-worthy either, but everyone knows a good solo trip report should always be supplemented by gratuitous self-portraits. []

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Always nice to get out. Like that deep blue hue in those last few pictures.

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 05:26 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Cycling, kayaking, photography, running, guitar,

Looks like a neat place to trail run. I've only been to Sasamat from Vancouver by bike and to Jug by kayak from Deep Cove. Nice travelogue in pics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page