Lake of the Hanging Glacier - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:This whole area simply begs for overnight stay. I spotted faint trail (might be animals) along the left side of the lake; it seemed one could easily hike to the far end of the lake and toe of Jumbo Glacier itself, or scramble further up the slopes of Glacier Dome for bird-eye view of the lake -- opportunities for exploration seemed endless.
You got that right...simply one of the most spectacular lakes in existence!!

The trail along the east lakeside is a popular extension to the hike, leading to a real nice closeup of the toe. It's too bad you didn't get all the way up Glacier Dome ridge (it's about 600 m above the lake to even better views), but as you know, it makes for a long day with lots of elevation gain.

Thanks for the great TR.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Looks like a great area - thanks for the TR!

Another one on the list!
post #18 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pmjwright
The trail along the east lakeside is a popular extension to the hike, leading to a real nice closeup of the toe. It's too bad you didn't get all the way up Glacier Dome ridge (it's about 600 m above the lake to even better views), but as you know, it makes for a long day with lots of elevation gain.
Thanks for this info; I knew Glacier Dome was doable as day trip, but when I arrived to the lake & saw non-optimal light conditions for photos, I made decision to come back some other time & overnight. I believe optimal way to visit (for non-climbers) is Day 1: Hike in, setup the camp, then go around the lake to the toe of the glacier:

Day 2, get up early & scramble up Glacier Dome; be up by 9 or 10 am, when I believe sun would be in optimal position for photography. I just found this shot on Panoramio, which looks amazing:

Everyone else, thank you very much for kind comments on this post. Following day I went on my 1st visit to Bugaboos & have some great photos. Will try to post full TR before end of this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

I was going to go to the Conrad Kain hut after Lake O'hara,but I heard it was bad weather so I did other stuff instead...would love to see your shots
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

A very popular trip in the area for sure. The bridge is taken out and put back in each year by volunteers. The outhouse is in the trees to the right of the trail as you make the last approach to the lake.

On another note the proposed Jumbo resort will be on the glaciers above this lake and some lifts may be visible from the lake.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Photography, Skiing

Hey! I recognize that first photo.

I first did LOHG as a day hike with my husband back in 2002. I had been looking to return here as an overnighter and when I convinced a friend from Washington to come up for a Rockies trip last year, this seemed like the obvious hike to wow her.

My actual trip report is over on nwhikers. http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...627&highlight=

We use the Copeland's guidebooks for all our beta, they've never steered us wrong.

Glad you enjoyed the place, not really hard to do hereat all, although the bugs can be horrendous in the summer.

Karen
post #22 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Wow David and Karen,that's a great TR!!! Thanks for sharing and the list grows.........
post #23 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Karen

Hey! I recognize that first photo.

My actual trip report is over on nwhikers. http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...627&highlight=

Karen
Thank you so much Karen. I have visited many places you did, but Your photo site will always be such an inspiration. I just saw you updated it recently; there is now even more reason for drooling!

As far as report on hwhikers goes: After seeing that "rafting in crocs" You Tube video, I must quote No Quitting: "OMG!" Next September I will go back: Overnight at LOHG and Cobalt Lake in Bugs top the list. Flipping through "Hikes around Invermere" -- I'd LOVE to visit International Basin, but that trip (several CT reports) has some logistic problems that require a bit more planning.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Summit Master

lol
post #25 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:09 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Hello,

Could you please answer a question related to this comment on the page https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/drm/!bak/recreation/RecreationTrails/SteamboatInvermere/LakeHangingGlacier.htm
"The trail then narrows and ascends before crossing a footbridge over Hell Roaring Creek.
(Note: this footbridge is installed for the months of July through September only. Crossing when the creek is not bridged may be treacherous.)"

How difficult do you think the creek crossing will be without the bridge? A group of friends is planning this day-hike in a week and half.

Thank you,
Igor
post #26 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor View Post
How difficult do you think the creek crossing will be without the bridge? A group of friends is planning this day-hike in a week and half.

Thank you,
Igor
It's been few years so memory has faded, but I believe they are talking about this bridge (pic from original report):

I'd expect water level to be similar right now (or even lower), so make up your own mind but it does not look too problematic although they might have to take their boots off.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:16 AM
High on the Mountain Top

we did a TR on this location in 2013, following repair and re-opening of the horse thief road, as well installation of the hell roaring foot bridge ( it had been wiped out prior to that). A spectacular location and one we return to from time to time.

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...rail-open.html

In low water the creek might be ok to cross, but we've only been there when it is truly hell-roaring. I would contact 'Summit trail makers" or janice strong for info on water levels in hell roaring creek. They may know someone who has up to date info

pic from 2103 report

Attached Images

Last edited by xj6response; 09-30-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling
post #28 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:15 PM
Headed for the Mountains

whats the scramble up glacier dome like from the lake? looking at google maps it looks like a lot of trees, is it a bushwhack or is there a standard route up? is glacier dome always snowcapped even in august?
post #29 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 04:37 PM
Summit Master

Most everybody does Glacier Dome from the west these days as glacial recession has made the east side route untenable.

It is glacier, so yep, it pretty much has snow year round. From the west, the glacier is pretty benign. Usual access is via steep col from Monica Meadows.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:17 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Most everybody does Glacier Dome from the west these days as glacial recession has made the east side route untenable.

It is glacier, so yep, it pretty much has snow year round. From the west, the glacier is pretty benign. Usual access is via steep col from Monica Meadows.
Sorry i guess i just mean topping out on the ridge below glacier dome (from the east) for to get that postcard view of lake of the hanging glacier that was linked to in the first post in this thread. just wondering what that scramble is like? i'm assuming the people in this thread didn't climb a glaciated peak if they didn't mention anything about it

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page