MacFarlane crime spree - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default MacFarlane crime spree

About eight vehicles (including mine) were broken into at the Mount Macfarlane trailhead (Pierce Lake FSR) last night. Many windows smashed (for some reason they smashed two windows on my vehicle). Gear strewn everywhere. I would not recommend parking overnight on Chilliwack Lake Road.

More detailed trip report to follow...

Rest of trip report:

Firas and I hiked up to Pierce Lake on Saturday morning. The bridge/log over the creek is pretty much a disaster, but I guess it's been like that for a while. Lots of campers at the lake, but never seemed that crowded. We camped at the creek inflow, and fished from the small beach next to our camp. The fish are plentiful and ravenous, but the ones we caught were quite small. Had some success with a woolly bugger in the afternoon and a dry fly at around sunset. Some fool was letting off what sounded like dozens of bear bangers.

Sunday, 9am, we set off for the summit of MacFarlane. At the upper lake we decided to climb MacFarlane and then traverse right around the upper lake via the ridge crest, in an anticlockwise direction.

We started by climbing the snow filled gully to left (south) of the standard North East ridge trail. The snow was steep but firm. We wore crampons. We reached the col on the south East Ridge and scrambled the final 100' of the SE ridge to the summit. I would describe this as a moderately difficult class 3 with minor exposure but lots of loose rock and unreliable handholds.

We rested on the summit for 45 minutes and then returned to the South East Ridge. Not wanting to down climb the same route, we skirted around to climber's left and descended some steep and unpleasant scree until reaching the col again. I used my axe on the scree.

We followed the south East Ridge all the way to a high point directly south of the upper lake. The SE ridge was great fun. Easy class 3. Plenty of interesting route finding to avoid exposure. Firm, blocky rock. It's easy enough to stay right on the ridge most of the time. Just before the second col I found the remains of a hawk.

The final high point south of the lake is a little tricky. Almost class 4, but no exposure. We gained it from the south side of the ridge. We then backtracked slightly and dropped down onto a steep and hard north facing snow slope. Crampons and axe were essential.

We then walked along a wide flat saddle in a north east direction around to the east side of the upper lake. There is a very steep descent through trees and krumholtz on the east side of the upper lake, and then it is an easy hike across a brownish boulder field in the north east corner of the bowl.

We were back at the broken down wooden helipad (or whatever it is) at around 3pm, and back at Pierce Lake at around 4pm. We reached the trailhead and our vandalized vehicle at around 7:30pm. Good times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 07:26 AM
High on the Mountain Top

This is the primary reason I have steered clear of Macfarlane, Wiliams, etc, thus far.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Pierce TH has a bad reputation for this but 8 vehicles takes the cake.
Last time I went up Pierce I parked along the main road instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

That sucks!!! Loosers!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 08:01 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

Hey Tim, that's a shame about the vehicles. Thanks for the warning and look forward to your detailed trip report.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 08:34 AM
High on the Mountain Top

When I was there a few years ago I often wondered (during my hike!!) if my vehicle would be intact upon my return. Sad place.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyGoat

Pierce TH has a bad reputation for this but 8 vehicles takes the cake.
Last time I went up Pierce I parked along the main road instead.
Unbelievable. Horrible. I think in the future I would also park along the main road.

This place almost warrants a hidden camera in the woods.

Karl
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Scaling New Heights

I'm sorry to hear that Tim, sounds like it would put a real damper on the end of a hike.
Especially infuriating would be having more than one window smashed, that's just senseless and doesn't help them steal anything any quicker.

Another addiction fueled crime no doubt...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Same thing happened to us last year

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=36609

I just got a call two weeks ago from a guy that had purchased my phone that was stolen from the car from a pawnshop asking if I needed any of the info that was still in my phone. He was contacting me because he wasn't sure why my phone still had so much info in it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Scaling New Heights

My friends truck was stolen and torched from that spot last summer.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Summit Master

Wow. If anyone lives in the area, they could probably run a tidy little side business providing private parking for hikers/backpackers and shuttling them to trailheads along the Chilliwack Lake road.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I would pay for a shuttle. Even when I left my car at the "on the way" store I came back to it with the door handle missing and trunk open. I thought for sure it would be safe there. That road is horrible everywhere on it.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Summit Master

Perhaps fewer cars would be broken into if the thieves never found anything worth stealing in them. I hope the people who do leave valuables in their cars consider that it results in just as many breakins to the cars belonging to people who don't leave such stuff in their cars. At least we don't get our valuables stolen.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sgRant

Perhaps fewer cars would be broken into if the thieves never found anything worth stealing in them. I hope the people who do leave valuables in their cars consider that it results in just as many breakins to the cars belonging to people who don't leave such stuff in their cars. At least we don't get our valuables stolen.
I don't entirely disagree, but sometimes thieves consider almost anything "valuable," like the jack to change to your spare tire (don't want to take that hiking!) or your change of clothes for afterward.

Also, there is the vandalism aspect. Some cars will still get their windows smashed even if there is nothing to steal, "just for fun."

I guess you could leave your windows rolled down... (I'd say doors unlocked, but I'm not convinced they check before smashing). Need a high pressure system for that though, and rodents might eat your seats.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Just wondering if in this event; were the victimes overnighting ? Just a thought if day-only hiking has less risk of damage when you park in this area for the day, rather than overnight when camping up in the lakes.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page