A soggy Trophy... - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default A soggy Trophy...

Sometimes plans don't always work out and the weather made sure I had a day hike instead of an overnighter.

Plan was to head up to Trophy Mountain, stay overnight, wake up very early take some photos of sunrise and the meadows in the morning and boot back to Kamloops for work at 10.

The meadows are quite stunning right now - seems like with the late summer most all of the flowers are out right now making for a very colorful hike up to Sheila Lake. No sooner did I get up to the lake and get half setup for the night a massive thunderstorm rolled in. I finished getting the tent up and took some shelter but the rain persisted. I did some exploring of the campsite and area around the lake in the rain.

After about an hour and a half of hard rain and no hope of clearing in sight I decided to pack up and head back down. No sooner did I get back on the trail the skies started to clear somewhat. What a pisser. It wouldn't have been a "nice" night but had I known it was going to clear I certainly would have followed the game plan and stayed...

The camp at Sheila is nice - I was curious after some reading if the was a bear pole/cache at the site as most info I found (some on CT) said there wasn't. I even stopped in at the Wells Gray info center to ask and even the park employees there said there was no food storage/pole at the lake. One of the first things you see coming to Sheila Lake - the can and some bear caches...

Some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kirk567...7627448618561/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 06:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

What luck. Thunderstorms seem common around that area during summer. About 4 or 5 years ago there was no bear cache.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I've read the summit of Trophy Mnt. is pretty straightforward/non-technical...is this the case? I have to go back and get to the top - this day was not a great one to be up on the ridges. Some serious lightning going on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 07:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
quote:
I've read the summit of Trophy Mnt. is pretty straightforward/non-technical...is this the case?
Quote:
quote:
You head up to the summit via Long Hill from Sheila Lake.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Yes, it is non-technical. There are actually seven or nine summits (I forget how many). One of the sub-summits is a class 3 scramble. If you get an early start, you can bag them all in a day.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

This is a cool shot of that mountain. Looks like an interesting area; mix of plentiful meadows and trees.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kirk567...7627448618561/

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

I must agree, this is a spectacular area!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Wow Im surprised how little snow there is up there compared to here. That meadow is also stunning earllier in the summer when the glacier lilies are out.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by weedWhacker

Yes, it is non-technical. There are actually seven or nine summits (I forget how many). One of the sub-summits is a class 3 scramble. If you get an early start, you can bag them all in a day.
Thx for the info solo75 and weedWhacker...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KARVITK

This is a cool shot of that mountain. Looks like an interesting area; mix of plentiful meadows and trees.
Thx K...not too great day for photos with the clouds. Can't wait to get some shots from up top...hopefully I can get up there again in the next few weeks and catch some clear weather...

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyGoat

Wow Im surprised how little snow there is up there compared to here. That meadow is also stunning earllier in the summer when the glacier lilies are out.
There was a bit of snow hanging out in the shaded areas up by Sheila - the peaks had quite a bit still it seemed.

post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, running, swimming, cycling, photographing
Send a message via MSN to Avatar

As of 2010... no Bear cache... was up there last year. The West Summit isn't technical especially if you hit the col between Long Hill and West Trophy. Both times I've done it, I've actually come down that way, and gone up the way that Roland writes about in his book which is on the East Side. Last year we got fogged out and kind of got turned around up there.

The true summit of Trophy requires dropping of East side and walking the exposed saddle to Trophy. While not technical, don't do it unless the route is bare, and it's best to do it with someone that is a comfortable with exposure.

Nice pics... those flowers are out really late.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page