Bagged by Whitecap Mountain - July 16-17 2011 - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

That was one large bear. Nice trip! Made for a great read when I was finally able to get the time to do more than scan the pictures.[8D]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

That's quite the beautiful area you got to and very well done report. It looks like it's year round winter up on top of Whitecap. I gather that beer was nice and cold and well earned.

post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

Sweet TR Benoit! We just got back last night. Interesting to see the difference in snow levels and compare your route to ours. We took three days, climbing MacGillvery and finding that shelter on day one. Summitting and back to shelter on day two. Hike out day three. The ski-lodge was in use by some scientists who were exploring the meadows on our last day.

You are brave to do this solo. We saw lots of bear dens and two grizzlies, and had one scratching at our shelter on night one, which spooked us a bit. What an AMAZING area! I'll throw up some pics in a seperate TR later. Thanks for the beta you provided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Bumming around above treeline.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Candy Sack

Sweet TR Benoit! We just got back last night. Interesting to see the difference in snow levels and compare your route to ours. We took three days, climbing MacGillvery and finding that shelter on day one. Summitting and back to shelter on day two. Hike out day three. The ski-lodge was in use by some scientists who were exploring the meadows on our last day.

You are brave to do this solo. We saw lots of bear dens and two grizzlies, and had one scratching at our shelter on night one, which spooked us a bit. What an AMAZING area! I'll throw up some pics in a seperate TR later. Thanks for the beta you provided.
Glad you guys made it out there Clayton, and good on you for taking three days. I really wish I did, Mcgillivray looks like a very nice mellow ascent with grat views. Your first day must have been huge, I thought backpacking to the col was pretty tough. It sounds like your girlfriend had a nice first few days in BC!

Re: bears. I nearly always camp above treeline. I've never been very comfortable camping in the trees as it seems more likely that animals will be around. I do know that bears will cross high passes (I've seen many tracks as high as 2500m and bear scat on glaciers), but it seems the likelihood of them stumbling into camp by chance high in the alpine is lower than if I was camping in the trees, especially if this camp has been used by others or if there is a source of food. This is why, for instance, when I go to Semaphore lakes I camp far away from the lakes on the flats below the train glacier headwall. Probably fewer food scraps there (although grizzlies seem to like alluvial flats as I found out in the Tchaikazasn valley - see TR) Having said this, I have had bears come into alpine camps twice so it's not an exact science - just what I've been rolling with and it's worked fairly well so far. I've always assumed that I will one day have a very close and probably scary as shit encounter with a grizz since I'm out in grizzly country so often. I think It'll happen one day. I accept that. That's why carry bear spray.

I also make a lot of noise when I hike solo. I mean a LOT. Thank god I don't go to oft-visited places because people would think I'm some kind of loonie, singing songs about bears and how I'm not a source of food. I also call out when I'm in camp. I think about bears a lot on my trips. It's something that's always in the back of my mind, often in front.

And if you still think I'm crazy, I recall reading somewhere on here that John Clarke used his food bag as a pillow. I keep mine wrapped in a dirty old shirt in my pack in my tent when in the alpine at night. I never leave anything in camp unless it's an extended (week or more) trip, if out on a day trip I carry all my food. On long trips in the alpine, when I leave camp for the day the food bag goes into the stinky shirt, preferably with stinky socks, and in the bottom of my stinky sleeping bag. I've been told by a guide that this is ok and I have not (yet) lost any food this way. The idea is that the smell of humans is more perceptible than that of food, and most of the times bears want nothing to do with humans. So I'm told.

Anyway, enough with this tangent, I really like discussions about bears as you can perhaps see. I'm very fascinated by them. Congratulations on making it and I look forward to the pictures of mcgillivray!

Benoit
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Bumming around above treeline.

Dean: Whitecap IS in the Bendor range. Two birds with one stone! The area around Truax is also great. I've wanted to get into Bobb creek via a pass at the head of Truax creek but I don't know if I'll have time before I move to Alberta. There is a lot of terrain to cover in the Bendor range.

BC me: Bralorne is booming right now. There's much more going on there than in Gold Bridge from what I can see. One of the mines is active.

I'm glad some people are enjoying this TR, and as with all my TRs I hope it inspires some people to get out there and experience this amazing area.

Benoit
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Great TR, and kudos to you for doing it solo, and in just two days! After reading, it inspired me to join Club Tread and be a part of the community. I will be heading up to McGillivray Pass Lodge in about a weeks time, and plan to get up Mt. McG during my stay. I usually hike up Standard Ridge and Prospect Peaks, but have only made it as far as the col. on McG, usually due to crazy weather. A day hike to Whitecap now sounds intriguing after seeing your pics... that would be a good full day hike from the cabin. Some day.

The first cabin you came across is appropriately named 'Pink cabin' and used to be a shack that housed a tow rope for an old downhill ski hill just above the cabin, in the days when Bralorne was a booming town. The second cabin used to be owned by the V.O.C., until it was abandoned when it started sinking into the marsh. There is also another old cabin farther down the valley called 'Star cabin' which used to be an old linesman cabin when telephone lines ran through the valley. It makes for an ok shelter, but it is also starting to fall apart.

I had planned to be at the cabin for Canada Day weekend, but decided against it when I heard of all the snow still in the alpine at the time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page