1402 people on the Chief - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default 1402 people on the Chief

I knew it would be busy on the Chief on a sunny Saturday, with snow still lingering just about everywhere else, and the increasing popularity of the trail in general, but I wanted a quick butt-burning outing to get in shape for summer hiking, and drtitmouse wanted the same, so off we went.

Blackfly had recently informed me that there'd been a headcount last Saturday; 1400 people had hiked it that day. Well I guess if it was to be the same this Saturday, we might as well make it 1402.

I guess it's official: The Chief is now the Grouse Grind of Squamish:

If you want to go up to 2nd Peak, get in line!

A major traffic jam in the gully going to 2nd Peak

1)the ladder; 2) the dog needs a little help

View of 1st Peak from 2nd; looks like if any more people show up it'll be standing room only.

Nice day for views from 2nd Peak :

Someone has set up a zipline across this gaping abyss. No way in hell I'd go across it, but to each his/her own!

View of Garibaldi

2nd Peak from 3rd (there are relatively few people on third):

Wildlife all around:

It was a very nice day out in spite of the throngs of people. At least everyone was happy and good natured about the traffic jams!

The downside: halfway back down I slipped and as I fell, I felt a yanking twisting from inside my left knee (the good knee!). I limped and hobbled the rest of the day, and it looks like my Canada Day long weekend hiking plans are likely shot. This was supposed to be a "getting in shape for hiking" hike; so much for that!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 06:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Wow thats nuts

Went to Joffre and I assumed it would be busier but didn't see a soul.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Disgusting. Part of me wants to torch the stairs and chop the chains, then another part says it's best to keep all the lemmings (not you of course) in one spot. Then the other part says....you don't live there any more anyways....phew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 PM
High on the Mountain Top

That's why you go up the front side. Dodging people is bad enough on the hike down, I wish dogs weren't allowed on the trail.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Disgusting
Really?

Many people enjoying what you enjoy is a bad thing?

It's outrage from all those people enjoying the hike that prevented the gondola from going up.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Nice report and pics! I go hiking to get away from all those people and find wildlife. That's almost like not even leaving the city (just as busy as stanley park, or grouse grind). Good to hear you got some fun exercise, and views out of the deal.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

WOW A WOW - CROWD..... crazy busy lanes and both full in one gully.

Tracy, great informative shots. I have a much better idea of what the trail is like. Part of it does look like the Grouse Grind.

K
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

hmm... I wonder what that photographer to the right, with his huge telescopic lens, is taking a photo of... doesn't look like there is any views to the left, oh wait

Looks like all the ladies with their lululemon pants have migrated from the Grind to the Chief

That's a slackline used by the climbers I believe. You can usually see them practicing it at the picnic tables at the bottom.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

Quote:

Disgusting. Part of me wants to torch the stairs and chop the chains, then another part says it's best to keep all the lemmings (not you of course) in one spot. Then the other part says....you don't live there any more anyways....phew.
In British Columbia we call that Multiple Personality Disorder.

Wow Tracy, that sure was a lot of peeps. We got the Peak to ourselves the first time I was there last year.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Flowing-Brook

Quote:

In <s>British Columbia</s> the little hick town I live in we call that Multiple Personality Disorder.
Wow Tracy, that sure was a lot of peeps. We got the Peak to ourselves the first time I was there last year.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Coastal

Quote:

Disgusting
Really?

Many people enjoying what you enjoy is a bad thing?

It's outrage from all those people enjoying the hike that prevented the gondola from going up.
<s>Some</s> lots of <s>people</s> lemmings like the comfort of knowing there are a billion people close to them. Same types that like hiking clubs where a dozen people are all blindly following the next. NOT TALKING about the OP by the way. Whatever, like I said at least there are spots like the grind and Chief to keep them all together. Anyways, i'm done with this since it's derailing the thread, and I have no problem with WS. Please don't type at me.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

G.R.O.S.S. [xx(]

Sorry to hear about your knee. I hope it heals quickly!!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:37 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

Isn't it great that hiking has become so cool? That's a heck of a lot of people using the trail! Makes me glad I live in the "Wack" and can take off to Yale and the Canyon or Manning Park and not have to deal with those kind of "line ups"!

Sorry to hear about your knee!

post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Holy traffic jam; I'm getting clautophobic just looking at some of those photos.

Sorry to hear about your knee. Hope it isn't too long a recovery for you.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

that zipline IS crazy!

i went up the chief about a month ago and you should have seen all the high school kids. One of the teachers said they were all in gr. 10 or gr. 11 from earth and ocean sciences and geography, taking a field trip. He wanted to take them climbing, but the principals or whoever had a say thought that would be too dangerous. So they did the chief instead. There were easily 200 of them, and you could tell they weren't used to hiking. it was endearing, also irritating, as they would mull around on the trail looking sheepish and out of their element. You almost had to push them out of the way, but i was mostly happy to see them outside and not stuck in a classroom. i know what that's like...

speaking of which, i should get back to studying...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page