1402 people on the Chief - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

That "zipline" is actually a slackline, people walk across that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

That "zipline" is actually a slackline, people walk across that.

omg! that is absolutely crazy!!! incredible.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

Lots of Lululemon, and I saw a woman hobbling down in those flimsy cheap canvas sneakers you can buy at the dollar store.
anytime a fit woman wants to wear those lulu lemon pants, i'm ok with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I was there on Sunday and the same thing - crazy busy. I even saw people carrying their dogs in backpacks! You're always going to have crowds at places like this for two reasons - one easy access (right off the highway and steps from Squamish) and the second reason - it's easy, too easy. Yeah, a little huffing and puffing but it's short (Have the same people do a hike 45km in one day and it's a different story). A lot of people use hikes like these and the Grind to get in shape - that's fine. Won't be long before they have a timer like on the Grind lol But actually I wanted to give advice for those people who complain about too many people - one, don't be selfish - everyone is entitled to the same trail and as the Buddha said "Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared." But if you're are like me, sometimes solitude is also a big bonus in the outdoors - here's the easy easy solution - Like the saying goes early bird catches the worm!!! Go EARLY - be the first on trail. Humans are so predictable - get up at the same time, get the family ready, hit the trail by 10am, etc. If you want the trail to yourself that passionately, like I do sometimes, just be there early before the crowds start - if you are early enough you might just be up and down before the crowds start. That is what also caused me to be a faster hiker too, I would be so fast that even if I didn't start first on the trail, shortly after I would be alone because I would have passed all the other hikers lol There have been times where even in August I can hike to Panorama Ridge or Black Tusk 100% alone, one of the most beautiful and popluar hikes, becuase I start so early and make it there and half the way back before even the people sleeping at Taylor meadows wake up So I guess what I'm saying is that if you want solitude and less crowds you have two options. If you can do them both you'll be a lot happier - start really really early and pick up the pace If that fails, just do what I do sometimes and hike through the night
post #35 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Beer before hiking.

A case if you don't like the crowds there are plenty of other places chose from. Chief is getting all the hype that the Grouse Grind use to get. Personaly I don't like hiking up something with a 1000 butts in front of my nostrils. Others may differ.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ubishops

If that fails, just do what I do sometimes and hike through the night
Plenty of cougar in that area, wouldn't do that. And hiking solo at night is just plain careless if you ask me... especially on a steep trail like the Chief. On the trail at 8 and you'll beat the crowds, easy.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I'm not capable of doing early for a short hike.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 08:19 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jeffweichel

Quote:

. And hiking solo at night is just plain careless if you ask me...
SOME people are not gorbies and have the skills to hike solo at night in safety.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:

Quote:

Plenty of cougar in that area, wouldn't do that. And hiking solo at night is just plain careless if you ask me... especially on a steep trail like the Chief. On the trail at 8 and you'll beat the crowds, easy.
I wasn't suggesting hiking the Chief at night (nor was I suggesting hiking alone at night - all those trips I had people with me) and there are some hikes that are safe to hike during the night (for example Elfin Lakes) if you know the trail well. I've done some beautiful hikes to Panorama Ridge - some nights with a full moon there's just as much light as there is on a sunny day with sunglasses lol It's all about experience and a sense of adventure. Don't knock it until you try it
post #40 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Quote:

Quote:

SOME people are not gorbies and have the skills to hike solo at night in safety.
lol yeah ok buddy. Accidents can happen to anyone. Hiking solo at night just elevates the risks. Sorry I insulted your ego.
post #41 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Quote:

Quote:

lol yeah ok buddy. Accidents can happen to anyone. Hiking solo at night just elevates the risks. Sorry I insulted your ego.
You didn't hurt my ego at all actually, why would you? It's a stupid comment to say some thing you are not confident with is careless, so it appears that you're the one who's ego was hurt since you don't have the skills or confidence to safely partake. That should go over well.

Mountaineers, climbers, skiers, and even hikers (labels blah blah blah) all travel in the dark way more often than you might think, and most do it safely and manage just fine. So all of these careless folks you rag about would not get alot of stuff done that they do if they mentally limited themselves to your line of thought and acceptable risk levels.
post #42 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Headed for the Mountains

You really take things too seriously. My comment was directed the average person who might be interested in hiking the chief and you didn't need to call me a gorbie for pointing out the fact that on a steep trail like the chief, hiking solo at night is probably not the safest option if you want to avoid crowds. I have solo hiked before. I climb and travel at night in the same ways you described. I was just making a pretty reasonable observation.

You're an active member of these boards so I guess you'll remember these missing hiker incidents:
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=39722
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...ssing,hiker%22

Solo hiking elevates risk and accidents happen to everyone. Two general observations that not only a "gorbie" can make.
post #43 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I reckon with the rainy forecast today there were only about 700-odd souls on the Chief today.

Turned out nice though

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page