1402 people on the Chief - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Scaling New Heights

If you look beyond the 10 or so most popular hikes in the SE BC you are still hard pressed to see more than a small handful of people out hiking on a given day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 09:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:
In British Columbia we call that Multiple Personality Disorder.
Actually, we don't. Most people have little dialogues in their head a hundred times a day, it's a way of weighing options and coming to decisions.

'Multiple Personality Disorder', more correctly called 'dissociative identity disorder', is a diagnosed condition that affects and challenges a lot of people. You might find it acceptable to use the term as a way of cutting down someone you don't like, but it's really no different than calling someone a 'retard' when they in fact suffer from no mental retardation at all.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kid Charlemagne

Quote:
quote:
In British Columbia we call that Multiple Personality Disorder.
Actually, we don't. Most people have little dialogues in their head a hundred times a day, it's a way of weighing options and coming to decisions.

'Multiple Personality Disorder', more correctly called 'dissociative identity disorder', is a diagnosed condition that affects and challenges a lot of people. You might find it acceptable to use the term as a way of cutting down someone you don't like, but it's really no different than calling someone a 'retard' when they in fact suffer from no mental retardation at all.
Excuse me, I was joking...and I know Kevin can take it [:X]

By the way Tracy, I neglected to wish you the fastest healing possible on your twisted knee. I hope you have a great weekend regardless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 09:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I know you were joking, that was my point, that it's not cool to joke about.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Cycling, kayaking, photography, running, guitar,

Nice!! Speedy recovery.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Summit Master

Hmm great destination and trail.. but i'll pass on the gong show on a day like this.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Scaling New Heights

I had no idea that many people were interested in the Chief? When I took the youth groups in the past I thought people hated us as we were crowding up the ladder but your photos are crazy!
Maybe more owners with dogs should hike this trail to clear away other folks?

Hope your knee heals fast, I have ripped both ACLs and my right LCL so I have to take it easy as well.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Climbing

theres virtually no one on the third peak trail and if you hit it up from the Slhany trail head I bet you have the place to yourself.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

J Mace has it right, almost no one goes to third peak and it's great. The gully between 3rd and 2nd is beautiful and also has way fewer people. Rain also keeps people away if you want to avoid them, I had a great (and wet) late season hike on the chief last year, and saw almost no one.

L'enfer c'est les autres after all.

Great TR WS.

post #25 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Well, I guess I can't fault all those other people for being there, since I was there too. I do remember the days when it was quieter and we'd only run into a few other people, as I've done this hike many times over the years starting when I was about 10. I can't really remember if there were stairs or chains when I was a kid, but certainly not as many stairs (I think the "stairs" were just big boulders), and up until recently you could stop at one of the little waterfall pools on the way down and soak your feet (it's fenced off now).

I also remember from when I was a kid, that to get to the trailhead you had to turn off the highway and drive a ways down an undeveloped dirt road. Now it's fully paved, with large signage, a traffic circle, overflow parking, a viewpoint, and the climber's campground has been spruced up as well.

I guess it's inevitable that a cool little hike that's doable by most people with a reasonable fitness level, close to an increasingly densely populated Lower Mainland, is eventually going to become too popular for its own good.

I somehow didn't mind all the people so much yesterday; maybe because I knew what it was going to be like before setting out and my brain was prepared for a lack of solitude. But I think nowadays if you want to avoid the crowds there, you have to go mid-week in the off season.

Lots of Lululemon, and I saw a woman hobbling down in those flimsy cheap canvas sneakers you can buy at the dollar store. Another woman passed me on the way back down to the parking lot, wearing a pure white yoga outfit and pristine white shoes. I wasn't sure how she did it, as I was covered in dirt myself.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb
Anyways, i'm done with this since it's derailing the thread, and I have no problem with WS. Please don't type at me.
No problem T2C You can consider my posts to be directed at others, even if they refer to your "contributions".

post #27 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by J Mace

theres virtually no one on the third peak trail and if you hit it up from the Slhany trail head I bet you have the place to yourself.
We skipped first peak, went to 2nd and then 3rd, and back down the trail that branches off down the hill between 2nd and 3rd (ie, not back down the metal ladder where all the people were). Is that where you meant? There were definitely not as many people on 3rd, though still a fair number.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Crazy amounts of people. On the flip side, I've had 3 outings to the Smoke Bluffs this season and I've seen four cars in the parking lot at the most. Both lots are usually packed full of climbers, so we were thrilled every time. Maybe everyone else just went hiking up the Chief? []
post #29 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Summit Master

I went on a great familiarization hike of the Chief the other day, learned lots of interesting tidbits and hidden away little gems, like the names and locations of some climbing areas I'd only heard of, locations of evacuation points and heli pads.

Btw, there is a new heli pad just to the right of Roadrunner rock. It is not a picnic area, don't sit on it or you might get a rude awakening

Also, given all the activity this weekend, I'm happy to report it was incident free.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Disgusting. Part of me wants to torch the stairs and chop the chains, then another part says it's best to keep all the lemmings (not you of course) in one spot. Then the other part says....you don't live there any more anyways....phew.
Hey that is NOT disgusting. Don't be upset that more people are getting out, getting fit and enjoying the outside world. Living in BC we will never run out of truly wild places to go. Use your imagination and whack some bush if you find the Grind and the Chief too crowded!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page