180m rappel of Serna Peak - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default 180m rappel of Serna Peak

The 'Hole in the Wall'
Saturday, June 25- Sunday, June 26th

I have often looked at this hole many times when in the area and I always wonder if it is the entrance to the Vortex, or stargate that bridges this world to the next...

We slogged up the Anderson River FSR spur from the avy debris below the ridge of Reh Peak in the rain on Saturday, reaching the cutblock below Serna-Gemse-Reh in
mid afternoon...With 4-60m ropes plus a 30 metre anchor line and enough rope ascending-descending gear to outfit a big wall climbing expedition + some over night gear like dry socks and spare boxers, we took a quick break before reaching the snow chute which is a quick way to climb up Serna without having to go up the Gemse-Serna col and having to then follow the ridge around to the slopes below the summit.

We were able to kick a pretty good staircase into the ramp and were on top in about an hour from the end of the road to the summit ridge.
Once reaching the top, we looked for a suitable place where we could drop the lines down for Sundays descent. Periods of rain and mist encircled us for a couple hours, but by the time we were setting up camp, clear weather could be seen in the distance and breaks in the cloud were giving us enough hopes for a dry evening.

The next day we woke up to this...

We put on the anchor line, and then attached the two ropes and threw them over...

Ya, I know what your thinking...mmm, dynamic?!? yes, we do usually use static line when we are trying to get into some holes, however, the static line I had was caked full of mud, plus between the three of us, we only had 100m of static, so forget it...going all dynamic...
YES, IT MAKES SWITCH OVERS VERY FUN...people pay money for bunjee jumping?? why? Just switch over a couple times on dynamic, just as good.
Anyways, Rich was the first one down...but he realized we missed our target...he radioed us from the bottom and told us to move the anchor set up over to the next set of trees a hundred feet over...

Myself and Aubrey re-adjusted the anchor and I was next to go down...only this time, the anchor ate 100ft more rope...and the radio that rich had wasnt working properly, it had got wet and he was unable to voice anything back to us, all |I heard was when he pressed the talk button...I realized this and set up codes for him and I to establish where the rope was...one click yes, two clicks no...etc. I now knew that with the three ropes we had on, they were short from the bottom by about 100ft...I took the last remaining 60m rope down with me on my rapp so I could reach the bottom and not have to rope walk up the face after getting into the 'hole'.

Doing the first swicth over I was lucky, there was a small ledge to stand on and it provided a comfy spot to switch over to the next rope...time for a bunjee jump...two bounces along the wall and I was back on track...

As I descended down the next rope, I was fully suspended in the air and came quickly right over the mouth of the cave...Once at the bottom of the cave, I saw I had only about 10 ft of rope left that was sitting on the ground at the sloping mouth of the entrance...I would now have to attach the next rope in order to get to Richard at the bottom of the wall...but first, into the hole!

Affter talking with some Lemurians, Atlanteans, Greys, and small short asian dwarfs in the cave, I was soon on my way to get off this rock face and meet Richard at the bottom...
Descending the final 10 feet of the third rope, and now switching over to the final rope was interesting...Hmmm...fully suspended in the air...okay, big knot that got a little to close to my atc...no worries, attached an ascender, put a leg loop, prusik on, take some weight off and then take off, and then put on...way too much fun for the second time*sarcasm*...a couple more bounces along the wall, then back on track and final rapp down to the ground...
Overall, it was pretty smooth considering a bunch of dynamic switch overs, and a wet drippy 200m wall of granite...Now, the waiting begins...

Aubrey was our summit rope man. Before myslef and Richard dropped, he agreed to stay back, collect the anchor and haul the ropes up...what a guy! He took the same descent path down the chute we took up, but he was good at it by now, since he had descended down this way last year on our way back from Gamuza...under way harder conditions, however, his load was way heavier this time...3 60m ropes, a bunch of gear and his own personal gear...He carreid all the crap back down the chute and met with us at the bottom of the bowl...

We got back down to the truck in about 1.5 hrs after meeting up with Aubrey, and we all felt good while looking back at the hole on Serna now that we can finally say we went into the Stargate and experienced the Vortex of the Anderson River.

Oh ya, but we did notice this in one of our ropes...it was the middle rope....oops!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Quote:
quote:
Important to protect the rope over any sharp rock especially with all that bouncy sawing action. Anyhow, nicely done. All that to get in to a rockwall cave. Looks like fun in a weirdo rappeller sort of way []
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:we did notice this in one of our ropes.
What brand of rope was it? (Beal?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 07:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Seriously active hiker/ mountaineer/ canyoneer

Nice pucker-bum core shot. If you're that jazzed about rapping and dark holes, Marduk, have I got a "sport" for you! You'll have to build up your supply of 8-9mm static, though...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Baker2008

Quote:
Pretty sure it was Petzl ropes that had that sheath "disintegration" problem if that's what you're getting at.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Pretty impressive shots of a great trip. I see where 'Hole in the Wall' gets it name.

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Finally...my vortex fix...may the fun continue..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Very cool trip. Crazy Rap.. WOW!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

The Morlocks chewed your rope! [:0] They must have run out of Eioli.

A thoroughly enjoyable read.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

haha,lol...ya, it was actually kinda a weird rappeller kindaa way...i need trips like that every so often..especially with your old high school climbing buddies...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Quote:
quote:
Important to protect the rope over any sharp rock especially with all that bouncy sawing action. Anyhow, nicely done. All that to get in to a rockwall cave. Looks like fun in a weirdo rappeller sort of way []
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

yup, i know the one your talking about...every year we include atleast one or two canyons down south to drop into...but people in water sandles annoy me for some reason...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Too Many Canyons

Nice pucker-bum core shot. If you're that jazzed about rapping and dark holes, Marduk, have I got a "sport" for you! You'll have to build up your supply of 8-9mm static, though...
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

yup, your right...petzl...usually pretty good, but Im thinking this huge ledge in the middle of the face was a little too sharp probably for any rope...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Baker2008

Quote:
Pretty sure it was Petzl ropes that had that sheath "disintegration" problem if that's what you're getting at.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thecamel

Finally...my vortex fix...may the fun continue..
yup, there ya go, your welcome.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 03:03 AM
High on the Mountain Top

This is a very neat trip. You should have left a time capsule in there for the people on the other side (or for the next person who sets out on such a random adventure.)
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

actually ya, that would have been cool to do...

I will go back in and put this trip report into a tube in the hole...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steventy

This is a very neat trip. You should have left a time capsule in there for the people on the other side (or for the next person who sets out on such a random adventure.)

here are the shots richard got from the bottom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ry4JzFR6Eo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page