Exploring the Elaho valley - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default Exploring the Elaho valley

blood, bushwhack, bruising, blood thirsty black flies and hundreds of skeeters in the Elaho valley. O dont forget about the endless cliff bands either.

Its official. I will never leave home without my bug jacket at this time of year again. No matter what!

Kat and I headed up the squamish valley early this morning to check out a route up to blanka from the first or second FSR on the right after the second bridge over the river to the left. as we left vancouver it was raining and not looking to good but we pushed on. Upon Entering squamish the rain was not in this area so we decided to see where we would end up.

started up a creek as far as we could and then headed to the left up a steep slope through new groth saplings bushwack.. We soon where confronted by some cliff bands that we then navigated. About this time the bugs started. Skeeters in the hundreds over each of our heads. Soon the back flies joined the party and by now we are wearing our shirts over our heads and our shell jackets trying to keep them out to no avail.

We got up past 1100 meters and could not see a thing as far as destination goes. By this point I could see that we should have started lower and used a bolder feild to gain the alpine but never being in the area before I wanted to use today as more of a scouting mission with the forlonrne hope of making to blanka peak.

The day was a bit curesed. Cat tripped over her toes and scraped both knees and palms at the gass station in squamish. I proceeded to bang my knee as hard as I could over the first rock I had to 4x4 over "hands and feet" and then used a sharp stump end to puncture my palm on the first creek crossing. All in all a great day over exploring O yea.. the skeeters where so bad Kat got over 40 bites. OMG!

Damn clouds.. no views.. Now that I have seen this area ill be headed back there is way to much good stuff up there with awesome road access.

O that looks easy

Slide carnage

O thank god where back

awww shit we should be on that side.

glad we got a great view of the Porterhouse group!D!A!M!N!!!

We where Left of track 3. A slight variation of 2 would be the best from this side. If I try this one again I may head up and try it from the North East or a variation of 2 side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Summit Master

Very nice - that's one valley I want to start exploring.

-Ryan

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Cat tripped over her toes and scraped both knees and palms at the gass station in squamish. I proceeded to bang my knee as hard as I could over the first rock I had to 4x4 over "hands and feet" and then used a sharp stump end to puncture my palm on the first creek crossing. All in all a great day over exploring O yea.. the skeeters where so bad Kat got over 40 bites. OMG!
Didn't I mention before I tripped over my boots that the trail will be cursed joking around? What a great duet of hikers we are!

And yes, I didn't expect there would be mosquitos or black flies. The 40 bites just made it more memorable hike (learned my lesson) and I hope the tea tree oil will heal it sooooon, please!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Looks like you arrived in time for the hatch.[B)]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

holly hell did we ever. The Bug netting is officialy out of the storage bag!!!

[/b]Warning to All:

[b]The Skeeters are out!!! come prepared.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I just found this pictures and adding it here. This is on the way back from Elaho Valley. Great canyon area for river rafting!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Nice ones Kat.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page