An evening with the Trees of Pierce Creek June 12 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing
Default An evening with the Trees of Pierce Creek June 12

It was originally going to be an overnighter but it turned out to be an evening instead. The trail has changed, or to be more precise, the forest around the trail has changed. Firstoff at the trailhead it looks as though someone had some fun doing target practice with beer bottles, so broken glass is all around the trailhead log so I took the road instead as I didnt want my doggie's feet to get cut up.
Next, there's a number of fresh clear-cut areas around the trail after the first road crossing. I knew they'd be logging in the area soon so I was a bit fearful as to how they'd treat the trail, but while there are now clearcuts on either side of the trail, they did try keeping a 40 metre buffer on either side, so the trail itself is intact except for a second road crossing further up. On the upside, you now get more views of the valley and mountains to the north.
I got a late start on this hike; starting at 4pm and electing to park my car beside the main road because maybe it would be safer leaving it there instead of the trailhead parking area.

My plan was to camp at one of the two places to pitch a tent where Pierce Creek crosses the trail. I figured the area at roughly 950m should be for the mostpart snowfree; at least the first place anyway. My pack seemed pretty heavy but that could also have had something to do with the fact that I was packing around 9lbs of camera gear. Sometimes I think I should take up a lighter weight hobby like playing harmonica.
The first campspot was indeed free of snow, so i decided to pitch there as I also figured it would be good for photo ops.

It was around 6pm now so I wanted to take advantage of some nice light before setting up camp any further.

The official beer of this trip:

As I got closer to Pierce Creek itself, snow suddenly appeared; probably close to 3 feet thick still in a number of places. The campsite beside the creek was still completely covered.

Back at camp and getting darker. I had a camp scene in mind that I wanted to do a shot of:

Dogs dont sit very still for 30 second exposures:

Incidentally the fire was a tuna can packed with cardboard and soaked in parafin wax. I use those for when I want fire or a fire effect without burning wood. Better for no-trace camping that way. The fire ring I made for the shot was taken apart and rocks chucked into the forest.

In the end I decided to pack up after this and hike back down in the dark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

Firstoff at the trailhead it looks as though someone had some fun doing target practice with beer bottles, so broken glass is all around the trailhead log so I took the road instead as I didnt want my doggie's feet to get cut up.
Next, there's a number of fresh clear-cut areas around the trail after the first road crossing. I knew they'd be logging in the area soon so I was a bit fearful as to how they'd treat the trail, but while there are now clearcuts on either side of the trail, they did try keeping a 40 metre buffer on either side, so the trail itself is intact

Doesn't that just p*ss one off.
My friend & I & his dog of cat-like demeanor [^] had to backpedal on an Arrowsmith Hike one year when his companion sliced his paw open on bottle glass not far off the trailhead
Had to get back to Port to look for a Vet on a Sunday morning.
After that , he had some custom leather booties made up for Jake.

Always thought that Canada & states lag behind other countries , If Nudism were an allowable activity & dedicated beaches and camps and trails endorsed , many areas would actually have a "standard" & be free of this barbaristic hazard . We like it Clean & Safe.

Secondly , you are lucky they left a buffer of trees ; here on Van Isl I know of a lot of unprotected trails that now are a shambles and horribly exposed after the loggers been through.
Mac-Bloe used to show consideration , now that they are history , the niche-filling-corporations ignore our trail & access needs.

btw , Nice report.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Yes I know many trails including some locally have not fared nearly as well when logging companies move in. It is a bit of a sad state of affairs when one should be happy that at least the trailbed and immediate area was spared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: climb

watched them log up there all winter,glad to hear they have at least left trail alone and in good shape...bob
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Love the camp scene photo!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:58 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Great shot!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Tim, loved your report and update on the trail.. Would like to get up there again some day.

K
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the trail update! I've been looknig at it driving by for months now, gloomily assuming the trail had been devestated by that logging. It's a releif to hear they did the same as on Vedder and spared the trail itself.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I think it has helped our trail system wkth the Ministry of Forests no longer being in charge of these kinds of trails that run through working forests. In this district there seems to be more communication between government and the various user groups. I think both Elk and Pierce trails have fared better because of this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyGoat

I think it has helped our trail system wkth the Ministry of Forests no longer being in charge of these kinds of trails that run through working forests. In this district there seems to be more communication between government and the various user groups. I think both Elk and Pierce trails have fared better because of this.
Amen, that is good news. Glad to know public pressure has emphasized the joy value of our trails.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page