Gravell Peak - Evil Peak Baggers Exposed! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Gravell Peak - Evil Peak Baggers Exposed!

Last Saturday 11 of us ignored the bad weather forecast and climbed Gravell Peak. This was a joint BCMC/NSH trip.

Gravell Peak is an obscure peak, about 12km east of Mt. Currie (Pemberton). Access is via the Green River FSR which branches off Airport road about 2km's east of the main intersection in Pemberton. Once across the Green River we headed due east for about 6 kilometers. Just after a bridge over Gravell Creek a good condition logging road branches to the right. We were able to drive to about elevation 600 meters in a 2WD (with a 4WD you can probably get to about 1000 meters) .

From the top of logging block we headed south west until we connected to the north west ridge of Gravel, which we followed to the summit.

The route is easy and the views of the northern Garabaldi Park, Mt. Currie and the Hibachi Range are impressive. There is lots of potential for further exploring here and some good skiing possibilities.

Stats:

- Mt Gravell elevation 2082m
- Elevation gain ~1700m.
- Distance ~ 16Km
- Total time 8.5 hours (easy going).

I have a GPS track if anyone is interested. Is there some way to post GPX files with a CT report without hosting them somewhere else?

A few pics:

heading up

approaching the summit

summit shot

left to right in the foreground Bastion NE1, Bastion, Bastion W1 and Kakila

Hibachi NE5

... now for the Evil Peak Baggers

This trip has been on the NSH and BCMC schedules for several months and I emailed out the planned route to some people who I though might be interested (including the 'Evil Peak Baggers').

Gravell Peak is a pretty obscure destination. Right? How many trips to Gravell Peak have you heard of in the last 5 years? None, I suspect. So .. when we reached the alpine we were somewhat surprised to find a set of recent (~ week old) snowshoe tracks leading up to the summit. Then it hit us. We had been 'Totally Zouked' ( see https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=39307 ) by Evil Peak Baggers.

Why had they done this? Was it just to piss us off? Had they run out of mountains to climb?
Did they get confused and climb the wrong mountain? Was Rambling Bull trying to out do SimonC in posting TR's? Did they think they could post some 'airy fairy' trip report and get away with it?

Shocked and dismayed, we spent most of the trip down discussing our options.
Should we completely ignore them?
Should we post something suggesting they didn't make the summit?
We even discussed egging their houses (emotions were running high).

Finally, it was decided that some form of public humiliation was in order. I was given the assignment. So, on behalf of Gravell Expedition 2011 team, I am herein posting their photos so they may suffer a public shaming.

Evil Peak Baggers
(notice the desperate look in their eyes)

Footnote:

I Googled ZOUK and couldn't figure out what it was all about. I came to the conclusion that it was some form of devil worshiping music?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 03:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Not sure why longshadow has not added this feature.

But you are welcome to put it on the northshorehikers forum as it allows you to upload a gps track.

C

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by craigS

I have a GPS track if anyone is interested. Is there some way to post GPX files with a CT report without hosting them somewhere else?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Off the Beaten Path

[}][:0][:I][:0][:I][:I]

The explanation is quite simple, really.

There's an interesting trip to a new destination posted on club schedules. You're really looking forward to it, check the approach and other beta, get all excited. Then just one week before the trip you realise you won't be able to make it. What do you do? Forget about it and go somewhere else, then perhaps visit the mountain after the official trip has taken place, with all the details and views already posted on the forum by a super-efficient reporter like Ryan? That's one option; another would be to go there on your own without revealing the destination; post a report but strip it off the details, not to spoil the fun for the official participants who may perhaps want to explore it all themselves. Posting a detailed TR on a peak that's been on the schedules for a while, one week before the official trip date, wouldn't be very cool, would it? [8)]

So that's how it went, no malevolence involved at all. The Total Zouk TR was meant to draw attention to other things, such as gray and subdued moods of a rainy day, b&w photography, Zouk as a music genre, radioactive fallout, the 80s Manchester music scene, summit yoga, etc. If someone wanted to treat it as a puzzle, that's fine, too -- Steventy could figure it out, and so could the others, especially those equipped with Google Earth -- but that wasn't the main focus of the TR.

As I expected, you guys had no problems at all finding the route and reaching the summit, which is great. I'm happy to see you had lots of fun and more views than we did. The road access seems to have improved over the week, too -- looks like most of the rock slide has been cleared, and the fallen tree is now driveable underneath it.

Now a few extras, hope you'll enjoy them:
Zouk sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ZLLv4O8yM
Big mouth strikes again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sr-d0hv3rM
Hibachi NE5:

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Quote:
quote:I googled Zouk and couldn't figure out what it was about. I came to the conclusion that it was some form of devil worshiping music?

It's KUOZ spelled backwards. Definitely Satanic.[)]

Nice report(s) -the both of them!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Entertaining trip report filled with drama and intrigue. An (for me) obscure area that will have me looking at my maps and wishing for good weather yet again. One of the very best things about Club Tread!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Rambling Bull

Nice photos of Hibachi NE5.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RamblingBull

The explanation is quite simple, really...

... The road access seems to have improved over the week, too -- looks like most of the rock slide has been cleared, and the fallen tree is now driveable underneath it.
I checked our GPS track I think it was closer to 500m where we started.

On the way down, Randy got back ahead of us and then drove up to almost 900m where he hit snow.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Summit Master

Mind e-mailing me the GPS track? Thx!

-Ryan
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I always follow your, Ryan,Marek, Cam and Jeff's TRs on CT and enjoyed reading them and considering to try those routes on my own. Thanks for sharing those new routes...

I guess this is one of main reasons that why BCMC/ACC/NHS are the great clubs here, because they have great members....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Headed for the Mountains

here are total ZOUK gang on summit

And here is the GPS track, 4 of us actually went to the east side gully on the way down at 1400meter, comparing with steep ascending route this one is much easier and gentle:
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking is a private thing.

Quote:

The explanation is quite simple, really.

Same concept would apply to Silvertip, eh? [)]I let you off the hook last time because the cairn you made gives you a credit.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Seeing Gravel Pk on the club schedules was so astonishing. Where was it? And then looking on the map and seeing a gradual (and perhaps completely avalanche safe route regardless of conditions) up a new mountain in an area it seems like no one had ever thought of. Holy toledo!

Great trip destination and great report on it.

post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jeffhan

here are total ZOUK gang on summit
This looks more like Riverdance to me... [}]
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KISBOO
Same concept would apply to Silvertip, eh? [)]I let you off the hook last time because the cairn you made gives you a credit.
Gosh, seems like that cairn on Silvertip saved my life more than yours... []
post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Ha, fun report, nice trip, y'all!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking is a private thing.

Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KISBOO
Gosh, seems like that cairn on Silvertip saved my life more than yours... []
ha, don't know you have a story to tell behind...[^]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page