Up Cathedral's Backside - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Up Cathedral's Backside

Sorry no description will be provided of how I got there, the pictures are incriminating enough.

Had to bail about 200 feet from the summit. There were some big slabs coming off the bottom of the cliff face above me, it got totally fogged in and I couldn't see anything, and I have started at 11:20 so time was not on my side. I decided to get the hell out of there and follow my footsteps back. Although in a week or two a loop would totally be possible coming back over Burwell and Coliseum. Actually there are many ways to access Cathedral from the Forbidden Forest of the East.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Nice to see a pair of bears (I assume that's a pair)!

I hope you didn't pee in my drinking water.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

I thought you'd take a good run at it and considering the route you chose you did pretty well. Running all the way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mick range

I thought you'd take a good run at it and considering the route you chose you did pretty well. Running all the way?
Actually, I chose an even longer but beautiful route. I followed a ridge all the way around Cathedral Creek, so I came from East of Cathedral. Once I started climbing up the ridge it was bushwhacking and I wasn't feeling too strong on the climbs. I got these Hillsound Trail crampons that I really put through their paces and I have to say they are really great, especially for $60. I'll try to figure out how to get the tracks off my cell phone GPS.

No Steventy, I didn't pee in your drinking water. I was a bit suprised to see a Porta Potty not 20 feet from it, and a motor boat in it though!

It was a pair of bears, sorry for the terrible pictures they did not want to be photographed so I kept moving around trying to get a decent angle without invading their space. Everytime I got one they moved. I didn't notice the fuzziness until after, must have had moisture on the lens.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Summit Master

Sweet trip.

-Ryan
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

So you made it to the col between that rock horn that is the end of the east ridge and the summit block, by my reckoning? That was a heckuva workout, I'm sure. I was just wondering if you used a bike for the trip in
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:

So you made it to the col between that rock horn that is the end of the east ridge and the summit block, by my reckoning? That was a heckuva workout, I'm sure. I was just wondering if you used a bike for the trip in
I left the bike at the dam and ran from there. I had to go above the guard station, the evil Protector's of the Forbidden Forest were at their post (see white Metro Vancouver truck from hillside).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Summit Master

IMO, you chose the most time efficient approach. As a matter of fact the first ascent of the peak and most subsequent attempts until the 1950s usually came via the same route before it was designated restricted territory. I've always thought that a well maintained access trail to Cathedral via this approach could be a jewel of North Shore hikes but that isn't likely to happen.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:

IMO, you chose the most time efficient approach. As a matter of fact the first ascent of the peak and most subsequent attempts until the 1950s usually came via the same route before it was designated restricted territory. I've always thought that a well maintained access trail to Cathedral via this approach could be a jewel of North Shore hikes but that isn't likely to happen.
I saw numerous signs of a faint trail wherever there was no snow going up the side of the creek.

I know it isn't likely to happen, but your right. It was a really nice ridge and a shame they keep us locked out.

Really it is stupid, because even for the one in a hundred dipshit hikers who would pinch one off and leave it there, we would help to discover dead animals in the creeks etc...
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Beautiful trip, and good for you getting it done in fine fashion. Beautiful photos, and do tell a good story.

K
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Awesome, Ryan!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 04:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ryan Conroy
It was a really nice ridge and a shame they keep us locked out.
I spoke with Will Koop about that and he's of the opinion that the access ban should continue because it creates a defacto wildlife haven. I guess if the waffle-stompers were allowed in then the hunters, heli-everythings and moto-zombies would all cry discrimination.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stoked

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ryan Conroy
It was a really nice ridge and a shame they keep us locked out.
I spoke with Will Koop about that and he's of the opinion that the access ban should continue because it creates a defacto wildlife haven. I guess if the waffle-stompers were allowed in then the hunters, heli-everythings and moto-zombies would all cry discrimination.
I did see a good size female deer as well as the pair of bears.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Great trip!!

Matching up the photos with Google Earth and your earlier photos on the approach, it looks like the true summit is actually slightly further, hidden just out of view up the snowy gully on the right in this shot:

Quote:
quote:
There's nothing like armchair hiking in the evenings on Google Earth - combined with your photos, it's like I was almost there! [8D]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page