Elk Mountain - First time - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Elk Mountain - First time

This is my first TR and also the first time I went up Elk. It was actually the first time I did a real hike in snow. So prepare yourselves to read some pretty stupid choices I made.
I was about to call this TR a 'failed attempt up Elk Mountain', but given the conditions and my little/no experience in hiking in snow, I'm acutally very proud of myself.

Some of you know that I have just bought my own new pair of snowshoes. I was eager to try them on. I've been snowshoeing a few times on Grousse, Cypress and Seymour (on the very nice, wide, packed trails) and inspired by the many TR's posted here I decided I should try Elk mountain, and try my snowshoes on the trail. BAD CHOICE![V]. You see, the trail didn't really have enough snow that would call for snowshoes, but I was wearing my summer hiking boots and of course, it didn't have a good grip on the icy, packed, thin layer of snow. Right at the begining of the trail I was slipping a lot, so decided to get the snowshoes on.
Going up was pretty good. My Friend and I (also, her first time hiking in snow and second time using snowshoes! - the poor thing thought I knew what I was doing and decided to rent a pair and do as I did!). but then, we reached the most steep part of the trail (I think []) , and things got kind of complicated. (picture borrowed from one of Flowing-Brook TR's, hope it's ok)
You probably know this already, and I found out that snowshoes on this part are not really a good option. It was way to narrow and steep and we were slipping and sliding back down at each step. A few more slips and falls later we got a bit too scared (I actually slid down the edge a couple of times) and decided to start our way back.

We ran into some very nice guys on the way down and they did say that snowshoes were not a good option there. I can just imagine them coming down after us and seeing our traces and thinking: "who are these silly people?"!

Anyway, even though we didn't reach the summit we had a lot of fun and some good adrenaline rush. It was a good lesson learned!
I have questions for you, much experienced hikers now:
- were we still too far from the summit where we turned around?
- Was it really a bad choice to have the snowshoes on?
- would crampons help on my boots?

The photos are not great, since my camera is too old, but I'll post some anyway...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Crampons would probably be overkill unless the snow was deep enough.

Yak trax or something like them are probably better. That said, I don't own anything like them as I'm too cheap to buy both. I just carry crampons if I think there will be ice.

Depends on your boots though. You can get some universal strap on crampons that will work on pretty much anything....even...as I've witnessed on this website.....trailrunners.

Good first TR. Without failure there can be no success.

And on a side note, I was up Thurston a few weeks ago and there was a thin layer of ice covering the top 1/4 of the trail. It was pretty deadly. I used crampons to get up it, but they were overkill. I just left my snowshoes on on the way down and they worked okay for a bit of added traction. You'll figure things out as you go, just keep it safe until you do.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Can't comment on the particular conditions the Elk trail was in, but its certainly steep enough to be dangerous in the wrong conditions. There have been many accidents and even fatalities of snowshoers on hard, icy snow in steep terrain.

Good post here http://blog.oplopanax.ca/2010/10/how...owshoeing.html

Just ask yourself if its steep enough that you may not be able to stop sliding when you fall? It doesn't take much of an angle. Clothing (especially synthetic stuff) also slides well on hard+icy surfaces.

There are down-sized versions of crampons that may help http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302691671
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Take this down as a valuable learning experience. And thanks for sharing your experiences, both good and bad. Like your shots.

K
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the tips guys. That is a very good article.
It started snowing once we reached the first area where we leave the forest for a bit (at the beginning) and it didn't stop all day, so when we reached that steep slope the snow was enough to cover our whole feet. I do believe though taht the biggest problem was our inexperience!
I'm sure glad we made back ok, except for freezing butts!

Those crampons look like they would have worked there! Wish I had them!

Are there any other trails, safer, that any of you would suggest for "training"?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Great first TR and good call on turning around when it got dangerous.

We did Elk for the first time last week and I imagine conditions have changed a lot since then.
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=38600

It's hard to give advice without seeing the trail today but based on this:
"It was way to narrow and steep and we were slipping and sliding back down at each step."
it sounds like crampons would have been helpful. Do you think you would have postholed if you took off your snowshoes?
As a side note, if you are in a location where you need crampons, you may also need an ice axe.

When we did it last week I used Yaktraxs and my partner used snowshoes.

The 6-point crampons mentioned above can sometimes be used in marginal conditions (especially if it is soft enough to kick in proper toe holds) and they are cheaper than full crampons.
http://j.mp/hL67Dc

Elfin Lakes is a good next trail if you are looking to expand beyond the North Shore mountains.

Cheers,
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Hi Steventy,
That TR of yours was the one that inspired me to try Elk! It seems like the conditions were not that different.lol
As I said before, the biggest problem was us!lol I'm also thinking now that my snowshoes are probably not he best ones for that type of terrain...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Another option for 'training' is to go on a few organized trips with clubs like BCMC or Alpine club. I believe they allow guests on some of their trips (and membership fees are not that high either).

Being in a bigger group will take away from the 'being an explorer' feeling, but its a good way to gain experience for future exploring.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

I use instep crampons for this part of the trail and my husband uses full crampons. It's not easy to navigate in insteps so the least I would recommend for this trail is micro spikes. Don't waste your money on Yak Tracks.

My first snowshoe experience was on this trail and I had the same problem in the same place.

Note that an easier way to use someone else's picture on CT is to open the picture, copy the full [ctImg] code then paste it in your report.

Happy trails,
Lynn
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

If the snow is fresh and deep the route is steep and your snowshoe's crampons aren't helping, pack them and post hole. Of course if the snow is fresh powder over ice... Well i think you grt the picture.

You were just below the lookout and a couple hundred feet elevation from " summit". Elk starts the rolling ridge all the way to Thurston and a nice ridgewalk, you should try again someday but note the trail often remains icy at its steepest sections throughout shoulder season.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks you all for the tips and teaching! I'm definitely trying Elk again, and will try Elf Lakes once I have more time; but with better equipment and in a bigger group. I'll check out those you suggested ClauS, thanks!

Sorry about your picture Lynn, I'll do it the proper way next time!

Cheers,
Miriam

post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Creation vs Evolution

If the slope is steep and hard snow or hard snow and icy I would not recommend microspikes as they will not bite enough on an angled slope. So they may or may not be ok on that terrain.

Strap ons for $100 bucks like these Grivels might be a better choice here or there are the Kahtoolas at MEC also but a bit overpriced at $150 (they don't have the front points)

Grivels
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302691671
Kahtoolas
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302691671

Regards
Allan
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtnview

If the slope is steep and hard snow or hard snow and icy I would not recommend microspikes as they will not bite enough on an angled slope. So they may or may not be ok on that terrain.
I tested my new MEC microspikes going up and downhill a ~30 degree slope covered with crusty snow (west side of Grouse Mtn.) and they gripped perfectly, likewise on an icy trail path (BCMC trail). I expect they may not work so well on a layer of softer snow, though, which could plug them up and cause them to slide.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by myanovo

Sorry about your picture Lynn, I'll do it the proper way next time!

Cheers,
Miriam
No need to be sorry Miriam, you gave credit for the picture that you used. I love this trail and think I'll go up there tomorrow...wanna come?
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I'd love to join you tomorrow Lynn, unfortunately I have to work
But let me know if you think about going on a weekend and I'll join you for sure!
Thanks!
Miriam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page