Wedgemount Lake - Dec. 5/10 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Wedgemount Lake - Dec. 5/10

Haven't been past Squamish since my sking days in the late 80's...so much has changed. With Katie not being able to handle the current snow depths up in the hills, I decided to take advantage and venture into a park where dogs aren't allowed. I've always enjoyed seeing others pics of the Wedgemount Lake area, and decided to give it a go.

Me telling Katie on Saturday that she can't come on the hike up to Wedgemount Lake. ; )

At this time of year, this report is probably already out of date, but here you go anyway. : )

From Surrey, 2 1/2 hours and about 170 km. Highway was clear all the way.
A high clearance 4x4 could perhaps make it up to the parking area and trailhead, but everyone is parking down below. About a half hour hike to the trailhead from here.

Others had gone up the day before and camped, so the majority of the route up was broken for me. They had gone off the marked route for a stretch, but I stayed with the markers and had to break my own trail for about an hour...that was tough. Snowshoes were on the entire hike and the snow never went above the knees. Lots of 15 - 30 second breaks and I kept thinking I wasn't going to make it at that pace, but I did...10 minutes after my set turn-around time. Four hours (and ten minutes) up. : )

From the hut, Wedgemount Lake below, and I believe that is Parkhurst Mt. center right.

Looking up at the Armchair Glacier, with Mt. Weart in behind, hidden by the clouds.

Thought about dropping down to the lake, but I was beat and decided to head back. So much to explore up here...will have to come back in the summer. : )

Looking west on the way down.

Coming down was quick in the soft snow and I was down in no time. I think the longest I have ever been in my snowshoes was 2 hours, so I was moving a little slow at work today. : )

Enjoy : )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Summit Master

Never been up there in winter myself, so nice to see what it looks like. I take it there were no avy problems on that final steep slope to the lake?

-Ryan
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 06:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ryan.in.yaletown

Never been up there in winter myself, so nice to see what it looks like. I take it there were no avy problems on that final steep slope to the lake?

-Ryan
I think that depends on your definition of "avy problem". Did anybody get avalanched? No. Did John cross the track of a large avalanche path and a smaller start zone alone? Maybe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Katie looks bored at your choice LOL....Great place,and I'll ask the same thing I always do,how did the falls about 1/2 way up look??
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: trail running, hiking, kyaking, skiing, snowshoeing

that is so nice to see that area at this time of year, i really want to go there my self!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

In some ways, this route would be easier in snow. If the snow was solid that is. We were very surprised to see the steep trail/route up the final push to the lake this summer. Way to go team!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Well done, John. Good you got up there and then share with us the pics to show what it is like with the new snow.

K
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 08:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top

nice, I dreamed to do it during snow season many times Thanks for sharing.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Hey, thanks everyone. : )

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by no quitting

Katie looks bored at your choice LOL....Great place,and I'll ask the same thing I always do,how did the falls about 1/2 way up look??
I didn't see or hear any falls along the way, so I either went the wrong way, or they were frozen solid and I missed them. : )
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

I'm sure you didn't go the wrong way
The falls are not on the trail,but across a ravine about halfway up,you need to look for them I guess. They are awesome in the spring runoff. Not sure what the flow rate would be like at this time of year,but it was cool to see your pictures of the top,thanks for that,as many have said

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page