Long Island, Harrison Lake - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Long Island, Harrison Lake

Long Island is located about 10 miles north of the Village of Harrison Hot Springs and is accessible only by boat. Long Island Bay provides the best access point to the Island and there are two docks located at the Forest Recreation Site at the end of the bay.

As it turned out, Saturday of the Labour Day weekend was reasonably nice following a vicious wind storm the night before. It had been quite a long time since I'd hiked any of the trails on this side of the Island, so I thru a few things in my day pack and off I went. There are several access points to the trails from Long Island Bay and I decided to take the one that leads to the top of the bluffs above the bay. My hope was to get a few good photos of my boat at the docks.
The trails from the bay get a lot of use by people coming up for the day or the weekend and they are all in relatively good shape. The trail leading to the viewpoint is cut into the hillside and requires careful footing as the rock can be a litle loose.

The trail continues on past the bluffs and actually descends slightly as it drops into a gully about a 1/4km further north. It was about here that I noticed the area had been flagged and marked for timber cut blocks and the more I saw the more angrier I was becoming. How could this be allowed to happen I wondered? It has taken more than sixty years for this area to return to a natural state after if was logged back in the 50's.

The trail came to a junction and I decided to follow it further north and down to a small cove the locals refer to as Mike's Cove. It was named after a fellow who came out from Ontario in the 90's in search of the legendary Sasquatch! He camped at this small cove for most of one year and gradually became paranoid that the big hairy beast was out to get him. He rigged his campsite with trip wires and bright lights connected to a battery bank. As fate would have it, one night something tripped the alarm and all "H" broke lose. He panicked and sprayed himself with bear spray as he was running out of the tent. No sasquatch was seen, but he was convinced one had been there.

I have to tell you, that one evening back around that same year, we were just finishing dinner at the recreation site when we heard the most awful sound coming from the bush just beyond the old outhouse. It was unlike any animal I have ever heard and even the three dogs we had headed for the boats. Nobody had enough nerve to go and take a closer look!

Getting back on the trial, I ended up chatting with a large group of people camping in tents at Mike's Cove. It was there first time on the Island and they were interested in the trails and wondering about bears and cougars on the Island. I had hiked on the other side of the island the previous weekend and didn't see any signs of bear, but I did see fresh cougar scat. Plenty of deer on the island so any cougar should be quite content.
From there I followed a less used trail going further north yet and discovered the most gorgeous little water fall that sparkled like a jewel in the streaming sunlight.

As I had diverted off the trail slightly to view the waterfall from the top, I decided to hike further up the hillside and connected with a trail I hadn't seen before. I was pretty sure this trail would lead me to a small lake located higher up on the island. Wasn't long before I was at the lake. It was time for a little break so I sat on a couple of logs by the lakeshore and enjoyed the quiet peaceful beauty while I thought about what I could do to prevent this treasure from being ruined by logging.

Wasn't long before a couple more hikers came up the trail, so I decided to head back to the bay. All in all it was about a 3 hour excursion and well worth the time.
Mike MacDonald likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:48 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Was the sound half human -half beast?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the report! I grew up in Harrison, and as a boy of course I would always look towards the islands from the shore and wondered what it would be like to explore them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Headed for the Mountains

yeah, according to local Sto:lo oral history, that area is prime sasquatch territory :O
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Yeah, I actually seen him the other day at the corner store across from the hot pool...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

I also wondered what would be like on the island. Thanks for sharing this neat report of your exercusion there, so cool a lake on an island within a lake...

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Is that the forest recreation site on the west side of the island kind of situated in a lagoon kind of area shown in the backroad explorer mapbook. I'm planning a canoe trip across from Twenty Mile Bay some day and am wondering about that camp area and the forest rec. site at the southern tip of the island too.

Any trail from the southern site by any chance for a little exploration while camping there?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 06:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

sweet looking bay and really great write up.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Scaling New Heights

I camped in Mikes bay several times last summer, thanks for the heads up on the cougar. Met the guy who had the sasquatch encounter there in 1995 at John Greens house in 2007, Gabe was his name. I took him back to mikes bay on long island in 2008 as I was curious. He insisted we leave a lantern on all night. Nothing happened, but I believe his story, as did that fellow Mike.

Its a beautiful place, thanks for the tr.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

I absolutely love that area, it is very nice, thanks for sharing. I took a boat tour out to that area before, and we walked to the falls from the beach, it sure was beautiful.

post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Beautiful Photos..It looks like a truly amazing view,0f the bay and back towards Harrison.Nice lake for fly fishin?Good thing you can only access it with a boat..maybe it will stay beautiful for many years..thanks for sharing.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Summit Master

looked down on that Island many times from the Slollicum bowl, That is where the beast is living now..
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: hunting/outdoors stuff

I've heard a cougar bawling in heat there before, maybe that's what you heard. Never seen a bear or scat.

BTW if you live in a wood house, you probably shouldn't be so negative about logging. The forest in that area is beautiful but not unique and logging is as useful as forest fires.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Beer before hiking.

I use to fish one of the lakes on Long island in the 1980s. We paddled over from 20 mile bay (before the place turned into a zoo). Woke up one night at the lake to the same thing, some couger screaming like a banshee in the middle of the night. Actually heard the same thing about 2 months ago fishing up by Canim lake.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Headed for the Mountains

^ Screaming cougar - awesome.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page