Yak peak, August 15, 2010 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: fiddling, hiking, scrambling, dancing, photography, Tai Chi, running
Default Yak peak, August 15, 2010

Couple of reports here on the "tread" in July but nothing from August so I won't post too many shots as many would be what you can see in these two threads:

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=36226

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=36229

Couple of things to note: The snowfield is almost competely melted. We didn't need to step in any snow to get to the Yak peak and subpeak "col". The scramble is as easy as it gets, with no exposure, just one or two "veggie belays" for balance and the views were just awesome. Way better than anything else I've done in the area with maybe the exception of Alpaca.

I went up with a Wanderung group of 5. It was hot, and we had a beginner scramblers so we took our time to make sure everyone got up top. Here's some of my photos from the trip.

I highly recommend this hike/scramble on a clear day. The views are just fantastic. We hung around on top for at least an hour just resting and taking it easy. And the breeze was just great, making a hot day quite bearable. It was much nicer on Yak than it was in the Fraser Valley once we got past Hope. Speaking of which, the pies at the Home Restaurant are still worth stopping there for, which we did

Another good day with great hiking folks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Nice, I was supposed to be up there that day too but my plans fell through Do you happen to have any pics of the ridge to Nak and beyond I would like to see what I am going to be getting myself into hopefully next weekend.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MikeW

Nice, I was supposed to be up there that day too but my plans fell through Do you happen to have any pics of the ridge to Nak and beyond I would like to see what I am going to be getting myself into hopefully next weekend.

My shot from July looking north....

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: and Interests: Hiking, cycling, down-hill skiing, generally just being in the great outdoors, also enjoy X-country skiing, canoeing or kayaking, gardening, dancing & travelling

A great hike to work out the kinks in this old body. A wonderful day on my first Wanderung hike and first peak in that area --- the reward at the top is definitely worth the effort, although people sitting on the very edge was somewhat nerve-racking.

3/4 of the way down we ran into guy going up Yak --- he had already hiked up Needle and back down --- now that's sheer will power, especially in that heat. He must have been bionic as he was down again shortly after some of our group.

Hats off to the leader and the drivers --- looking forward to hiking with everyone again sometime very soon.

ps. I'll look through my photos, but doubt I have anything different to post.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 02:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Well done, Rich.[^]

Views from the top are simply fantastic. It's a puzzle to me why Matt Gunn gave the peak only one star.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Nice peak,i would like to do it soon
thaks for the report

Alex
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: fiddling, hiking, scrambling, dancing, photography, Tai Chi, running

Mike, I'll post something in a day or two re your request but Karl's is fine. Just subtract out the snow

Nortonchum, I think the reason Matt gave it only one star is the actual scramble is not much of a scramble and for higher ratings, he'd have had to enjoy the scramble as well as the final views at top. After all, his book is named "Scrambles", not "Views".

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page