Locomotive- Faceless- Face loop - Aug 13-15 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Locomotive- Faceless- Face loop - Aug 13-15

This is such a beautiful area, a longish drive from Vancouver, but the short approach from the road to the lakes makes up for it- i will be back.

I drove up after work on Friday and arrived at the trailhead around 9:30- too late to hike in- shoot. Slept in the back of the truck and left for the lakes in the morning.

A quick 1 hour jaunt and i arrived at the lakes- sublime views. Bugs were terrible.

After finding a decent camp i struck out for Locomotive at around 9:45am- my intention for the day was to take it easy and break in my new boots- i figured i may head over to Tender if all was good up Locomotive.

The route up was fairly straight forward- cairns all over the place, some moderate scrambling and fun bits- was on the summit at 12:10.

After doing battle with the horseflies for a bit(a recurring theme of the trip) i assessed the situation- i had made good time to Locomotive, the feet felt good and Tender looked real close- so i snapped some pics and made my way down towards the col.

Another 40 mins and i was standing on the summit of Tender- at least i think it was.. not much of a summit- looked over and saw Caboose was real close and the ridge looked fun- so off i went, a few tricky steps and exposure but all could be bypassed by dropping to the left a little.

Aprox 30 mins later and i was on Caboose looking back at Tender and Locomotive- great views down the Train Glacier to the Lakes as well as Faceless which now looked very, very doable..

It was about 1:30 at that point so i went for it- still thinking that i would come back the same way- that was until i reached the summit of Faceless and looked over at Face and thought- well why not?

2:30 - ate some lunch, battled some more and then headed off for Face- a steep rocky drop to the col- bypass a prominent bump and drop down a tricky section before the final ascent of Face- lots of old bivi spots and broken flagging boards along this part. The route up Face was straight forward, many options for different lines- some loose scree, some fun scrambling.

4:00 - sitting on the Summit of Face thinking- well, now i've just gotta get down. This is where i hit a bit of a wall and my pace slowed..

i managed to find the ramp(i think) that is described in Matt Gunn's book, unfortunately it was snow filled- i had been anticipating this as i saw it from Locomotive earlier. it was steep! crampons on, ice axe out, helmet on- slowly made my way down and out.

The rest of the descent was fairly uneventful, i ended up dropping off the ridge route too early and walked the steep moraine/scree slopes down- it was painfully slow going and i wished i had brought my poles.

I eventually made it to the tent at around 7pm after a few creek crossings- ate some dinner and collapsed in my tent- so much for my 'easy' day.

Hiked out the next morning- met a group of three and saw a few other tents/groups on the way out- including some ladies skinny dipping in one of the lakes

Total distance: 18km
elevation gain: 1700m

flickr set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/special...7624738361686/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 03:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Nice shots. Good loop.
Really bad bugs eh? Maybe I'll wait till September...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Off the Beaten Path

NICE! burnabyhiker when you plan to go drop me a line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:56 PM
High on the Mountain Top

nice rob! thats a hell of a way to break in new boots. sounds like your snowboard could have come in handy on the way down face, as you are now an extreme skier by my accounts.

We went to Baker and enjoyed a cool breeze off the glacier and the wildflowers in full bloom.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Nice!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Nice area!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking is a private thing.

Really nice one!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

love this area. Great photos
I had the same situation last year, from one peak to another. Party wasn't happy when I left them and waited for me all day.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Off the Beaten Path

That's the way to do it! [8D]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Well done getting those series of peaks. Great photos too.

K
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

thanks for the comments- it was an awesome trip, highly recommended!

i forgot to add a photo of this, not sure if you can see it well- it was like a perfectly round hole in the middle of the glacier, looked like one of those meteors had landed

post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

The last shot in your TR is really good. I enjoyed your writing style and can certainly understand the urge to keep going from peak to peak.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Summit Master

Good T/R and sounds like you were well prepared for the conditions and changing terrain.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 07:25 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Yes, great loop - spontaneously motivated

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page