Mt. Septimus/9-Peaks July 1 - 7 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Mt. Septimus/9-Peaks July 1 - 7

Thursday, July 1, we left the truck at the Bedwell Lake trailhead at noon. The weather was overcast. We encountered patches of snow about 10 minutes before Baby Bedwell Lake. The tent pads are snow free at Baby Bedwell and Bedwell Lakes. Snow becomes continuous at Bedwell Lake.The weather continued to deteriorate as we headed for Cream Lake. By Little Jim Lake, visibility was down to about 50 feet. Made our way to Cream Lake in very slurpy snow conditions. Depth of snow at Cream Lake was 2-3 meters at the big rock. We could walk across the lake.
Friday, we awoke to blue skies, so we headed for the X-gully to have a go at Mt. Septimus. Snow conditions were soft and not in our favour, but we made it up to the notch, descended the other side, crossed the glacier, and gained the ridge. Snow conditions worsened considerably up here, so we turned back for an early lunch at the top of the X-gully. As we were making our way back down the gully, we could see our friends coming down the ridge from Little Jim Lake.
Day 3 found us heading up the West gully to do a bit of climbing on the West Buttress with our friends

Day 4-Our friends were leaving for civilization, and we were heading for Big Interior Mountain on our way to 9-Peaks. As we approached Little Jim Lake, the weather rolled in and visibility dropped to about 25 feet. We encountered people from the Alpine Club at this point who had come from Big Interior and 9-Peaks, so we were able to follow their tracks (Thanks Guys).
We slogged over to Big Interior, up the glacier to the summit, and down the other side till we found a flat spot below the ridge to camp. We still couldn't see anything.
Day 5 dawned bright and COLD. The snow froze up overnight, so we donned our crampons and headed for 9-peaks. 2.5 hours later we were looking down from the summit.
We then headed back to camp, packed up, summitted Big Interior AGAIN, saw Bedwell Lake below us, and off in the distance, and decided to make for it. We put in a long day, but the snow free tent pad was like a 5-star hotel.

Day 6 we scouted out the trail to Tom Taylor around Bedwell Lake, but had already decided to put this one on hold for now as we could see plenty of large cornices, recent avi activity, and heard a couple of ice falls.
Day 7 we headed for home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 05:33 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Ask me next week, British Columbia, sometimes., Canada.
Interest: Hiking, soccer, hockey, running, photography, dogs, camping, environmental protection.

Nice trip, you have some good pictures there. I've never heard anyone describe snow as 'slurpy'... made me laugh.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

mmmmm SLURPY SHNOW...CREAM LAKE AHHHHH....

Way cool! what an amazing trek. My favorite is the one where there are two of you tucked away in the crag with the snowfield below. My hiking is somewhat suspended. Truck bit the dust.
Now I have no way into the back country down here. D'oh!
It's 106 right now. Just came back from a short walk about and my sneakers were burning my feet. Your slurpy lake looks delicious!! Blue, icy water. that sure is some beautiful country, up there! wow!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Headed for the Mountains

What an amazing trip and some stunning photos. Looks and sounds like it was a bit tough going at points, fair play for staying out for the week!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Some pretty spots there, quite a steep slope with one of you making his way across there.

K
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Nice work... I was set to bag both Septi and Nine Peaks last summer but plans were foiled by heavy rain and lightning.

How was the bergshrund on Nine Peaks? Still under snow?

Corey
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Off the Beaten Path

NIce report,seems to be a nice mountain to hike

Alex
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

No bergshrunds and no moats... still a ton of seasonal snow.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:53 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!

Holy sheitt..that makes me shiver..[:0]

Nice pics..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Nice Picture for sure....That looks fun !! Any big cornices above?
Cool place. Excellent pics.

Kelly
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default cream lake to Mt.Septmimus

Hi!

I was wondering about your W aspect approach up Mt.Septimus, did you need any technical climbing gear to summit the mountain? I've read some blogs saying that some trad climbing was necessary and some saying all they needed were axes. I would prefer a route without any trad climbing, do you think it would be possible to do Cream lake up Mt.Septimus without?

Thanks!!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

First time I've been on this site for a while. The W approach above Love Lake is rated low 5th. We didn't rope up for the summit except to do one rappel along the ridge between Rosseau and Septimus. Then we did a couple of raps down.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page