monashee Lake - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hikingbackpackingcrosscountry skiingsnowshoeing
Default monashee Lake

A pure sun day...off to the mountains we go! We decide to try the Monashees though we are unsure of the snowpack so we bring it all...ice axe, snowshoes, ice grippers, and of course, sunscreen!

Gorgeous drive out to the trailhead... the Okanagan's version of "coastal forests". Monashee Lake is in a hanging valley so the hike starts out with a gentle climb through meadows, forests and alder slidepaths.

A climb up a creek gully ( easy now with snow instead of boulders) and then the headwall! The snow gets progressively deeper, the terrain steeper, and the sun hotter. We continue to climb but decide to make our destination the top of a rock gully with awesome views as the traverse across to the lake looks steep and is definitely snowcovered! We watch a couple of snow and rock slides on opposite rockwalls and the decision is clinched...this is lunch!

The way back is sure faster...lots of fun with softer snow to "ski" down! We see a porcupine, a black bear, many deer and one with a tiny fawn! All in all, a great day in the mountains!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Sure is pretty in the Monashees,great wildlife day for you!! A baby fawn awwww!! And a porcupine too!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I'm anxiously awaiting the snow's departure from the Monashee alpine...still a lot of snow above 1600 metres.

Glad you enjoyed your outing, thanks for posting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Hittin' the Trails

What a great trip, I was wondering about hiking and snow conditions in the Monashees. I've been wanting to take my 11 year old up to Twin Lakes, now I know I can do it the next perfect day.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Where exactly is Monashee lake? Google maps surely can't pinpoint where it is. Suggestions?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Several TR's on the Monashees show a beautiful area. Nice pictures. I will be checking this area out.

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Continue on Hwy 6 past Cherryville to South Fork FSR and you'll end up on the trail to tiny Monashee Lake. The entire area is beautiful.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by turquoise128

Where exactly is Monashee lake? Google maps surely can't pinpoint where it is. Suggestions?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page