Mounts Coliseum, Burwell and Cathedral - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Mounts Coliseum, Burwell and Cathedral

This was one of the most tiring hikes I've ever done. Total running time was 12 hours and 40 minutes.Anyways...
I got up Coliseum from the Seymour Valley side, starting biking 20 minutes before 7:00 am.
After a really tiring ascent, I get on top of Coliseum.
North. Sky Pilot between Mount Burwell and Cathedral mountain
South. The needles and the city.
Next, I climb Mount Burwell, getting on top a few minutes before 10. It would be a crime not to give Cathedral a shot with all the daylight left...
Dropping down to the Cathedral-Burwell saddle went well, but is not as straight-forward as when seen from above.
Cathedral Mountain and Burwell Lake, a bit south of the saddle.
Anyways, armed with an excerpt of Gum's Trip Report http://legacyweb.triumf.ca/people/gum/Cathedral.html , I make my way up. The bushwhacking was really bad, but I was expecting it to be. Gum's TR worked like a charm - The boulder fields, the gulley, the ridgewalk, the summit, everything.
This is the first boulder field, which will be on your right, and you leave the ridgecrest and traverse it. Finally some respite from the bushwhacking!

This is the second boulder field which I traversed to the top left corner. This picture does not show all of it.
After the traverse, I crossed this gully, still on Gum's route. Bad picture I know, but I was in an akward position.
Following all the commands, I eventually get up on the ridge,

This was a welcome sight. Some flagging guides you to the top from here.
And then the summit! 6 hours and 5 minutes from when i started cycling.

The bugs were a pain, so I didn't stay long on top. Also it was a really hot day.
The return journey was exhausting, especially getting back on Burwell from the Burwell-Cathedral saddle. Next time I am going to overnight it somewhere, and on a cooler day.
Thanks for all the info on this site that helped me...most recently hickinbc's report from a week ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Nis
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Gettin out, Hiking, 4x4ing, Bit of Biking, workin on the truck, and of course drinkin beer!

nicely done! I remember hikin in from Lynn and looking at Cathedral from Burwell and sayin screw that noise.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Sweet! Coliseum and Burwell are favourites of mine. Congrats on bagging Cathedral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Cathedral is getting popular these days. Good job on getting it done[^].

That 2nd rock field is where I screwed up and headed for the south face. Once back on track I never did have to cross that gully until near the top of it.

BTW, do you happen to work for Vancouver Parks and Rec?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

SUPER JOB. WELL DONE.. for doing Cathedral in one day.

K
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Summit Master

well done.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:49 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: this and that, here and there I may be boring, but i\'m never really bored... and that\'s all that matters. Isn\'t it?

good job baggin Cathedral on an already long hike!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 01:19 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Exploring the outdoors

Thanks for this seldom seen view of Eastcap Creek.

For anyone interested in legally visiting this valley (it is in the Capilano watershed and thus off-limits for hiking) Metro Vancouver offers free watershed bus tours up to Rodgers Lake at the base of Cathedral. These tours are popular during the summer months.

http://www.metrovancouver.org/region...ges/tours.aspx

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:BTW, do you happen to work for Vancouver Parks and Rec?
Nope. Good try though.

This probably wasn't the best hike to break in my brand new boots...blisters
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Backcountry skiing, Freeride mountain biking,road riding,cross country riding,rock climbing,ice hockey

I would like to climb Cathedral.If you go through the demo forest.Where is the turnoff for the trail head.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ATraslin

I would like to climb Cathedral.If you go through the demo forest.Where is the turnoff for the trail head.
The spur at about 9.2km on the Seymour Valley Trailway is the turnoff. The TH is on the right about a km up the road
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:
The spur at about 9.2km on the Seymour Valley Trailway is the turnoff. The TH is on the right about a km up the road
I think its a lot less than a km. I usually like to go in on the Headwaters trail, but last time I went up from the east with a buddy we thought it was further and ran past it. Just to clarify you take the little gravel service road on your left 9.2 km up the Trailway, then the trail splits off across the creek to the right of the service road. I would think its more like 500m, I seem to recall it taking like 2-3 minutes of slow uphill running.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Thats is a nice long trip
thanks for posting the report and the pictures

Alex
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ryan Conroy

Quote:
quote:
I think its a lot less than a km. I usually like to go in on the Headwaters trail, but last time I went up from the east with a buddy we thought it was further and ran past it. Just to clarify you take the little gravel service road on your left 9.2 km up the Trailway, then the trail splits off across the creek to the right of the service road. I would think its more like 500m, I seem to recall it taking like 2-3 minutes of slow uphill running.
Well in any event it's just before the road ends, and it could be be well less than a km as I've never measured it exactly
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Here's the map with GPS tracks from a couple of trips if it helps anybody. If the creek is dry AND you know where the trailhead is then this makes a nice shortcut - otherwise the thicker black lines follows the usual spur road.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page