Castle Towers: Challenges Overcome - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 04:36 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Geeze, its raining outside, and there is no parade in sight. Must'a missed something. Anyways, I was on the Castle Towers trip which still stands in my memory as an amazing camping and hiking experience. I respect the climbers' rule that you have to stand on the high point to summit, but this doesn't in the least detract from my sense of challenge and experience in getting pretty close to the true summit of Castle Towers without ropes. I hope someday to return to do the climb to the true summit, perhaps with some of the same group from the hiking trip. The "icing on the cake", so to speak. Ted, have you climbed the true summit, and if so, do you have any photos? Or for that matter, does anyone in CT? I'd love to see some shots from the top in clear weather - it was socked in with cloud and fog when we were there.

----------------------------------------
You can't take it with you, but who'd want to try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 04:48 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

Its not about the summit....

Its about "challenges overcome"

group behaviour, company you are with (or being solo if thats your desire) safety, taking in consideration peoples experience level and how much you enjoy the trip, and so on..

Some of my best trips I havent made the summit, does that make it a failure? Dont answer that, I dont really care. But it does bother me when someone rains on what other people feel good about.

To "summ-it" up - the memories you cherish when you reflect on any trip.

Still an awesome trip in my opinion, an adventure to be taken, and this group had it.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 05:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountains,skiing,cooking,Conspiracies,reading

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by social climber

Geeze, its raining outside, and there is no parade in sight. Must'a missed something. Anyways, I was on the Castle Towers trip which still stands in my memory as an amazing camping and hiking experience. I respect the climbers' rule that you have to stand on the high point to summit, but this doesn't in the least detract from my sense of challenge and experience in getting pretty close to the true summit of Castle Towers without ropes. I hope someday to return to do the climb to the true summit, perhaps with some of the same group from the hiking trip. The "icing on the cake", so to speak. Ted, have you climbed the true summit, and if so, do you have any photos? Or for that matter, does anyone in CT? I'd love to see some shots from the top in clear weather - it was socked in with cloud and fog when we were there.

social climber,didn't mean to detract from your experience,just setting things straight. No i havn't climbed Castle Towers but it's on the list.My friends D.Blair,who posts here often and Jim Sedor climbed to the true summit in,get this, one long day from Rubble parking lot, car to car[xx(]. Denis is too modest to mention this so i did it for him. I'll see if he has any pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 09:09 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Blackfly, thanks for bumping this thread, very interesting report. Great job to get up there given the conditions. Very well done Dean and crew!

Ted, welcome to the site! One day up and down? Hardcore! But I guess that should be expected from the builders of the Vicar Lakes trail. Very impressive!

Socialclimber, here's a shot of Castle Towers from the north. As you can see, the three peaks are pretty close to each other in terms of height although the centre peak is a little higher. But the difference is pretty marginal given the total elevation gain from the parking lot. Definitely an accomplishment to be proud of!

Here's a shot of the main summit from the west summit on a much better day.

post #35 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 10:09 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks Ted - those guys got up there in one day? Yikes! Peak Bagger - superb photos - thanks for providing them. I would love to get back up there someday, once I "know the ropes". Yes, this is a pretty neat post - there aren't very many on Castle Towers that I'm aware of. Any experiences or further information would be much appreciated.

post #36 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Speaking of 1 day ascents of Castle towers - in 1984 Peter Croft made a day trip solo circumnavigation of Garibaldi Lake via Rubble Creek, climbing both Castle Towers, and Sphinx via the north ridge, back to the car in about 23 hours. The article is in the 1985 Canadian Alpine Journal. ( I could have the dates 1 year off)
post #37 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

23 hours for all that?What an incredible daySomeone must have promised him a lot of cold beer(and they better have delivered!)Peter Croft must be quite a climber...
Dean,once again,a great post-I've reread it yet againHow's 1160 Jr. doing?
Ted-welcome to CT!
post #38 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Good Lord. 23 hours? What do these people eat for breakfast? Does anybody have a back copy of that article?

post #39 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by social climber
Does anybody have a back copy of that article?
Yes, I will find it and confirm details.

For those hikers not familiar with the name Peter Croft he was perhaps the best Canadian rock climber of the period 1978-1992; also an insanely strong mountaineer. Originally from Nanaimo area Peter moved to Squamish where he did the hardest climbs of the day including first free ascents of the Grand Wall and University Wall. After spending more and more time in Yosemite he moved down to California permanently around the mid 1980's. He is still climbing hard these days with new routes in the Sierra Nevada, and Waddington Range, in the last few years.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Off the Beaten Path

That would be great Dru - I would really like to read the account of his trip. Sounds like a giant of a mountaineer.

post #41 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 06:57 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

I found it

Canadian Alpine Journal, Vol 67 (1984) pp 76-77

The trip took place during a September Indian summer
He got up at 11:30 PM, left the car at 12:15, was on Castle Towers sometime after sunrise (!!), back at Battleship Islands in time for dinner with the park rangers (!!!) and out to the car sometime near sunset (!!!!). Seems like actually less than 23 hours, I don't know where I misremembered that figure from. Pretty damn impressive any way you slice it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page