McBride Range Ski Traverse-2 days - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Backcountry skiing, Freeride mountain biking,road riding,cross country riding,rock climbing,ice hockey
Default McBride Range Ski Traverse-2 days

McBride Range Ski Traverse-2 days

Andy Traslin
66 km
Asc 17,300 feet
Dur 41:08

The standard for this traverse used to be about 7 days. Ever since I saw a couple of crusty sun burnt people finish this traverse 10 years ago, I wanted to do it, but didnt get around to it. A remote traverse So close to North Vancouver. Recently I heard it had been done in 18 hours. So I set off to try and match It in at least one day. I knew the start and finish. I left early and got off to a good start on firm traveling snow. Going well into the Cheakamus river where I got turned back a few years ago. Arduous terrain with the fast melting snow. Skis off and on and off and on over and over again. Once past the river it was supposed to be a straight forward climb up to Mt. Sir Richard. This wasnt the case as I started to get baked by the sun. I started to really slow down here in this zone. I finally made it to the col. No time to rest as the wind started blowing, and the realization of how big the slots were and how far out there I was. I didnt have time to get wigged out it was survival time. I seriously considered turning around here, but I pushed on through here following some animal tracks through the crevasses over to Wolverine pass. From here It was a sketchy climb up steep slopes to gain the Forger glacier. Crossing the Forger glacier and one navigation error with a miserable ski and bushwhack through slide alder to gain drop pass the hard way. Once at Drop pass it was another steep climb up big slopes to gain ridge of Hour Peak. Once again not the time and place you want to be skinning but at this point I had no choice with warming temps that werent cooling off overnight. It was just move forward one struggle after another but that was the only way I was going to finish, moving and slogging one foot in front of the other. One bivy on the ridge and another climb up to Mt. Luxor and some scary crevasse section. Another climb up to the Sphinx glacier and wet corn skiing. One look of the lake and I knew I was in trouble. Too my surprise the lake was starting to thaw out so I had to contour around the outside of the lake, which was as sketchy as anything I had encountered. My ski edges flexing to the limit on the lake, like traversing a skateboard bowl lip, and once and a while I had to boulder with my feet in the water and pebble wrestle with my pack and skis dangling and trying to force me into the water, which was as sketchy as anything I had encountered. Probably one of the worst trip ideas Ive made, but I finally completed the traverse and got to enjoy the ski out to Rubble creek.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Holy shit dude. This is the first time you've posted a pic where you look exausted! Nice going on a sketchy late season traverse. [8D]Congrats on making it out in one piece!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Summit Master

andy - you look more then a little teabagged there. I would highly recommend skiing off Hour Pk next time you're there but maybe do that when it's actually got some snow.

Words fail me in thinking about crossing the lake at this time of the year. Do your skis float?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 01:33 PM
JP
Headed for the Mountains

Hesus, Andy. There be some big slot dragons out there, specially this time of year. Doing that solo sounds craziee.

Slide alder in Drop pass? Whoa that sounds like a serious detour.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

Guess you'll only have to do this one once
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Wow, impressive. Especially considering that the conditions aren't exactly fast right now with the lack of snow lower down, big slots, slushy snow and the lake...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Summit Master

Cool terrain,nice pics.Sounds damn tough.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Fantastic. That last shot tells a good story. You look bagged, relieved, and a little wigged all at the same time.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: ice hockey,ski mountaineering,mountain biking ,rock climbing,trail running,skateboarding

Get a SPOT so if things go SNFU,I will know how to locate you.Or a sat phone,though it is not the pure style at least you will have a chance![:0]

Good one!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing

Enviable endurance man!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Backcountry skiing, Freeride mountain biking,road riding,cross country riding,rock climbing,ice hockey

Hour Peak next time with snow.Luckily I could contour around the outside of the lake.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Summit Master

post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 10:53 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LeeL

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=31076

In a day
I think Lee means:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Vwiy0PgJM
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Hey Andy did you ski up Blackcomb, the singing pass trail or start from the horstman patrol station like the other group did?
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I toured up the Blackomb ski area to the Hortsman hut and bivied.This was a hard day before the traverse.It would be nice if you had and insider to get towed up in the evening.Then leave really early the next morning and save your energy.I'm pretty sure the other group would have had some connection with patrol to pull it off.There might have even been a track set before they went.You gotta have the right conditions for fast travel and good snow coverage lower down by the Cheakamus river.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page