Bowron Lakes in 6 sunburning days! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, hiking/camping, being eccentric,
Default Bowron Lakes in 6 sunburning days!

Walkies, Ladybug, Carm and I just returned from paddling the Bowron Lakes circuit! We scheduled 8 days to do it, but the weather and our team was so awesome that we achieved it in six! [8D][:0]

I'll write up more later; but for now, I'm burned, wiped out, seriously craving non-camp food [], and got about 550 photos to sort through.
It's very interesting that being so far into the interior, that the climate there is more coastal than not. It clearly rains alot there.
ttyl.

Life never ceases to amaze me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Nomad
It clearly rains alot there.
I can attest that it does!!

I didn't experience the usual "craving non-camp food" as Bluecruisin organized such an incredible menu when we went.

Can't wait to see your pictures.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I'm with you on the sunny Bowron days -- we had very little rain on our 10 day trip 2 years ago last August -- I don't think we got our rain gear out once. But it poured for days before we got there and then it poured for days after.

I know that we just lucked out with the weather but I'll tell ya, it was really nice. [8D]

Dan

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

It was interesting how this year three separate trips to Bowron Lakes were planned and all of them were planned separately by coincidence. No one knew anything about any of the trips until the invitations all rolled out simultaneously. Since TR's already exist, I'm not going to bother with telling you the audience where you can find the Chute, how long Isaac lake is, how exciting going down Isaac River backwards is, yada yada yada…

I can recommend that you stay at campsites: 20, 27, 34, and 48. Why? Because it's nice there.
I suggest that if you are going to do this trip, take your time and enjoy it. Key word here: “Relax”
Be prepared for everything. Yes, even sunscreen.
Butter and margarine are not to be substituted with lard. It's socially unacceptable.
Wine gums and fruit gummies get harder to chew when dehydrated.
There is lots of evidence of great wet boredom in the Chute Shelter. The paddle shrine is creepy.
Do try your luck at hitting it in the beginnings of fall. The colours are amazing!

I don't know what drives people to set out and achieve a trip like this. For me this trip had a very personal purpose to it. This trip was 18 years in the making. Back when Jesus was a pup and I was knee high to a grasshopper, my uncle Bent introduced me to camping. Canoe camping. We used to take off around Aloutte Lake, Stave lake, pitter pattered through the brand new (then) Valhalla Park, pulled fish out of the Kettle Valley, Fraser Canyon, and places I don't even know where to find today. Before his health failed and he passed away he told me to do the Bowron Lakes before I die because he loved it so much. He did it three times, and I'm sure he carried everything. After he passed away, I was well on my way into the mental retardation of teenage-hood, and lost many years to Nintend-it is, or digitalitis.

After I pulled out of that, career building became priority and I was well on my way to becoming a ****-sure 25 year old. For my 25th birthday, I finished my apprenticeship and travelled 3 months in Scandinavia and northern Germany. Bent's home town was near Kristiansborg near København. In order to travel, I needed to learn how to travel. This is where ClubTread entered my life. On many great trips and much thanks to HikerBoy, I had learned much about gear, hiking and the whole shebang. I had most fortunately met and was introduced to Carmen, Walkies and Ladybug. The years quickly raced by from one trip to another, working to hike and travel. More friends came along the way; Wilderness Seeker, Seawall Runner, Clairebear, Alena, Marc, Monster, HikingNut… Each of them adding something more to my life. Life is good!

At some point Alena and I were comparing our life to-do lists, and several items matched. Bowron Lakes was one of them. “Hey, let's do it!” My 30th birthday was quickly rolling up and what better way to spend it? Emails were sent and replies were returned. Wilderness Seeker had just joined another trip only the day before. Marc and Piika, were getting their ducks in a row for it, but much earlier in the year than I could get time off for. By the time for last minute committal arrived, we had a powerful team of Walkies, Ladybug, Carm and myself.

HikingNut had been around the circuit before and had much useful advice. (incl. don't bother with a hatchet, go big!) Wilderness Seeker, introduced me to Monster, who reacquainted me with the canoe. Walkies used to do multi-week trips by canoe and has more experience in his nail clippings than I had in my life. Carmen has an inexhaustible source of will power, determination and drive to achieve anything she wants. Ladybug was an amazing HR director and moral support. She had a lot to do with the cheffing as well. Me? I'm turning thirty and supposed to have it together by now. Right?

I think I can safely say that there were two great constants on this trip.
1) I'm disorganized. (There, I admit it)
2) We were heavily guarded by luck.

We were lucky in that, we could not have asked for better weather. Perfect cloudless skies with no wind for most of the trip. We had a few high clouds and a slight breeze on the last day.
“Wow! I can't believe this luck with the weather! No rain in sight.” “Shuush!! Don't curse it. We don't need Alan's luck.”

When we drove to Becker's Lodge we got there just in time for their last dinner and breakfast before they close for the winter (and ever?)
“Go to Blue building…” “Hmmm blue building… blue building… that one, that one, blue door? … Hi! We need to rent a canoe and no one's around?” “Go to the blue building.”

We managed to not tip over going through the Chute and being spun around on Isaac River.
“Whatever you do! Don't let the canoe go backwards!!” … “What do we do now!?”, “Well I guess we're going backwards…”

We were lucky we made it out period and didn't have to swim part way.
“Don't throw that flaming marshmallow in the canoe!” “Don't worry, I won't! ... Oh, **** me!”

We were lucky to have great cooking ideas and healthy meals.
“Why did you bring lard?” “It won't go rancid like butter, it won't melt like margarine, and it's full of energy.” “But that's… never mind…”

We were lucky to be in great shape and pristine health.
“Can we change sides? Are you okay?” “When I get back, I'm going to find Tracy so she can put this vertebrae back in!”

We were lucky that we all got along soo well.
( I think I'll leave that one alone ) but it has nothing to do with being Gemini or Aquarius or Virgo, or Libra…

We were lucky that we had each other for support.
“Do you need a hug?” “Yes. I'm trying so hard and I still can't seem to get it.”
“I'm sorry!” “It's okay. We both know each other well enough…”

We were lucky that we proudly faced the challages before us, and successfully achieved our goal!
“This would be a great test for a couple before they get married!” “You mean if they can survive each other through this, they'll survive their marriage?” “Yeah!”

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Summit Master

Nice. Looking forward to some photos.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Here's a few preview photos:

The Chute by moon light

The Paddle Shrine

Indian Point Lake

Isaac Lake main arm

Isaac Lake west arm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Nice write-up Kris!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

I'll be gone for a solo, so no updates for a few days.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

The night of our Arrival.

Our Cast

Ladybug

Walkies

Carmen and our Freighter

Indian Point Lake

Isaac Lake (both arms)

Lanezi Lake

Sandy Lake

Spectacle Lake

Bowron River

Home coming on Bowron Lake!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Sweet ![^] Loved the writeup, this one's on my TDL too
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 05:42 PM

Kris, this was one of the best, genuine trip reports I've ever read. Sorry I could not join you for this trip. I promise to take you to Princess Louisa Inlet for your 31st birthday if you're still interested.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

okay, I'm feeling a little bit guilty for not posting any pictures with clouds and rain and the typical nastiness of which many have been oppressed by.[}]
Believe me, the Chute Shelter is a shine dedicated to attempting to appease the weather gods but to no avail!
So, without further adieu.. my cloud photo!

We were trembling in fear when we saw this badass on day four!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 AM

I almost miss your TR at the bottom of all the trips. Happy to hear how well the trip went. I could not believe you had tan lines in September. I already knew the group was great. Glad to have seen another trip of the area. For another time for me. Beautiful pictures Kris.

Cheers,
CB
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

Something Frenchy has been telling me for years, plan all your vacations for mid September if you want good weather. If I understood correctly, you all decided to run the chute with your gear in the canoes?

Those pictures you brought back show some pretty amazing weather Nomad, did anyone happen to take a fishing rod along? Rumor has it that Fall is the time to be fishing out there and one September (long ago) I pulled a 4lb lake trout out of Issac lake while spin casting from shore close to a creek mouth.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Off the Beaten Path

As it turned out we camped at the top of the chute. Serena and I carried our packs but left everything else in the canoe as we were going to paddle down to the falls.

Nomad and I went in his/their empty canoe (his first time in white water)as they preferred to do the whole portage.

Fishing was a little dismal. Caught one little guy who managed to get off the barbless hook. The largest concentration of large(visible ones anyway) was just as you leave McLeary Lake along the like of the cloudy glaciated water coming from the Caribou river.

Kris had a fly rod (but managed to irrevocably tangle the line early on) and I had a caster with lures purchased from the dregs at the local general store.

I'd do this trip again in September but I think next time it will be in the May/June time frame just before the little buggers come swarming out of school.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page