Williams Peak: pestilence, inferno, dehydration - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Williams Peak: pestilence, inferno, dehydration

I wanted to try Williams Peak. I knew that it would be warm today, so I got to the trailhead (williams ridge) at 6:00 AM. I figured...my book says 11 k return. 1240m gain to the end of the trail with 200 meters elevation difference to get to the summit from the end of the trail. Based on that information, I figured that this would take me about 6 hours...since Mcfarlane took me 7 from chilliwack lake road (same elevation gain, but it was double the distance.

I don't think my book is right. It felt like more than 200 meters from the knoll to the summit. It also felt like way more distance than 5.5 km each way. The ridge alone is probably almost that.

LEG ONE: trailhead to ford mountain connection.

This was a joy to hike. The trail means business, but I would prefer to climb a trail this way as opposed to radium lake....lets get-er done. There were no bugs, the air was cool, and the mood was right.
I took a crappy blurry shot of the old cabin as I walked by.

LEG TWO: Williams Ridge
This sucked. Real Real Real bad. I had thought that this would be the fun part of the hike, but it was VERY BUGGY. I'm not kidding. The last time I've heard sounds like that, I was at the Motocross races...in the 2-stroke days. It never ended from here on. Constant slapping. If you're a professional bee-keeper, you may not mind, but I was thrashing through the bushy parts of the trail just to get the bugs off of me.
The hike goes up and DOWN the bumps on the ridge ridge a number of times (too many to count), and the scenery is not good, it doesent feel like a ridge, it reminds me of sumas mountain. Oh...did I mention that it is really long in this section? probably 3x as long as I imagined it to be.
In the last 1/4 of this section it does become beautiful, the views open up, and the meadows are quite nice.

LEG THREE: end of trail to summit.
OK now we are having fun again (me and the flies that is). OK seriously though, this is fun terrain to walk in. It's like a playground. I boulder hopped up to the shoulder. There was a mellow route (blue) in the sun and a steep route (pink) in the shade so I took the shady route...beginning to worry about my water supply. I now affectionately refer to this shady steep section as the "valley of anguish". It was loose and sketchy.

Possible routes

Around the corner to the long gulley that WILDMAN describes.

Up it to the top. If you can find a place to sit where flying ants are not mating then it is a nice place to linger when the wind is blowing. There's two neat little ponds below in the talus

This land's value would be higher if Slesse would get out of the way and give us a BAKER VIEW:

LEG FOUR: Descent (or should I say ascent too)
Coming down was a snap...the talus is pretty well lodged (trust me I'm a boulderer, I know my talus)

And Then:

You mean I've gotta climb up that thing? Yes indeed, and it was now the afternoon, and I am in the oven. It was now that I realized that I did not have enough water left in my camelback.

I tried to go really fast "down" the ridge. I took tiny sips of water every 10 minutes. It got hotter and hotter. After an eternity, I made it to the junction, and started going down. To make a long story short, I made it, but I was getting pretty clumsy at the end. I should have known better than to trust the "backroads mapbook". This was a serious dayhike, harder than macfarlane.

When I made it back to my car, and started driving, the temperarature read well into the 30's even up to 35 in some areas.

Info on the trip
Elevation gain (my guess) between 1700-1950
Distance ????
Time taken Just over 9 hours. (I brought enough water for a 6 hour trip). My wife was just about to start making some calls when I came home.

Either I underestimated the time necessary for the hike, or the Heat totally drained me. either way, I don't think I'm gonna hike in the heat anymore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Ughhh I was going to go hiking tommorrow and you've now convinced me that sitting in front of the aircon at home might be a better idea.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by russianfront

Ughhh I was going to go hiking tommorrow and you've now convinced me that sitting in front of the aircon at home might be a better idea.
Bring lots and lots of water and you should be okay.

I really only started suffering when I ran out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

I think you're probably right about it seeming longer because it was hot and you didn't have enough water. Glad you made it. I took my niece on the ridge last year, she figured it was the "hike from hell", lol.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Flowing-Brook

I think you're probably right about it seeming longer because it was hot and you didn't have enough water. Glad you made it. I took my niece on the ridge last year, she figured it was the "hike from hell", lol.
If you went the ford mountain route, then it would be hell. The ridge was by far my least favorite section. Kudos to you for sticking it out though.

I'm not a fan of "up then down then up again hiking"

The first section of the Williams ridge route was really good for me today though.

Interesting...I feel great now after drinking 4 liters of water. I think it was just dehydration first and foremost. Good point FB
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Summit Master

I mentioned before to pack extra water up the ridge and stash it for the return,after reading your T/R,It just enforces that idea.
Good T/R
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.

Was the little creek near the top of the ridge flowing? That's been my salvation on trips down Williams in the past. Someone just mentioned stashing water, which is a good plan on this hike.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Elkaholic

Was the little creek near the top of the ridge flowing? That's been my salvation on trips down Williams in the past. Someone just mentioned stashing water, which is a good plan on this hike.
It was dripping...

I was desperate, but I weighed the risk of the dehydration over a 45 minute descent against the risk of infection.

I chose not to drink, I had no filter.

Have you drank from that stream?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: duh
Send a message via MSN to hikinbc

I remember aquaterra's post last week too about bringing enough water and I thought yup good idea; getting dehydrated sucks

nice work nice report good read . Good to see the routes
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

I've always thought the route to ridge end was longer than 5.5km. Glad I'm not the only one.

Good job on making it to the top, the nice views make it worth it.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 11:26 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountains,skiing,cooking,Conspiracies,reading

It was brutally hot in the mountains today.Water is always a problem on Williams.October is a great time to do it.Good work,and a good tr.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 12:42 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

With a fantastic subject line for your trip report, I had to take a look. I can totally relate. I'm currently in Maui. We did a short hike on the desert side of the island, and let me tell you, easy hikes become brutal when it's 35 degrees outside with no shade!

(My trip reports are forthcoming, but I'm currently busy drinking Mai Tais and getting ready for a snorkelling trip [8D])
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 09:07 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

I always enjoy reading your TR's. What a horrible thing to run out of water. I'm learning better too much than not enough! It seems whenever I read trip reports, I want to share my own experiences into what's been discussed - not having enough water. At the same time, I don't want to take away from your report. Nicely done pianoexcellence. You are truly adventurous and it's good to know you have a caring wife waiting for you back at home!
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Love this shot of an almost totally eclipsed Mt. Baker. Great report!

post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Deja Vu or What,

Your TR totally reminds me of our little trip up that way 3 years ago. It was 35 that day to and probably closer to 40 in that rocky cauldron. I think the gradient helps to make it seem much longer as well. Anyhow it seemed much worse coming back too as the temperature increased and the wind decreased. Between the two of us we had 6 litres of water and it still didn't seem to be enough. Luckily back in the car we had freezing cooooold refreshing revitalizing beer stashed away in the cooler to rehydrate with.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page