Fool's Gold Route 1, Darren and Greg 0 (Aug. 2-6) - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Fool's Gold Route 1, Darren and Greg 0 (Aug. 2-6)

After months of planning, studying all kinds of maps and getting psyched, Darren and I set out to do the Fool's Gold Route on Sunday (Aug.2)

We took the long way up, through Lillooet and the Duffy Lake Road, because of the rock slide at Porteau Cove. We hit Squamish, travelled almost to the end of the Mamquam Forest Service Road, and finally got dropped off at the trailhead and started our trip at 6:15 p.m.

This broken log bridge marks the end of logging road and start of the uphill towards Hopeful Meadows.

We carved out a campsite on the ridge above the meadows and got to sleep shortly after 10 p.m.

The next day we were on the trail by 9:15 a.m, and reached the meadows
atop Mamquam Pass within an hour. The sun was shining and the meadow was gorgeous, filled with little creeklets meandering through it.

Views of Meslillooet to the southwest.

We felt good, confident that we could make up for our late start the previous day and complete the route (which ends at Widgeon Slough near Port Coquitlam) in seven days. We thought we might have time for a side trip up to Widgeon Lake, or to blaze a new trail to Munro Lake to allow hikers to avoid the Secret Evil Compound at the end of the trail.

We continued sidehilling down Mamquam Pass, occasionally losing the flagged trail. A lot of the flags were obscurred by branches that had grown in since the last trail clearing 14 years ago. We reached Scary Crossing at 2:30, later than we'd hoped. Then we saw it was destroyed: what used to be three logs across the river was now one, and a broken log at that.

We hiked back upstream and eventually found Wet Foot Crossing.

After crawling over the log and fighting through thick bush on the opposite side of the creek, we took an exhausted lunch break at 3:30, before heading east and downstream on the trail adjacent to Boise Ck. Previous trip reports from the area mentioned flagging was almost non-existant here, and suggested staying high above the creek, keeping the cliff walls to our right as we followed the creek downstream.

But after bushwacking for a while, we did find flagging, only to lose it again. As the day wore on, we realized the flagged route stayed within about 50 metres of the river. But the overgrown shin-tangle shrubs and devil's club made it hard to stay on track, and coveted flagging was hard to come by. The saws came out to cut branches where needed.

We called it a day at 7:15 p.m., setting up another ad hoc camp well short of our destination - we'd hoped to make it to Cedar Spirit Grove by the end of the day. We were tired and a little frustrated, but still optimistic.

We didn't get going on Monday morning until about 10 a.m. We reached Cabin Crossing and were relieved to see a low water level at the creek that made crossing it no problem. We continued on through more bushwacking. This riparian area in the middle of a slide was especially nasty.

We made it to Cedar Spirit Grove by about 3 p.m., well behind schedule. These old-growth cedars, the General and the General's wife, are both 1100 years old, and flank the sign at the grove.

We also found gchicalo's book here (a Timothy Findlay novel), which he left behind to save some weight when he did the trail a few years ago.

Darren and I were well behind pace at this point, and pretty tired from bushwacking through the thick understory with heavy packs on. After mulling over our slim chance of finishing the trail within the week, we the difficult decision to turn around. It was a pretty hard call for us to make after all the planning that went into the trip. To make the trip worth while, we decided to do some trail work on the way back: retying old flagging, cutting overgrown branches with our pruning saws, and adding our own blue-and-white striped flagging where needed.

We headed to the Goldilocks campsite established by the '92 WCWC trail building crew, cleared it out, and went to get some water from the creek and have a swim.

We made a fire, and relaxed for the night.

After waking up late, we made a leisurely stop at Cabin Crossing the next day, picked up some fool's gold, and had a relaxing break. There's a nice natural pool formed here by river boulders.

We bushwacked back, but not before seeing a black bear at close range. It couldn't have cared less about us - it was looking for vegetation to munch on.

Problems with my left knee forced us to take an early dinner break (and some ibuprofen for me) about halfway between the grove and Wet Foot Crossing. We crossed back over Boise Ck. at Wet Foot Crossing and made another new camp site on the north side of the creek, in the vicinity of Scary Crossing. We cut pine boughs to level out the tent spot.

We lost the trail again the next morning on the way up Mamquam Pass. Tired of bushwacking, we sought out fallen logs to walk on instead.

We stopped again at Mamquam Pass to cool our feet in a creeklet, have lunch, and enjoy the scenery.

We finally made it back to the logging road at about 6:00 p.m. A call made by satellite phone the night before meant we had a ride coming to get us, which we met about halfway down the Mamquam FSR.

At the time, I was pretty down about the whole experience of getting our asses kicked by the Fool's Gold Route. In hindsight, we saw some pretty cool areas, and did complete the Boise Ck. trail.

But questions remain. Was Slumach materializing as slide alder and devil's club to keep us from reaching his lost gold? Did it feel like a gulag in there because we started the trip on the day Alexander Solzhenitsyn died? Should we have taken the hint when the cliff at Porteau Cove slid across the highway?

I don't know, but I can say I'll be back to the area soon. I'm hoping to organize a work hike in September to get back in there and finish reconnecting the trail fragments, at least as far as Cedar Spirit Grove. With less overgrown bush, the trail could be doable in a week.

Thanks to Aqua Terra for being available to pick us up by canoe, Moses for the map, gchicalo for trail information, and Darren for making the whole trip happen. It's a great area and it's a shame the trail's fallen into neglect. If anybody wants to join the trip (a two-nighter?) to do some trail work, please send me a message.

You can ask a stranger, my board is fast and danger.

- Ill Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 01:02 AM
Summit Master

Wow, quite the epic adventure!! Wet Foot Crossing, Scary Crossing....sounds right up my alley. Well, no.

Thanks for a great trip report!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 01:23 AM

Nice TR, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 01:36 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Making gear, Customizing gear, Hiking about, Hammocking, Prospecting,Sasquatch Hunting, I also like to read

Nice report fellas. Enjoyed the pictures and story.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

That route is jing [8D]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 08:29 AM
High on the Mountain Top

And that's the easy half! I applaud your enthusiasm.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the report---an enjoyable read and cool adventure!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Q
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: absoltely anything outdoors, kayaking, hiking, cycling, mountain biking,

kudos to you guys for undertaking it. I wouldn't say you had your asses kicked. You gave it a good try. Sounds like an adventure at any rate.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 10:10 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

From the other reports folks have done on this route/trail I wouldn't say you had your asses kicked! Great report and more so, great effort guy's.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Sorry to hear you could not complete your goal. I have hiked the complete route from Mamquam to the west side of Burke Mountain twice. The last time was in 1996 when the route was in better shape. I call it a route because from Cedar Spirit Grove to almost the bottom of the DeBeck Valley is without a trail. When people would ask me how difficult is it, I would respond with "It is 10 times harder than the West Coast Trail" and that was when I did it. You had a much more difficult time. I was part of the group who did trail work and put up the flagging and markers, but since it became a provincial park little has been done in the remote valleys. I hope more people get interested in this area and maybe funding from BC Parks to help build a trail through this wonderful area. I hope to hike it again. Good luck in your trail work!

Looking into the Bull Valley from the Bull DeBeck Pass

From the top of the Widgeon Valley

post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:02 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Seriously active hiker/ mountaineer/ canyoneer

Nice effort guys, and good call on backing off when you realized there were issues. It sounds like you don't have to worry too much about the trail going away soon, since it is more or less not there anyway.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Nice going guys! You'll be back and finish it one of these days
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Headed for the Mountains

great TR, looked like a great adventure
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:52 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Somewhere between pomp & circumstance, British Columbia, Canada.
Interest: Hmmmm?

You might feel like you got your ass kicked, but it's still better than sitting in front spreadsheets all day. You boys did well with the flagging tape, clearing and such. (Glad to the Mamquam Pass sign is still there, I hung it up last time, but it had probably fallen since then, no?).
Let me know when you plan the next one.
Should Be "Fool's Gold Route 1, Darren and Greg 1/2"
Well done boys.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Glad to the Mamquam Pass sign is still there, I hung it up last time, but it had probably fallen since then, no?
That sign was still hanging when we got there. Mamquam Pass was an amazing spot.

I'll just add a few extras since Greg's covered the important stuff already. If you're planning on going here, you must bring a few things or you're likely to turn back within the first day!

Essentials:
- gloves (grabbing devil's club with bare hands sucks)
- something that cuts stuff (bushes need cutting, undoubtedly)
- shoes/boots that dry fast (your feet will be wet the entire time)
- flagging tape (2 or 3 rolls would help make the trail more clear)
- Carb Boom (this shit gives you power!)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page