Slacker Stoyama weekend: July 18-20/08 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running
Default Slacker Stoyama weekend: July 18-20/08

The kids and I set out Friday for an Interior "car camping" weekend at Cabin Lake in the mountains between the Coquihalla and the Fraser Canyon. We set out under cool overcast skies and proceeded up Highway 5 to Merrit. From there it is 18 km on Highway 8 to Petit Creek road. Stay on the main road and keep right at all major forks EXCEPT at the 2 back to back bridges where you stay left and left.

The road digressed from pavement, to well graded gravel, to so-so graded gravel, to a rough 4x4 track. But we were able to drive all the way to this nice little lake located at about 6000'. There is a Forest Service camping area complete with outhouse and picnic tables.

By the time we arrived, the weather was beautiful. There was a fairly consistent, strong breeze coming across the Lake to keep the bugs at bay and we had a great evening.

Saturday we set out for 7600' Stoyama mountain. Other than a steep grunt at the beginning, this is a short, pleasant hike in the sub-alpine.

After about 1 1/4 hours we were on top of the biggest peak in the area and enjoyed an extended stay enjoying the sunshine and warmth. There appear to be the remains of some kind of tower or other structure up here as well as a claim corner post from 2003.

After that, it was a return to the Lake and another pleasant evening. This morning we came back out and then did a much longer drive out by way of Spences Bridge and the Fraser Canyon. The great scenery was well worth making it a longer driving circuit.

\"Aging ... it beats the alternative\"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:53 AM

Hey ChuckU, that looks like a great area. Were there other groups camping at the FS site? How busy was it? Cabin Lake is one of the options I'm considering in the next couple weeks for a weekend.

Thanks,

Aaron
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Its a really nice little area. I really want to get back and explore the Heather Basin more thoroughly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 06:31 PM

Nice job ChuckU - the Stoyama / Cabin Lake area is a hikers playground. How were the wildflowers? Good thing you had a breeze to keep the bugs down! The views from Stoyama look spectacular!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

. Oh my gosh, you're two kids on the same trip! [:0]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ChuckU

Oh shoot, you found my gold mine. Darn!!!
Now the rush will be on. []
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crow

Hey ChuckU, that looks like a great area. Were there other groups camping at the FS site? How busy was it? Cabin Lake is one of the options I'm considering in the next couple weeks for a weekend.

Thanks,

Aaron
Aaron

Late Friday night (about 10:30 or later), 2 young guys showed up for the weekend with the apparent, sole objective of enjoying a very large camp fire. We actually didn't see much of them as they took their truck off hunting for wood at every opportunity. They were our the only other people there all weekend.

Hiking Nut: The flowers were just coming into their own. I expect the peak will be in the next week or two. It's an area that offers lots of opportunities for further exploration with several lakes located well up in the sub-alpine.

Spunky: The kids actually get along very well together but they're getting to an age where they have lots of other things going on. It's a real treat to get them together for a trip these days!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page