Eco Forest Reserve - July 13/08 - Sexy but.... - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Somewhere between pomp & circumstance, British Columbia, Canada.
Interest: Hmmmm?
Default Eco Forest Reserve - July 13/08 - Sexy but....

Guys
Have you ever been on a first date with a girl who is smart, attractive, charismatic, and sincerley laughs at your sense of humour? She's got alot going for her and you think a second date is a good idea. You follow up with the second date, things are going well when she says, "I really like you, you're such a nice grounded guy, so I have to be honest with you before this goes any further. What I'm about to say I desperately hope won't change things between us". You wait with baited breath. What could it be. Suddenly she blurts out, " I HAVE GENITAL WARTS!" She goes on to say it's not that bad and that she hasn't a breakout in a few years. She's pretty and everthing, but all your hearing is "GENITAL WARTS!".
This is what this hike was like for me.

I had been there with a bunch of CT'ers a while back, and I found the area to be pretty spectacular. Massive trees, snow capped mountains, beautiful river and not too many people, so a second date was in order to get a bit more intimate with this area. I brought my buddy Scott along to show him just what I was talking about.

Early morning looking across the lake...

...and back down the lake.

Couple zoom shots.
Pretty sexy so far.

The first few minutes of the trail. (Enjoy it while it lasts.)

We come to a great spot where the water is begging us to enjoy her soothing pleasures. "Don't I look inviting?" she says.

We soon realize we are at a dead-end. We feel slightly deceived, and back-track to find the trail proper. We soon come to an area of fabulous old growth. The forest has redeemed herself, our trust is now rebuilding.

She beckons us deeper and tempts us with glimpses of splendour such as these....

A clear trail...

Grandeur...

Pristine setting...

Don't be fooled. This is nothing more that a sultry ploy to intice you further into her snare. We soon discovered that while she looks good from afar, she is far from good.
This was her calling card.

The trail is so completely over-grown it spots it is easy to lose. Devils club is constant, thick prickly berry bushes are 6-8 feet high in many (most) places after the first 45 minutes and some of these stretches are long. Oh, did I mention the alder? Don't get me started on the amount of blow-down that completely disguises large sections of the route. The only way to tell if your on the trail is by letting your feet be your eyes; they will tell you if you are still on the firm packed trail or if you have ventured slightly off course. Much of the day was trying to ensure we are on the right path, and this included acting more like a bull in china shop. Head down, hiking poles out-stretched in front of you as a somewhat ineffective shield, and then just power through hoping you'll come out into a clearing. The forest constantly teases you just enough with promises of a clear trail, or perhaps a fantastic large tree, or maybe some log crossings just to keep it interesting.

She seems nice but I'm constantly being bitch-slapped; I'm losing my patience and I'm ready to snap. I've lost skin to tree branches, bushy growth, and a tenacious horse-fly that I like to call "Lucky". (He got away, but I came very close.)

I thought I had the last laugh when I found a nice little beach near the border for lunch and some rest.

In the end, she won. (But I did manage to make it back to the truck before it totally fell apart. At least I can now justify new boots.)

If you decide to do this hike, please don't be fooled by her beauty....and bring protection, cause you WILL need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Guys
Have you ever been on a first date with a girl who is smart, attractive, charismatic, and sincerley laughs at your sense of humour? She's got alot going for her and you think a second date is a good idea. You follow up with the second date, things are going well when she says, "I really like you, you're such a nice grounded guy, so I have to be honest with you before this goes any further. What I'm about to say I despeately hope won't change things between us". You wait with baited breath. What could it be. Suddenly she blurts out, " I HAVE GENITAL WARTS!" She goes on to say it's not that bad and that she hasn't a breakout in a few years. She's pretty and everthing, but all your hearing is "GENITAL WARTS!".
This is what this hike was like for me.
ROFLAO

Oh I'm such a sucker for a pretty face and curves in the right places. They beckon to you softly calling your name. You give it your all and they leave you a drained and broken soul. “Yup been there done that “!
Not unlike the time I went up to Golden Ears peak with a 55lbs pack in August.The bugs finished me off at the top.

Moe this should be on Survivorman !
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:20 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Some interests: working out, hiking, canoeing, snowshoeing, cycling, motorcycling, gardening, classical music, opera, ballet, travel, esp. cruise travel, good books, wine, and food...

Great story and even greater photos. But where is it???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Makes a guy wanna double up just thinking about this hike.
Great report and Pics! Sure looks gorgeous, but I will beware.
Thanks for sharing this experience and lesson.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Wow, even the trees have curves[:0][].

This is Depot area I think? Lindeman looks nice.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

This is at the south end of Chilliwack Lake.
"Chilliwack River Eco Forest Reserve". It is a no hunting, no camping, no fishing, no fires, no fun zone. The trail, (or what's left of it), connects to a trail at the border that continues another 48km to their trailhead. Supposed to be a shelter .75 miles into the States as well.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Great T/R Mo (as usual) and some great pics too!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Summit Master

Interest: in no particular order... * photography * cooking * eating * hiking / backpacking * shit-disturbing * messin\' with computer stuff

Entertaining read and pix there, Mister Mo!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Frolicking in the snow, hanging out on summits, chilling out, eating, and laughing in the company of my friends.

Great intro... Riveting story!

I really like your pictures, Moses.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

I'm sure you can get some ointment for that.

Or a Machete?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Moses

This is at the south end of Chilliwack Lake.
"Chilliwack River Eco Forest Reserve". It is a no hunting, no camping, no fishing, no fires, no fun zone. The trail, (or what's left of it), connects to a trail at the border that continues another 48km to their trailhead. Supposed to be a shelter .75 miles into the States as well.
I recognize the place, hiked there 4 years ago and went for a dive into one of the snow-melt water streams that time. Illegally done as it was on the US side of the border. Trees are awesome.

You may have found a badly chewed up cedar tree on the route, beavers are hungry and terrorize the local junior trees.

K
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Scaling New Heights

is their a gpx for this trail?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

You must be a *****.
Chris from the US was hiking through there to across the border once a week to get to his survey station for Marbled Murrelets until recently he was taken off the survey to survey the reaction of sea birds where they are building a new bridge in Seattle.
He had white and red dotted flagging along the trail to the border that glows in the dark because many times he went in there in the dark with a headlamp or came out in the dark.

You trying to make us Canadians out to be pussies?
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wildman

You must be a *****.
Chris from the US was hiking through there to across the border once a week to get to his survey station for Marbled Murrelets until recently he was taken off the survey to survey the reaction of sea birds where they are building a new bridge in Seattle.
He had white and red dotted flagging along the trail to the border that glows in the dark because many times he went in there in the dark with a headlamp or came out in the dark.

You trying to make us Canadians out to be pussies?
You might be on to something there, Wally. I might be a *****, or maybe just navigationally challenged as I saw few (nay, zero) markers after a certain point. Perhaps I took a wrong turn along the way. Feel free to go there and plot out the GPS track, maybe I'll join you and prove my manliness to you. (I hear banjo music in your future.)
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

I was sucked in by the first line. Thoughts of romance and silly laughter began to fill my head. And then the screaming started.

Loved this TR

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page