Stave/Alouette Walkabout with pics - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Making gear, Customizing gear, Hiking about, Hammocking, Prospecting,Sasquatch Hunting, I also like to read
Default Stave/Alouette Walkabout with pics

G'day everyone, Evan here. I thought that I would finally sign up for club tread and add my two bits. This is one of my day trips out to stave lake area. I've read up on some old threads and know to thank Wulf for his wicked trail along Alouette Lake. I used it this day to get back, and many times since. So I was in the mood for some intense bush whacking and followed the Florence lake Burma road right to the end in a clear cut. You can see it in google earth after the turn down to alouette and the other direction to the electrical house. So I had my compass and just went due north. It was tough in some places and the two clear cuts that had to be crossed were a pain. we ended up at moss rock eventually and got a nice view of stave lake from the top of it after I shimmied to the top of it. (I don't know if it's the moss rock as per the topo map but it was as big as a house and in the locality so ill take a stab.) There was a recent campfire behind the moss rock. We decided not to head all the way to Glacier Bay but find the overgrown logging/creek bed road instead. Found it in no time and soon found the creepy lake that the road goes into and comes out the other side. Something about the lake I found verry creep. I reckon I've seen that movie .......they never find the body. We skirted it on the side with all the tape on the trees and started following it again. It's started to become more over grown so we headed off down where it opens up more and then picked up the old boardwalk trail. Followed it back to the Blair witch cabin and then at the first creek toward wulfs trail we stopped to cook a few smokies we had brought along. We practiced a leave no trace as best I can and after finishing the fire rocks were strewn about and the charcoal buried. We did some more quick exploring and found a collapsed shed or cabin back up the RR trail along the Alouette River and when you first come to the river after that there are two big cables on the other side. Any body know what it was for? Its just up the trail maybe 700metes possibly less from the blair witch cabin. After going just a bit further we called it a day and backtracked to the car. We were out for nearly 14 hours. What a great day. Now I was back to do some more pokking around in the area and at the first creek after the blair witch cabin going toward wolfs trail where we had stopped for dinner and some one had made a bridge across it. It's a nice bridge and all but guys who ever made it clean up your stuff. There were many beer cans scattered about. I didn't have much of a pack and could get a few out. And the other thing that surprised me was the need for a bridge there at all. I jump across at one part and if not the there are many rocks big enough. But to be fair I don't know how high the water gets there in the spring. And to the people making it there stuff was all stowed around the area and it looks like they are coming back so hopefully they clean it up when they are completely done their project. Heading back out this Thursday for some more poking around. 1 question though. From moss rock, the trail to glacier bay is it hard to locate or is there a definite beginning? it be a great story later of how I got to glacier bay with no trial only to on the way back find that I was one ledge to far down or something.
Cheers Everyone
Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Summit Master

Hummmm , the pictures of "The creepy lake" didn't come up. I wonder if it is the same place I'm thinking of. Could you try reposting them?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Making gear, Customizing gear, Hiking about, Hammocking, Prospecting,Sasquatch Hunting, I also like to read

There we are got em up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Looks like some interesting old stuff there to pick the curiousity. Nice spot someone set up with all those woodem crosscuts taken out of a log.

K
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

Picked up others trash? Good on you!
Looks to be a fun place to explore. Way to tough it out!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

yeah the board walk is neat and well made and the other items are great but there was trash everywhere, you can see some still on the table and around the fire pit. Its a bit disappointing . Hopefully they get the rest clean up when they finish up.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Headed for the Mountains

To answer your questions Evan the cables you found are likely part of the burma bridge that was used to cross the river on the original route .
The flat area at the head of Alouette L had a lot of cedar and besides the original loggers has likely been reworked by the by cedar salvagers several times -- thats where a lot of the old buildings etc come from . In one location we came across a stainless steel kitchen counter sitting there in the bush and no sign of a building .
To get from the big rock on the Stave L shore to Glacier bay we followed the lakeshore walking on beaches where there are some and climbing up to avoid bluffs that drop into deep water . There is no real trail as such but a route with sections of trail . At no time did we have to go more than 100 ft or so above the lake. Sometimes the way ahead looks rather doubtful but there is always a way through . Might pay to take a machete -- there are some spots that are pretty thick .

Wulf
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Cheers again Wulf, I might have a looksee and see what i can come across around the rock. Its a neat area up there allways coming across something weird and new. So if any one needs a kitchen counter there one up there.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I walked in to the cabin about a week ago -- since I have been working in the area for the past weeks I thought I would point out that none of the construction and garbage by that creek is my doing . Very likely boaters ....
I also have no intention of packing their shit up the hill -- I have enough of my own stuff to lug up there ....

Wulf
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Hey Wulf hows your trial coming along? I found fishing rods, axes beer cans and a bunch of other stuff at who evers construcion site and a little cache of othe misc items under a massive tarp when i was last out. Im back in australia so havent been back latly but let us know if they ever get it cleaned up. The job is nice tho, but hope the garbage goes when they are done eh.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Headed for the Mountains

You would not recognize the trail -- it`s actually starting to look like one .... I was there this morning and everything at that campsite is where it was -- garbage included . I have flagged a route that bypasses that area and the cabin completely and is also considerably shorter and avoids most of the salmonberry patches. That way we won`t have the pigs on the trail and we can always reach the cabin by a short bushwhack if we want to go there .... One other plus is that this new route also intersects the old Stave ( boardwalk )trail .

Wulf
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Ah good on ya mate. I m looking forward to seeing the progress when im back next. Shame about the garbage eh.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I notice that the bottle of Cap. Morgan has not been drained since Ed and I passed through that abominable campsite - although it does appear to have a little less of the demon rum inside. [)]
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Headed for the Mountains

It`s still sitting on the table where it was -- did not look at how much was in it .... It doesn`t appear anybody has been back there lately . Maybe once they sobered up they realized that since that area is in the park somebody might not be too impressed with people cutting down large trees to play their games ....

Wulf

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page