Hikin' 9 to 5 for Ghostpass Lake June 24th - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing
Default Hikin' 9 to 5 for Ghostpass Lake June 24th

I tried getting to this lake some 4 years ago before the trail was rebuilt, but turned around due to lack of time. Since then, I've been wanting to return for a successful attempt. With the trail now having been rebuilt, the time for a second attempt was now favourable.
HikerDude1970 was also game for this adventure, so at 09:15 (the 9 part) we began our hike.
The trailhead is just over a mile east of Manning Park westgate. Park on the shoulder and look for telephone pole #366. The old engineers road heads uphill here.

Some 500 metres in, the true trailhead begins. From here, the trail rises steeply with switchbacks aplenty. 1000 feet of vertical later, the trail now drops steeply for a couple hundred feet of elevation loss and then levels off until reaching the 18 mile drainage.
One of the very few stops of interest along the way:

HD 1970 with the "morel" of the story

standing tall in the face of adversity!

Just over an hour into the hike comes the first creek crossing with no logs to be had. We had to ford the sucker.

HD1970 with a booboo!

The trail in one of it's nicer states. There's lots of flagging tape along the trail, and in some places you need it.

The second crossing. A nice log is here for crossing.

The third crossing. This is the north fork of 18 mile creek from Mt. outram. There's a decent log for crossing 100 yards upstream.

Typical forest scenes:

Shortly after the 3rd crossing, the trail deviates from the original pack trail and rises steeply up a small ridge

The trail pass.

Then the trail drops steeply to Ghostpass Lake

A couple of tree shots on the way back:
[ctImg]169937[/ctImg

If you like forest wanderings with acouple of stupid steep sections and creek crossings thrown in for fun in order to get to a bushy lake with no shore, then this is the trail for you.

We kept a moderate pace and it took us 4 hours to get to the lake. For the sake of doing something different, this could be a good hike to do. For Don and I it was one of those, "It was nice to have done it but I wouldn't do it again" kind of hikes.
The trail really wasn't reconstructed all that well and will fall back to the forest in short order if it isn't maintained.
After a 30 minute break at the lake, we returned and got back to the truck at 5 (3.5 hrs back).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Summit Master

I was thinking of checking this out with you,but it seems I did not miss much of a destination.I am sure the company would have been fun though
Thanks for taking the time to investigate.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, photography, computers, yoga and traveling.

The infamous GPL. Nice to see the report with all the photos!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Summit Master

Agree with what you said - it's an interesting hike for something different, but it's nothing special either.

Supposedly Mount Dewdney can be reached from Ghost Pass, which would probably be a fantastic hike.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

LOL, I think I might turn back at the log crossings (although I've never turned back yet, but cried a time or two). Seems like I may not go for this trail afterall. Maybe it was the universe's blessing that I was unable to make it? Don's booboo is the type of booboo I wish to only have for the rest of my life (can you hear me universe)?

Happy trails,
Lynn
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Seriously active hiker/ mountaineer/ canyoneer

Great report! But for a previous commitment, you might have had me along as well. Still contemplating a Ghostpass-Dewdney visit tomorrow, regardless of the distinctly moderate charms of the trail (ok, I admit it. I actually kind of dig the long, quiet trail in the woods)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 06:58 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Dewdney west ridge is an absolutely fantastic trip. We did it from the Sowaqua road, though. Karin and I once went up GPL trail before it was reestablished by WC2 and never went back. I think I'd rather go in from the north by the road. Like a lot of WC2 efforts, it's political rather than rational.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 06:58 AM

Yes, the infamous Ghost Pass Lake. Good on you guys for getting us a good report w/info & photos. I've heard that the trail and destination was not really worth the effort. I bet you guys had a great time anyway.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stoked

Dewdney west ridge is an absolutely fantastic trip. We did it from the Sowaqua road, though. Karin and I once went up GPL trail before it was reestablished by WC2 and never went back. I think I'd rather go in from the north by the road. Like a lot of WC2 efforts, it's political rather than rational.
Did you find the remains of the old pack trail that came in from Sowaqua, or was it a complete bushwack? (or both?)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Seriously active hiker/ mountaineer/ canyoneer

FWIW, in order to finish up summer project #1, I followed your footsteps into the lake today. Nice and quiet, although my attempt to cross over towards Dewdney from the highpoint failed rather quickly (small, dense trees, and lots of downhill). It didn't help that a fight with a rock at the first creek crossing left my leg in a somewhat ovoid form either. Best accomplished from the north, I suspect.

I note HD1970 has good morels. Not surprisingly, my "morelity" on this trip was of the more dubious variety...
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Your report tells it all, not worth the distance, time, and effort to come out and do this trail.
K
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

I don't know about that Karl; it really depends upon what you are after in a daytrip. It's just one of those kinds of trips that I'll do once and that's it, but I don't regret having done it once.
The thing is that there's other lake destinations around that are easier and definitely more worth the effort (even Pierce Lake falls into the latter category).
I'd say that HD1970 and I had ideal conditions as far as weather, trail condition (it was just completed last year so I don't think the trail itself will get any better) etc and I found it kinda bland.
Since it's in the new 103 hikes book it should see some activity, but I think this is gonna be one of those trails that will soon fall back into oblivion.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking,hiking,hiking and more hiking

Have to agree we had excellent conditions but the trail seemed to need too much effort for too little reward, although the roar of the creek always close and the trees shading our death march were nice to have around, beats the city any day! Maybe a nice summer day when the lake you can't reach the shore of is snow and ice free it will be a different perspective?
post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Summit Master

Nothing lost;something gained? hey good for you guys.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

There's lots of places like that for all of us. Still, nice to get out and give it a shot.
Tough crossing for the doggie, too? That's some thick forest.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page